1st trip in 22 days!

Roy, sounds like you've done a good job planning your tirp. The plane ride is long but endurable. Put your copy of the Perfect Shot Africa Mini into your carry on so you can go through it several more times. A couple of meals, a couple movies and a short snooze and you'll be there. You only go on ONE first African hunt. Enjoy every minute of it. Looking forward to reading your report and seeing your photos.

All I can say is good luck and enjoy! We are headed to RSA in 35 days for our first time. Getting super antsy myself. Mr. X from what I hear is top-notch in getting your paperwork in order. We sent him our prepped forms a week ago and he said "Good to go!"

At present, South Africa is on Level 6 of 'load shedding', meaning they will be without power 6 hours a day, and the time of day they are without power can change daily. My suggestion is to take a rechargeable 'power bank', say 10,000AHM's that has one or two USB plug ins, that way if you are back in camp and there is no electric, you can still charge your phone, flashlight, anything electrical. I was just in Cameroon last week, the only power was the generator, it was on 2 hours a day, the power bank completely saved me, had it not been for that my phone would have been dead and I could not use it take pictures, send messages. Also, WhatsApp is the way to go for messaging service in South Africa. I would ask loved ones that you want to be able to message with to download WhatsApp, then get each other connected before you go. Do not forget your electric converter from US electric to South Africa electric, lastly, take your hunting clothes in a backpack with you, on 3 occasions my luggage did not arrive, I was thankful to have my clothes and medicines with me.

Put something personally identifying on your gun case. You picked the most popular case, and in a stack of 15 it takes a minute to spot yours (ask me how I know :cautious:).

For my last 2 trips I put Apple AirTags in my luggage and backpack. When my guns went missing one trip I was able to quickly show the airlines exactly where my guns were. If you do this, I’d name the AirTag in your luggage, as luggage, and your gun case, as gun case. That way you’ll know which bag is actually missing.

Make copies of everything paper you take along. Passport, drivers license, birth certificate, 4457, credit cards, and leave it with someone you can contact via WhatsApp 24/7 to request a scanned copy. Enjoy your trip.

Have fun on your upcoming first safari. You’ll be back again. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.

We are headed out on May 12 for our first trip. We will be there for 16 days.

This deserves a quote:
“The only man I envy is the man who has not yet been to Africa - for he has so much to look forward to."
Richard Mullin

Take lots of pictures. even of the food.

Good luck, you should be pleased with Lauriston taxidermy, they did some good work
for me and a buddy back in 2018/19. Who are you hunting with?

Good luck, you should be pleased with Lauriston taxidermy, they did some good work
for me and a buddy back in 2018/19. Who are you hunting with?
Intaba Safaris with Eugene Erasmus. I’ll be meeting Greg Dixon the owner of Lauriston after we land in PO on Monday morning on the way to camp.

Roy

Intaba Safaris with Eugene Erasmus. I’ll be meeting Greg Dixon the owner of Lauriston after we land in PO on Monday morning on the way to camp.

Roy
He’s a great guy. Shoot straight and stay down wind.
David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg