Zimbabwe options

Muskox

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
Namibia, Australia, Spain, Germany, all over the United States
I understand there are ranches in Zimbabwe, but I don't know much about it. I have multiple safari planning guides but they are over 10 years old and I am not sure places listed in there are still accurate.

Looking for a plains game/buffalo or hippo hunt in a free range or very large ranch. I want something different than South Africa.

You will get plenty of input to this inquiry. Best of luck planning your next trip.

Thank you tanks!

Hi Muskox, what great news. Zim operators are notoriously bad at promoting themselves, super relaxed bunch, but here are a few more to look up:
Makore Safaris (Save and Keriba)
Tokoloshe safaris (near Victoria Falls)
Mbalabala Safaris (Makuti concession etc).

plenty more, but any of the avove three and Charlton will do you proud. And of course John Sharp in the Bubye Conservancy.

I think you are thinking of places like the Save valley conservancy, bubye valley conservancy, nuanetsi conservancy, 360,000 acres to 850,000 acres. You can research them all, lot of outfitters hunting there. I’m sure there are more conservancies. Then there are all the government concession areas and campfire areas. I’m going on my first trip to Zimbabwe this year (10th to Africa). I decided on CMS as well, I wanted a different hunt than I experienced in past and decided a hard tracking hunt for buffalo fit what I was looking for.

I have hunted the Save and the Zambezi valley in Zim. Both were outstanding. We went with CMS in the Zambezi valley. We hunted Dande knowing that there is very little PG there. It is a DG area of note (buff, lion, elephant, leopard) and we were after buffalo. If you wanted to hunt the valley for buff/PG, CMS has another area, Nyakasanga, which has an outstanding reputation.

One option you can enquire with aside from the ones mentioned above is Dalton and York safaris.
@Jumbo hunted with York on a buff hunt and had a great time and a good hunt.

Several of us on here are booked with Dalton for buffalo for next year. My interactions with him have been very positive, I am very much looking forward to the hunt.

Several of us on here are booked with Dalton for buffalo for next year. My interactions with him have been very positive, I am very much looking forward to the hunt.
That’s good news. I’m glad to see a couple of passionate young hunters getting the opportunity to excel. Good luck with the hunts

Curious why the outfitter link I put up disappeared and just got replaced with the name. Is that a new policy?

... I’m going on my first trip to Zimbabwe this year (10th to Africa). I decided on CMS as well, I wanted a different hunt than I experienced in past and decided a hard tracking hunt for buffalo fit what I was looking for.
What dates? I will be there August 1 - 21.

David Langerman and John Sharp in the Bubye. Be hard pressed to top either one of them.

Going this year for multiple buffalo and taking the whole family.

Save was good, Nyakasanga when it was an auction area was great. Cant go wrong with CMS

I understand there are ranches in Zimbabwe, but I don't know much about it. I have multiple safari planning guides but they are over 10 years old and I am not sure places listed in there are still accurate.

Looking for a plains game/buffalo or hippo hunt in a free range or very large ranch. I want something different than South Africa.
Zim is great and you will have a good safari. Just compare all the outfitters you can to make the best decision for you.

All of the Zimbabwe outfitters mentioned above are exceptional. Your final decision will be tempered by your personal preferences in terms of area and of course, price.

There are 3 types of area in Zim;

Fenced (and here I would exclude Bubye Valley Conservancy as it is so large that you could consider it unfenced!). There are very few "ranches" in Zimbabwe as compared to SA and these would normally offer the cheapest prices.

Community (or CAMPFIRE) areas. These are areas are unfenced but could contain some human and domestic animal presence

Safari Areas. These are exclusive true wilderness areas set aside by legislation for hunting only and are preserved free from human habitat. You could expect to pay more for hunts in Safari Areas

Matetsi Unit One is a Safari Area and we offer that exceptional African Wilderness experience and can guarantee you that you will not see another human being on your hunt and you will be immersed in Africa as it always was. We would be happy to quote you on your upcoming hunt!

Enjoy your journey in making the right decisions but feel free to ask. I think this forum is the right place for it!

Best regards

Abe

Why most of the offers and packages in Zim are focused on DG?
There is much less offers specializing on PG.
In fact, in great majority of offers, PG looks more like possible opportunity, rather then specialized PG safari.
I am asking based on my impression, not necessarily it is true.
Am I wrong in this estimate? If I am not wrong, then why is that?

Why most of the offers and packages in Zim are focused on DG?
There is much less offers specializing on PG.
In fact, in great majority of offers, PG looks more like possible opportunity, rather then specialized PG safari.
I am asking based on my impression, not necessarily it is true.
Am I wrong in this estimate? If I am not wrong, then why is that?
Mark
There are more big government concessions where DG is not only what’s available but also what makes the outfitters money. Poaching unfortunately keeps PG numbers down in many of these areas. There are a few private ranches in Zim where PG would be more of a focus. So you are correct that for the most part a Zim safari would be focused on DG with PG more of an add on.
Some may disagree but I’d like to see what others say.
Regards,
Philip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
outlookindia012

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg