1st trip in 22 days!

Rtsj

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Wheels up April 22nd for my first trip. 8 days hunting 9 nights. Flying from Pitt to Atlanta then onto Johannasberg. Overnighting at the Afton House. Used their VIP meet-n-greet and Mr X for permit. Early flight the next morning (6am) on Airlink to Port Elizabeth. Then a 2.5 hour drive to the lodge. Hunting the Eastern cape near Adelaide/Fort Beaufort area. Taking my lefty Sako Custom Deluxe 375H&H topped with a Leupold vari X iii 2.5-8x36 and shooting 275gr Hammer Sledgehammers at 2640fps. Also taking my lefty Custom 7mag topped with a Leupold VX 6 3-18x44 shooting 180gr Lapua Scenars at 2956fps. Will be taking my TBAC Ultra 7 for the 7Mag as well. Guns and ammo all packed and everything set out to pack my carry on and checked bag. Just want to spray down my outer layers with Permethrin a day or 2 before we leave and let dry. Think I’m ready!

My package is kudu, Nyala, gemsbuck, waterbuck and zebra. Plan on adding a bushbuck and eland to do the spiral slam as well. Also will add an Impala, blue wildebeest and warthog if a good trophy presents itself. Will shoulder mount everything except a flat tan on the zebra and BW. Having Lauriston Taxidermy do the dip/pack/crate. Will use African Trophy exports to ship(who Lauriston uses and has been using). Using Genus Logostics in JFK for import. Then shipping to the Wildlife Gallery in Michigan for the tanning. Wildlife gallery makes a spring and fall road trip to drop off/pick up hides through Pa and have coordinated with them to do it this way and save quite a bit on shipping. Then will drop off all to my local taxidermist I’ve been using for 30 years.

Been all over North America and Canada but nothing international. 15 hours on a plane sounds awful! I took seat 37A (window) both ways so u hope I can sleep. Traveling with my buddy I met on here (Hyde Hunter) a buddy and his wife then another buddy and his whole family. 4 of us are hunting, 4 are just doing excursions and sightseeing

Any words of advice or wisdom to share? I know take half the cloths and double the money and yea I’m already planning a return in 2025 for Buff! Lol Man I’m so freaking pumped!!!!

Thanks
Roy

Case with new foam freshly cut for the 2 mentioned rifles.

417629BB-5241-4E9D-AA29-7C59F52345C4.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you have it all planned out. Best of luck, have fun, be safe. Look forward to the details when you are back. Only 11 weeks from today until my son and I leave for our first RSA trip. I get the excitement!

Nice part of the world. Fort Beaufort produces excellent quality oranges although it might be a bit early in the season. Some unique habitat types there and associated game and birds. Also interesting geology rich in fossils of pre-mammalian reptiles so keep a look out. Could still be hot this time of year so pack a few extra sachets of electrolytes just incase. Enjoy your trip and be sure to up date the group afterwards.

Don’t forget your binoculars and realize you are pumped now but nowhere near the excitement of being there. Enjoy and please keep us updated

Don’t forget your binoculars and realize you are pumped now but nowhere near the excitement of being there. Enjoy and please keep us updated
Taking my Vortex Viper 10x42 on a Rick Young harness. Couldn’t imagine hunting anything without binos. Would be awful! Lol

Roy

Reactions: USN
Roy,

Sounds like you are pretty well dialed in. Take lots of good pictures and not just of your trophies. Enjoy the time with your friends. Most of all, just make sure to take it all in and appreciate where you are at. It all comes at you pretty fast while you’re on safari, especially your first one, just savor the little moments and enjoy. Looking forward to reading the hunting report.

I don’t know how I forgot this as well but I’m having my whole trip Videoed by HH media. This to me was a No brainer!

Roy

Breeeathe. :giggle:

Sounds like you have a great trip planned. Use that 15hr flight to get some sleep. Don't forget to pump the brakes once in awhile while you're there to soak it all in, the time will fly by as it is.
Best of luck!

Sounds like you’re all lined out. The only advice I can give, is enjoy every minute! You won’t get another first safari. Enjoy the trip over (I know 16 hours on a plane doesn’t sound enjoyable, but watching movies, while eating and drinking, is not exactly roughing it!) Be patient when the unavoidable glitches rear their ugly head. It’s all part of the adventure. When you finally get to PE, it will all be worth it. I’m looking forward to reading your trip report. Good luck!

Good luck and safe travels. I will be watching for a detailed report on your return, so make sure you take a journal to document your trip...

Good luck and safe travels. I will be watching for a detailed report on your return, so make sure you take a journal to document your trip...
Better yet I’ll post the video(having the full hunt videoed by HH media) along with the report.

Roy

Myself and group fly out of ATL to JOBURG on the 19th. This is my second trip over and a first for all the others. Get ready for an awesome time. We will be a bit north of you near Thabazimbi hunting with Limcroma Safaris.

My first trip over with them was nothing short of AMAZING!

I'm sure that your going to have an epic safari. Go and soak it all in. enjoy the trip and shoot straight.
Bruce

That plane ride sucks no matter what. Bigger deal is you are headed to Africa.
Enjoy yourself. Take pictures of everything.

Awesome. Have fun!

Cant wait to see the video and the hunt report when you get back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you