AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
BASC, SCI
Hunted
Europe
Hi folks,

I've been reading Pierre van der Walt's African Medium Game cartrdige book during lockdown and it has prompted me to get the reloading dies out.

I'm looking at developing a shorter range brush hunting load for my 7x64 (The rifle is throated to shoot pointy ~165gr bullets well so does not like to chamber the 165gr Geco Factory bullets I used to use in my old 7x64 as a hunting load)

My problem is the Geco Round Nose reaches the Ogive at ~6.5 mm from the bullet tip so I'm faced with something like this:

1595755823448.png

So, I have the following questions:

Which of these 175gr bullets should I try out as a close range / wild pig load?

Hornady Interlock Spire Point ~£40 / 100
Sierra Gameking SBT ~£40 / 100
Nosler Partition ~£60 / 50

There is a slight monetary aspect to my question as I like Partitions but now sure they are worth 3x the cost!

Thanks in advance

Scrummy

1595755391184.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve always had great faith in Sierra bullets regardless of the caliber. Would I use 175gr in my 7x57 for boar ? Yes and I have. Should work in your 7x64, a 7x57 on steroids

Speer 175s are another option and the price is reasonable.

If you have access to Speer Grand Slam bullets their 175 gr. Is less $$ than Nosler and have a heavy tapered jacket, which should work well.

I’ve always had great faith in Sierra bullets regardless of the caliber. Would I use 175gr in my 7x57 for boar ? Yes and I have. Should work in your 7x64, a 7x57 on steroids

Many thanks!

Just want to check that the Ogive is far enough back to work with my chamber.

Scrummy

May be too long for your application and also more expensive but Berger makes a 175 hybrid ogive.

It’s not on your preferred list but how about the Norma Oryx 170gr?

Hi Scrumbag,

Any of the three options will work great. Of course, the Nosler P is the Nr. 1 for me, but any of the other two will work very well for your needs. I have used them all. If not the NP my pick would be the Hornady Interlock. Always works as intended!
Good luck!

CF

If you have access to Speer Grand Slam bullets their 175 gr. Is less $$ than Nosler and have a heavy tapered jacket, which should work well.

Thanks for the heads up. I'd forgotten about Speer.

May be too long for your application and also more expensive but Berger makes a 175 hybrid ogive.

I suspect I might well have the OAL issue. Really looking for something with the weight at the back.

Have you considered 175 grain Woodleigh soft point bullets ? They are excellent , in terms of quality .

whet are you shooting?
175 gn 7mm bullets are long, and you might not need controlled expansion.
whatever your bullet, you have to load it to a length that fits your chamber and that is it.
do you need a 175 gn bullet anyway?
a 140 gn barnes or swift might be all you need.
bruce.

I would think any heavy for caliber bullet at moderate velocities should be fine for 'short range brush hunting'. I'd first try the cheapest 175gn bullet you can find and seat it to where it functions properly, you don't need a lot of speed. With the 7x64 you should have more than enough case volume.

yes but a harder 140 gn that will do the same job will offer greater versatility.
in the days of the old dead guys, the opposite could be argued.
bruce.

I’d go with the Speer for thin skinned game and the A-Frame for tougher species.

whet are you shooting?
175 gn 7mm bullets are long, and you might not need controlled expansion.
whatever your bullet, you have to load it to a length that fits your chamber and that is it.
do you need a 175 gn bullet anyway?
a 140 gn barnes or swift might be all you need.
bruce.

Thinking mainly for pigs and some of the larger fallow / reds we have but I found for our muntjac as well, a heavier bullet not going too fast is advantageous.

My syndicate has muntjac, roe, fallow and red deer so body weights from 20lbs to a couple of hundred. In some ways a big, slow, relatively soft bullet is very flexible at woodland ranges.

Scrummy

They’d my concern too.
I used 160 grain Bullets driven really hard.

knowing the game, i alter the suggestion to 150 gn aframes at full velocity.
they are equal to 180 gn 30 cal in s.d., and will be good on red.
on the smaller deer they do not blow up and will still preserve meat.
still good for pigs.
and if things have to be shot through bushes the relatively flat trajectory will thread through gaps.
and if something does appear further out, you can still aim dead on.
bruce.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snowlimitless

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross