Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa
Thought today would be a good day to start a positive outlook on things. Lots of bs and conjecture floating around and I thought maybe we all just needed something to do with our "down" time. Here are ten ideas to use to spend the day in a positive manner. Please add to the list if you have some good ideas:

1. Wash the windows-including the screens and the track the window slides in. Inside and outside even the blinds. At my house I do the windows and tracks and 14 year old daughter Scout cleans the blinds.

2. Shoot a bb gun. I have four kids and we pulled out the pink red ryder and shot pop cans and milk jugs and army men and stuff my little guy built out of legos. Even I-the great hunter, shooter, food gatherer of the family had a blast shooting the smallest gun we own.

3. Clean the garage. Cleaning will be a staple on the list-winter has just ended and there is much cleaning to be done. . .

4. Tie some flies. Most of you have a fly tying kit and a treasure chest worth of feathers and chenille. Time to tidy up that kit then get it messy again. Two months from now Strawberry res. cutthroats will destroy anything wooly and dark. I hope to ruin their day. Wish I could get to the Green River but I heard the runoff has it running high, hard and fast. So maybe in afew months.

5. ReVisit the reloading bench-recently someone started a great post about showing our reloading benches (brilliant post by the way) and it was clear that some of us need to clean and organize and throw away and start all over. I've been doing load work up with 300 grain A frame for my .375 wby. Need to shoot it some more but I only go on days when it is about 65 degrees and those have been scarce lately. Clean, shoot, reload, repeat process! Not sure why I have over 800 pieces of .30-06 brass

6. Clean all the guns. Deep clean, bolts, trigger mech's and all. Most mine are done, a toothpick with a label on it sticking out of the bore that reads "clean" and the date shows me which are good and which need some love.

7. Speaking of love, I'm pretty tired of spending so much time with my wife but I think I will use today to get her some flowers and a little note to tell her I still love her. Can't buy flowers? Dandelion boquet will do-its the thought that counts-but my tulips are showing off so maybe some of those today.

8. Fertilize the lawn is already done so maybe tune up the lawnmower. I use a push one cause I like the exercise. Needs oil changed, new spark plug, blade sharpened and wire brush cleaning. While I'm at it, the barbeque could use some attention.

9. Both sets of parents are still alive (mine and my wifes) and quarantined so will have the kids write them some homemade cards or something on those lines and mail them. MAIL! not e mail, but the real thing, handwritten, the only cut and paste allowed by my five year old son who will make them a craft. Maybe some of you could do the same for your kids or hunting buddies. Include a photograph, it will make somebodies day.

10. Spend some time with a book. I've been watching "This is Africa" tv show on youtube and have finished the series. So time to start a classic. Yes probably some Ruark but I think Hemingway, no not the book you are all thinking of-I think today is a good day to reread "For Whom the Bell Tolls." Maybe "To Kill a Mockingbird" since thats where we got Scout's name, or the book that makes me cry every single time I read it and you darn well better too-"Where the Red Fern Grows"

10.5. My kids just asked if we could set up a tent and play in it. A bit chilly outside for that so we will set up the two man backpack tent in the basement. They could even sleep there if they want. Maybe break out the dutch ovens or the camp chef and make dinner on those-- or not that would require more cleaning!

I like these ideas! Especially the flowers for the wife!

I’ll add one:
11. Think of things to do with extra animal skins. Last week I dropped of the smaller pieces of an eland hide to be made into broadhead wallets, a couple small scope bags and a padded bag for my spotting scopes. The guy who makes them is reasonable, likely will be around $250-$300. I could also use a couple hide and foam barrel covers to go on the barrel when it is sitting in the truck with the barrel on the floor.

As said by @Tra3 +1 on the flowers.

My addition - Empty the freezer and run the smoker.
We thawed out a venison roast from last hunting season.
Sliced it thin and had it in a marinade for a couple of days.
Smoked at 180F for 4-5 hours and it's done.
Enjoying a beer and some jerky right now.

Thought today would be a good day to start a positive outlook on things. Lots of bs and conjecture floating around and I thought maybe we all just needed something to do with our "down" time. Here are ten ideas to use to spend the day in a positive manner. Please add to the list if you have some good ideas:

1. Wash the windows-including the screens and the track the window slides in. Inside and outside even the blinds. At my house I do the windows and tracks and 14 year old daughter Scout cleans the blinds.

2. Shoot a bb gun. I have four kids and we pulled out the pink red ryder and shot pop cans and milk jugs and army men and stuff my little guy built out of legos. Even I-the great hunter, shooter, food gatherer of the family had a blast shooting the smallest gun we own.

3. Clean the garage. Cleaning will be a staple on the list-winter has just ended and there is much cleaning to be done. . .

4. Tie some flies. Most of you have a fly tying kit and a treasure chest worth of feathers and chenille. Time to tidy up that kit then get it messy again. Two months from now Strawberry res. cutthroats will destroy anything wooly and dark. I hope to ruin their day. Wish I could get to the Green River but I heard the runoff has it running high, hard and fast. So maybe in afew months.

5. ReVisit the reloading bench-recently someone started a great post about showing our reloading benches (brilliant post by the way) and it was clear that some of us need to clean and organize and throw away and start all over. I've been doing load work up with 300 grain A frame for my .375 wby. Need to shoot it some more but I only go on days when it is about 65 degrees and those have been scarce lately. Clean, shoot, reload, repeat process! Not sure why I have over 800 pieces of .30-06 brass

6. Clean all the guns. Deep clean, bolts, trigger mech's and all. Most mine are done, a toothpick with a label on it sticking out of the bore that reads "clean" and the date shows me which are good and which need some love.

7. Speaking of love, I'm pretty tired of spending so much time with my wife but I think I will use today to get her some flowers and a little note to tell her I still love her. Can't buy flowers? Dandelion boquet will do-its the thought that counts-but my tulips are showing off so maybe some of those today.

8. Fertilize the lawn is already done so maybe tune up the lawnmower. I use a push one cause I like the exercise. Needs oil changed, new spark plug, blade sharpened and wire brush cleaning. While I'm at it, the barbeque could use some attention.

9. Both sets of parents are still alive (mine and my wifes) and quarantined so will have the kids write them some homemade cards or something on those lines and mail them. MAIL! not e mail, but the real thing, handwritten, the only cut and paste allowed by my five year old son who will make them a craft. Maybe some of you could do the same for your kids or hunting buddies. Include a photograph, it will make somebodies day.

10. Spend some time with a book. I've been watching "This is Africa" tv show on youtube and have finished the series. So time to start a classic. Yes probably some Ruark but I think Hemingway, no not the book you are all thinking of-I think today is a good day to reread "For Whom the Bell Tolls." Maybe "To Kill a Mockingbird" since thats where we got Scout's name, or the book that makes me cry every single time I read it and you darn well better too-"Where the Red Fern Grows"

10.5. My kids just asked if we could set up a tent and play in it. A bit chilly outside for that so we will set up the two man backpack tent in the basement. They could even sleep there if they want. Maybe break out the dutch ovens or the camp chef and make dinner on those-- or not that would require more cleaning!

“For Whom the Bell Tolls” is a great read. I might read it again once I’ve finished my set of Corbett’s writing.

My guns are all shiny clean as are my windows. I want to try a new load for my 9.3x74R but need to get a different powder for it (RS60) so will have to wait. I’ll do my first loads for 416Rem in the next few days but won’t be able to test it for who knows how long as all the ranges are closed. I’ve also got a reloading chore to tend to. I need to trim and chamfer 223 brass for my AR. Some 1200pcs and I hate trimming brass with passion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaja

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,