AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI (Sioux Falls, SD) RMEF, NWTF, NRA, NTA, BCSC, SDTA, NDTA, P&Y,
Hunted
Zimbabwe, New Zealand, Canada (Ontario,British Columbia,Manitoba), USA (Colorado,Montana,Wyoming,Texas,South Dakota), Africa(Limpopo,NW Province, East Cape, Kwazulu Natal,) Namibia x3,
To begin 2018's hunting adventures, I will be heading back to New Zealand in May for another Tahr for a lifesize mount. The Tahr I shot in 2015 was 12 1/2 yrs. old, skinny and not suitable for a full mount.
Wallabe's which I was not able to hunt the first trip cuz of snow storm. Then likely Chamois by the twisting of my arm from the outfitter who has offered a can not refuse price including the helicopter ride. California Quail, Paradise Ducks if time.

I have applied for a Mountain Goat tag on Kodiak Island for this fall. I will find out on the draw in mid February. If I do not draw the goat tag, my back up plan is to head to Africa to complete my Tiny 10. I am in need of Suni, Red Duiker, Sharps Grysbok which are the toughest and most expensive of the ten.

The two SA provinces for these critters is Limpopo for the Grysbok, KwaZulu Natal for Suni and Red Duiker and would require a lot of traveling between. What I have been finding out with the Suni's is much of their area has been closed to hunting them and permits are not plentiful.

Mozambique has popped up on the radar as a place to hunt the toughest 3 Tiny 10's. Here I can hunt all 3 out of the same camp, less traveling, less days to book because Suni and Red Duiker are very plentiful and I mean plentiful. Suni sightings 100-200 per day, and Duiker 200-300 per day. Sharps very good quality but not as plentiful.

On a scale of 1 being easy and 10 very difficult to hunt,
Suni a 2
Duiker a 2
Sharps a 4

And to top this all off, the quoted price is thousands less then SA quotes. The daily rate is higher, but TF's are so much cheaper. The outfitter has been featured on Buck McNeally's hunting show.

Mozambique is all free range and wild.

"A dream can be relived, again and again in Africa."

Highly recommend Mozambique for many of the little guys. Have hunted the Zambezi Delta twice - both times with Grant Taylor's Mashambanzou Safaris www.mashambanzousafaris.com . Suni were indeed like rabbits; Red Duiker were abundant (saw 15 - 20 a day when hunting them); Oribi were plentiful (inexpensive with no restrictions), common duiker were - well - common; and blue duiker were difficult but readily available. Grant's team is terrific as well.

Of course there are a bunch of really big beasts as well.

Sounds like a great year upcoming! Moz would be cool hope you get to go! I spoke with 3 Moz outfitters in Dallas, and all had lots of Tiny 10 pics and lots of opportunities.

Hope you get the tags you applied for.

Hi Red Legs, thanks for your reply. Grant is who I have been in contact with.
Never thought I would be looking at Mozambique for a hunting trip.
Been twice to Namibia, once to Zim, with 10 total hunts in Africa. Guess it is good to spread the wings.

Best of luck - sounds like you've got a busy year ahead of you!

Hi Red Legs, thanks for your reply. Grant is who I have been in contact with.
Never thought I would be looking at Mozambique for a hunting trip.
Been twice to Namibia, once to Zim, with 10 total hunts in Africa. Guess it is good to spread the wings.
He has a few big critters as well ;)

Oh my! What a grand year you’re looking at! I can hardly wait to see pictures and read your reports!
Don’t guess I need to say this, but have an awesome year!

Yes Ridgewalker, I'm looking forward to it.
I still do not know how to operate the forum. Huh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LavadaMacG

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.