175gr Nosler Partition in 7x64

I haven't tried it yet in my .257 Roberts. I will look up some loads. With powder availability so difficult here, I want to use the 4 lbs. of N150 I was able to buy recently.
There is some data out there. I bought the cartridge specific loading book. Not a lot of the + P loadings.

I have used Gordon's Reloading Tool to come up with some load data I find believable.

N150 is a very flexible powder with a lot of uses.

Scrummy

Hello Scrumbag,

I use my 7x64, when I had it, mainly with 173 RWS H-Mantel and 175 grs Nosler. For big Red Deer and Wild boar I think that were perfect!!
I use both R22 and IMR 7828. I consider powders in that range as the best for that bullets. I would use the N165.
With both powders I got 2750 f/s in my Mannlicher-Schoenauer GK 60 cm barrel lenght. A safe maximun load. I think you should get the same with the N165.
Good luck!

CF

Hello Scrumbag,

I use my 7x64, when I had it, mainly with 173 RWS H-Mantel and 175 grs Nosler. For big Red Deer and Wild boar I think that were perfect!!
I use both R22 and IMR 7828. I consider powders in that range as the best for that bullets. I would use the N165.
With both powders I got 2750 f/s in my Mannlicher-Schoenauer GK 60 cm barrel lenght. A safe maximun load. I think you should get the same with the N165.
Good luck!

CF
Thanks CF!

I currently have some factory Sako 150gr Arrowhead II which I will shoot off first then I will get on with the Nosler Partitions.

There is something to be said for a nice, heavy, slow bullet ;)

Well, 2750, perhaps 2800 f/s un your 26" barrel, is not exactly slow velocity! More with 175 grs bullets.
Good luck!

CF
I also have some Reload Swiss RS70 which is similar to RL22/26. I should be able to get into the mid 2800 fps according to the software I have

I have loaded a 180gr ELD-M which I have shot out to 1,200 yds with a similar charge of RS70. It's quite accurate and safe (in fact Reload Swiss put the data on their website and sent me a free cap) but you are very aware you pulled the trigger... ;)

Scrummy

I have read stellar reports about the RS powders! Very unlikely to have them here. For a long time unfortunately...
Best!

CF
So far they seem to be very good. Certainly in Europe Viht and RS are squaring off to corner the F-Class scene. Certainly doing well with UK match rifle.

Scrummy

I have N160 too and it is a good powder for the 7x64 certainly.

Any particular reason for N160 over N165? The Viht website suggests N165 gives slightly better velocity than N160.

Scrummy
The load data of Vith is very conservative regarding charge weight. Real world performance should be better with a good amount of N160.

I get top velocitys with 2520 equiv. D073.6 and a light lead free bullet.

Mid weight lead free runs nice with N550.

The performance of a 7x64 really starts to shine, if a reloader knows, what he is doing.

The load data of Vith is very conservative regarding charge weight. Real world performance should be better with a good amount of N160.

I get top velocitys with 2520 equiv. D073.6 and a light lead free bullet.

Mid weight lead free runs nice with N550.

The performance of a 7x64 really starts to shine, if a reloader knows, what he is doing.
Oh I agree, is a very useful chambering. This year I am going to try the 185gr Nosler RDF at 1,000 / 1,100 and 1,200 yds so that will be interesting.

I have an OK shooting non-lead load with the 139gr Hornady GMX which also shoots well in my fathers rifle with N160

However, Hornady GMX is hard to get at the moment so I am considering experimenting with the 150gr Peregrine bullets.

Scrummy

Thanks @sestoppelman
Had a play with Gordon's Reloading Tool (like quickload) and with less than the max book load of N165 I'm into the 2700s which is probably going to do most of what I want it to do. Not a seriously long range load so the extra 100 fps probably not an issue as I already have N165 on hand.

Do you reckon it would be worth a crimp? Also maybe a magnum primer?
GRT works pretty well in my experience, especially with consistent stable powders (Viht, Hodgdon, Alliant/Reloder have all yielded results very close to the GRT prediction)

On the primers - I doubt you'll find more than 10f/s difference with magnum vs std, if that. Which the statisticians would say is 'statistically insignificant'. In other words, use what you like.

I wouldn't bother with crimping either - if you're chasing consistency (which is fundamental to accuracy/repeatability) then crimping is another source of potential error and not so easy to do identically round after round. Basic case prep including annealing and run-out measurement/control is likely to contribute more to accuracy IMO. I am presuming that crimping is being considered for accuracy purposes rather controlling bullet setback.

GRT works pretty well in my experience, especially with consistent stable powders (Viht, Hodgdon, Alliant/Reloder have all yielded results very close to the GRT prediction)

On the primers - I doubt you'll find more than 10f/s difference with magnum vs std, if that. Which the statisticians would say is 'statistically insignificant'. In other words, use what you like.

I wouldn't bother with crimping either - if you're chasing consistency (which is fundamental to accuracy/repeatability) then crimping is another source of potential error and not so easy to do identically round after round. Basic case prep including annealing and run-out measurement/control is likely to contribute more to accuracy IMO. I am presuming that crimping is being considered for accuracy purposes rather controlling bullet setback.

More for consistent ignition my friend ;)

Crimping was more to do with getting consistency in terms of ignition but I think you are right. Decent stick powder should be fine without and standard primers.

Scrummy

I have used N160 and Nosler partition 160 gr. bullets in several 7x64 Rifles with excellent velocity, accuracy, and good hunting success. I expect that you will be happy with the slightly heavier bullet and slightly slower burning powder. Good luck hunting!

I have used N160 and Nosler partition 160 gr. bullets in several 7x64 Rifles with excellent velocity, accuracy, and good hunting success. I expect that you will be happy with the slightly heavier bullet and slightly slower burning powder. Good luck hunting!
Thank you, sir!

@Scrumbag
Mate you should know but now.
Rules 1 wife is always right
Rule 2 if wife is wrong refer to rule one.
To keep peace and harmony in the house always make sure that you as the male and head of the house always gets the last words in any arguments with said wife.
Those words being YES DEAR.

Just for fun I took my wife up to echo point and told her to try and get the last word now darling. I can almost see out of the both eyes again and should be able to eat solid food again next month. We won't mention just being able t ok walk now.
Bob.
Enjoy both! My wife (of near term Croatian extraction) is firmly of the opinion I should shoot more wild boar...c

No I don't usually crimp unless a load seems to be not doing what I want it to (Certainly tightens up my .223 FMJ loads).

I do wonder about the mag primer for the slower burners and that long case. Might be worth 10rds as an experiement.
@Scrumbag
I only use standard primers in both my 25 and Whelen
The 25 is using 58 grains of a slow ball powder and the Whelen is using up to 66 grains of a medium ball powder and I have zero problems.
Bob.

Hi Rookhawk, thanks for the heads up. I will watch for it and see what happens.

The Partition mainly came about as there was a retailer selling them off at half price and free delivery so I picked up 200 of them ;)

I am starting to look into non-lead as it seems to be coming here. Loaded some GMX up and they shot fairly accurately. No chance for on-game experiementation yet though
@Scrumbag
You are starting to sound like a tight arse Scott's man than a Taffey.
Bob

Hello Mike.

The Twist rate is a rather quick 1:8.2"

160gr is certainly an option and would work with 160gr Partition and either the softpoint / hp Sierra Gameking of the same weight.

I have some N150 and use it in my 9.3x62 and my 257 Roberts

Scrummy
@Scrumbag
I'm amazed no one has mentioned the SSTs. Amazing bullets that expand quickly and hold together well. Cheaper than nosler as well.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg