2023 SA Paperwork?

Gluff

AH member
Reaction score
I am heading back to South Africa, I just want to make sure I have all my paperwork, correct . The last time I used a vendor and was charged about $2000. I figured I would save that and do it myself. WHAT ELSE DO I NEED AND WHERE DO I GET IT?
1.) plane ticket
2.) 4457 form
3.) ?
4.) ?

I am heading back to South Africa, I just want to make sure I have all my paperwork, correct . The last time I used a vendor and was charged about $2000. I figured I would save that and do it myself. WHAT ELSE DO I NEED AND WHERE DO I GET IT?
1.) plane ticket
2.) 4457 form
3.) ?
4.) ?
Your outfitter should be helping you too. Good for you on the DYI…

I use: https://riflepermits.com

Was that $2000 for the plane ticket too? I went with Gracy travel and they did the permit and meet and greet in Johannesburg. Came to $1750 with ticket and permit.

1.) plane ticket
2.) 4457 form
3.) ?
4.) ?
Outfitter invitation letter

Actually you can just copy the information off of your last SAP's paperwork.

Your 4457 you will get it from the last place that you picked one up, at a US Customs office. There is a copy of one on the forum here with no expiration date. Get that one and fill it out yourself as far as your rifle, then take it to the Customs office for them to stamp and sign it.

Your outfitter will send you your invitation letter.

Pass port, make sure of when it expires. At least 6 months past the time that you return home and that there are plenty of blank sheets in it.

A stool to sit on while all the other hunters who have a pre approved SAP's 520 get into the SAP's office and then leave before you.

You also didn't mention on where you are hunting. If you are being picked up in Joberg your outfitter should help you out on the paperwork.

Great advice posted above. I have used Mr. X's services on three trips to RSA and all were very smooth. $150 should get it done and of course you can TIP if you feel like it. Have a great safari.

its really very easy to yourself
saps 512 form
4457 usa form
physical copy of plane ticket showing return flight
copy of passport
invitation letter from outfitter

they check serial numbers on your rifle, you hand them all this paperwork which they check and you wait 30-40 mins max, they then issue you with temp import permit and you leave ......done

or you contact @riflepermits.com, henry Durrhein is very helpful and you send all of the above to him, he gets pre approved permit, they meet you at o r tambo take you to saps, they still check your serial numbers and you are done in about 10 minutes. cost about $150

1.) plane ticket
2.) 4457 form
3.) ?
4.) ?
Do you want to have riflepermits.com have your preapproved SAPS readyfor you on arrival? If so you need to sign and notarize a 4457 and a copy of your passport along with the SAPS for filled out.
I have TWG do all of this for me stateside and it is easy.
Who charged you $2000 and for what?

Also flights printed out, passport copies, outfitter pricelist/package etc. I put extra copies of everything in carry on, suitcase, and rifle case.
Best of luck,
Philip

Thank you all for the advice I did decide to go with Gracy, and for under 500 they are taking care of SAPS, ECT. Previous price mentioned in earlier post did include plane tickets, however this wasn’t made clear to me and i believe that is we’re some confusion about the price came from….

I am flying into Johannesburg.

So I have booked my 2023 hippo hunt for this may. I am looking forward to it. Is there anything I should pack? Or is there anything I should be aware of? Hunt is in SA, Limpopo area / Ellisrass

Any tips tricks, thoughts?
Using cz550 in 416 Rigby.

BTW thank you for all the advice and comments.

Last edited:
Read Jerome’s tip recommendations if your first trip. Watch Phillip Glass videos for packing. Have fun!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Imogen6571

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois