2 on 1 Hunt?

bee keeper

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
NRA
If a hunt is, let's say, USD 5000,- 2 on 1.
This means 2 hunters and one PH, that I understand.
But is it then USD 5000,- p/p ?
And if a list of 5 animals is given for that package, does that mean that the two hunters each can shoot 5 animals or that the 2 hunters can shoot 5 animals together ?

I believe that is $5000 per person, 1 PH for both of you, and each person gets to shoot 5 animals each

You are correct Scott!

A two on one hunt can be fantastic, or it can be a disaster. The main problem with it is that while one hunter is hunting, the other is not. If one hunter feels that he is not getting enough hunting time or has to settle for lessor trophies in order to allow time for his partner to hunt, this can create a problem. In my opinion, 2x1 hunting works best where one, or both, of the hunters involved is as emotionally invested in the success of the other as he is in his own success. An example is a parent/child hunt. It can be a disaster if both hunters are highly competitive. I have hunted both 1x1 and 2x1 and have enjoyed each, but each time that I was 2x1 I was hunting with my son or a friend who was on a first African hunt and I had already taken my prime trophy. If the main reason for hunting 2x1 is economic I would suggest that you be careful. If you can afford 1x1 go that route, if not, be very careful of who you choose as the second hunter. I would never do a 2x1 dangerous game hunt.

A two on one hunt can be fantastic, or it can be a disaster. The main problem with it is that while one hunter is hunting, the other is not. If one hunter feels that he is not getting enough hunting time or has to settle for lessor trophies in order to allow time for his partner to hunt, this can create a problem. In my opinion, 2x1 hunting works best where one, or both, of the hunters involved is as emotionally invested in the success of the other as he is in his own success. An example is a parent/child hunt. It can be a disaster if both hunters are highly competitive. I have hunted both 1x1 and 2x1 and have enjoyed each, but each time that I was 2x1 I was hunting with my son or a friend who was on a first African hunt and I had already taken my prime trophy. If the main reason for hunting 2x1 is economic I would suggest that you be careful. If you can afford 1x1 go that route, if not, be very careful of who you choose as the second hunter. I would never do a 2x1 dangerous game hunt.

Hunting dangerous game like the big 5 is typically done on a 1 x 1 basis, because of the danger involved.

I have only been on one safari, but I went 1X1. I was bowhunting so I'm sure rifle hunting would be different, but the only way I will go 2X1 is if it was with my son or my wife. I felt that having the PH in the blind with me 100 percent of the time was invaluable. Plus I think I had more fun this way than if I was alone. Just my $0.02.

nd

Hey Guys,
I think you might be looking a bit too much into the 2 on 1 thing. Its a chance thing. A lot of the times one client wants to take species that are different to his partner's. Otherwise a lot of the game is in teh same area , so I you see a nice Impala, flip a coin. The next impala is the other guy's chance. I've had two friends who did a 2-on-1 and it was great. We took about 12 animals in 7 days. Great fun. It should not be about competing who gets the best animals. like these two guys both wanted warthog. The one guy shot a beast and the other guy, I never quite found one that was good enough to bag. He ended up going home without one, but next time , i'm sure he'll be up first on the warthog.

Generally the 2-1 safari is not the best idea, but it can work if both parties make some plan properly long before the safari begins. How this works can depend on what type safari it is.

If the safari is a package of animals for each hunter then a schedule needs to be worked out as to shooting order is set before the hunt starts. One of the best ways to do this is, to flip a coin to see who starts in the shooter seat first. When an animal is encountered the guy in the shooter seat, has the right to take or turn down. If the animal is turned down, then the two hunter trade places and the other hunter may take the animal or not. If both turn down the shot, then the first hunter remains the shooter until the next animal is encountered, and the process is repeated.

It makes no difference if dangerous game is involved, the two on one can still work the same basic way. The only difference is you need to decide what is to happen after the shooter fires the first shot that doesn’t stop or put the dangerous animal down.

If the animal is running away it is customary for the shooter to follow up his own shot till the animal is either down or out of sight. If OTH, the animal decides to take you on, then it must have been discussed before the hunt started whether the PH, and/or the other hunter joins in to stop the animal. In most cases of the charge, the PH needs no permission to shoot to avoid someone being hurt or killed, but the other hunter does, and the rules need to be set before the hunt starts. The animal involved is still the property of the original shooter, no matter who places the stopping shot.

In a two on one safari both hunters must be willing to go home with lesser animals of the total take, or not collect one or the other of the package, and each pay their own trophy fees, and dip and ship!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you