Action Bob,

Too right, If only there were rational people that we could rely on. In 1995 my father in law brought 20 Elephants from the Kruger National park to the reserve. As of October 2019 there were 127 elephants. If that’s not a conservation success story and does not validate a import permit then nothing will.
The problem is they are not even looking at the applications.

Rational peope would likely think that if any elephant is importable into the US, this one should be;)

But you are totally correct in implying that the real trophy is the experience of hunting a bull elephant. :)

HI, would an O/U double in 9,3x74R be enough for this elephant? thanks.

Legal minimum is .375 caliber 9.3 is below that. Personally, I would want something with even more oomph. Never been a guy where the minimum is good enough for me. ;)

I will caveat this with the fact that I have never hunted elephant . . . my view is that one of the most exciting parts of any hunt is curating an appropriate rifle for the task, practicing with the rifle and leading it to glory. I look as all big hunts as an excuse to think through a new rig for the task at hand.

Well, the question was "legal country", that need a serious answer, is USA really a legal country or not ?

I feel like peope are still not really understanding the issue fully. So I'd like to try to explain again. I apologize if I'm off a bit on timing or exact facts.

Hi Tanks

Yes it is exportable out of SA, just not to USA under current Fish and Wildlife regulations.

Regards
Dave
Actually the regulations do allow for importation of elephant trophies into the US. Again, the issue is that the beurocrats are not doing their jobs. They are simply not processing the applications.

Well, the question was "legal country", that need a serious answer, is USA really a legal country or not ?
Yes it is legal to import elephant trophies into the US if they meet the qualifications. The most illegal thing about this whole situation is the agency ignoring the applications and not doing their jobs. And doing so under direction by the president. Via tweet. Who could have imagined back in the days of Reagan that such a travesty could happen?
Answered as a NO by the outfitter himself on post #8.
See K-man's post below for more of the truth.
Not to answer for the OP, but elephants from RSA are importable, BUT the US is on a "case by case" basis which means it is importable , unless they find a reason not to, or there is a full moon that month, or Covid-19 makes a backlog, or we have a change in leadership in Nov, or any other reason a bureaucrat can come up with until you force them to do their job with a legal finding...

Elephants are actually importable from many African countries under the current "case by case basis " rules. Including Zimbabwe which has become the place for great deals on elephant hunts since 2014. So now that everyone is basically playing under the same rules, the prices are coming together as this thread obviously points out. Many Namibian and now Botwana Outfitters are charging huge money and letting clients believe they will get their trophies imported. No reason to believe they ultimately won't, but no more guarantee than RSA or Zimbabwe, or Tanzania for that matter.

As I said before, this is one heck of a deal on a South African elephant hunt. Some people really seem to prefer to hunt in South Africa for whatever reasons they may have. If you fit into that or just like the idea of hunting with Dave, or his area, or whatever.... why not book this? Yes you take a bit of a chance on getting the trophies imported but that is largely why the price is down. Spend some time researching and talk to importers. Talk to SCI and DSC.

Get this hunt done, trophies stored, paperwork processed as far as you ca . Especially on the RSA side... and get the best import agent you can find on this side to submit it. Then at least it will be in line for review and possible (likely?) Approval whenever they start doing them again.

And donate to SCI or DSC with it specified to go the effort on elephant.

Have molds made of your actual tusks and have replicas made to enjoy for now.

And most importantly, enjoy the adventure, the anticipation, the challenge, the preparation, practice, training. And the absolute thrill of facing off against the largest land animal on the planet. And if you are human, the wash of various emotions after the shot and that incredible beast crashes to the earth. Be the first human to lay hands on that ivory and not be killed. Feel its heavy solidness. The density of it, the Mark's in it from decades of survival in that environment. And join an elite group of hunters who can only really understand what I am attempting to describe but failing miserably;)

Last edited:

Actually the regulations do allow for importation of elephant trophies into the US. Again, the issue is that the beurocrats are not doing their jobs. They are simply not processing the applications.

So de facto ban on importations instead of de jure?

Not to mention we have an election in five months and if Biden wins then, most likely, there will be no elephant trophy importations period.

If interested in importation I would not book an elephant hunt until the election results are known.

Minimum Legal caliber size on dangerous game is .375.

So de facto ban on importations instead of de jure?

Not to mention we have an election in five months and if Biden wins then, most likely, there will be no elephant trophy importations period.

If interested in importation I would not book an elephant hunt until the election results are known.
I'm actually gambling that if Trump loses, he orders the current stack of applications to be reviewed and completed. And if in order, approved. I mean at that point, why wouldn't he? His son is on our side.

I think he would be too busy with last minute judicial appointments etc..

I think he would be too busy with last minute judicial appointments etc..
Well truth be told, that probably is more important than me getting my ivory home.....

Afterall I could just move to Canada :rolleyes: But then I'd have to give up many of my guns so shit I don't know.... But the memories of that elephant hunt are mine to keep until alzheimers takes them away:D

Well truth be told, that probably is more important than me getting my ivory home.....

Afterall I could just move to Canada :rolleyes: But then I'd have to give up many of my guns so shit I don't know.... But the memories of that elephant hunt are mine to keep until alzheimers takes them away:D

Sounds like Atherstone where I owned a small piece of the conservancy. We had 26 elephants, then, who beat up the property plenty. Now they've increased to 130, maybe one per 600 acres. I think an 80 animal cull is too light. They probably should be knocked back to 12-15 if the conservancy has any chance of growing new trees and shrubs and supporting its previous numbers and variety of animal species.

I feel like peope are still not really understanding the issue fully. So I'd like to try to explain again. I apologize if I'm off a bit on timing or exact facts.

Yes it is legal to import elephant trophies into the US if they meet the qualifications. The most illegal thing about this whole situation is the agency ignoring the applications and not doing their jobs. And doing so under direction by the president. Via tweet. Who could have imagined back in the days of Reagan that such a travesty could happen?

See K-man's post below for more of the truth.

Elephants are actually importable from many African countries under the current "case by case basis " rules. Including Zimbabwe which has become the place for great deals on elephant hunts since 2014. So now that everyone is basically playing under the same rules, the prices are coming together as this thread obviously points out. Many Namibian and now Botwana Outfitters are charging huge money and letting clients believe they will get their trophies imported. No reason to believe they ultimately won't, but no more guarantee than RSA or Zimbabwe, or Tanzania for that matter.

As I said before, this is one heck of a deal on a South African elephant hunt. Some people really seem to prefer to hunt in South Africa for whatever reasons they may have. If you fit into that or just like the idea of hunting with Dave, or his area, or whatever.... why not book this? Yes you take a bit of a chance on getting the trophies imported but that is largely why the price is down. Spend some time researching and talk to importers. Talk to SCI and DSC.

Get this hunt done, trophies stored, paperwork processed as far as you ca . Especially on the RSA side... and get the best import agent you can find on this side to submit it. Then at least it will be in line for review and possible (likely?) Approval whenever they start doing them again.

And donate to SCI or DSC with it specified to go the effort on elephant.

Have molds made of your actual tusks and have replicas made to enjoy for now.

And most importantly, enjoy the adventure, the anticipation, the challenge, the preparation, practice, training. And the absolute thrill of facing off against the largest land animal on the planet. And if you are human, the wash of various emotions after the shot and that incredible beast crashes to the earth. Be the first human to lay hands on that ivory and not be killed. Feel its heavy solidness. The density of it, the Mark's in it from decades of survival in that environment. And join an elite group of hunters who can only really understand what I am attempting to describe but failing miserably;)
Spot on Bob! Well said!

Sir!! May just say you wrote that perfectly. Im in the group that have yet to take on this giant but I feel what you mean. Its like that time when you take a heli out of the sky using a 50bmg and your guys are like WTF just happened and your thinking the same.
Anyway perfectly put and feels like I'm there with you

Hi Dave
You say that we can shoot any size. Are there any bigger than 30 lbs in the reserve ?
Also, can we hunt other game in the reserve ?
Like to include a Crocodile to the hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg