ZIMBABWE: Off To Zimbabwe With AH Friends

I am flying their partner American Airlines. So are you saying that I should tell the counter agent that I want to claim my bag and gun in Dallas and then take them to Qatar.?

Yes, you will need to check the gun in at the Qatar counter.

I did not physically have to see the gun or bags. They keep them "In possession" but you still have to go through the check-in process. That's why is much easier if you know which bag claim ticket is your gun.

If you were able to just leave the gun checked and then go to the counter, that's awesome. If you read that website, it doesn't say you physically have to have the gun when checking it in at the Qatar counter so maybe that's the standard operating procedure of how it's supposed to work. I would be a nervous wreck the whole time though hoping that the agent at the connecting airport was all good with it :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
If you were able to just leave the gun checked and then go to the counter, that's awesome. If you read that website, it doesn't say you physically have to have the gun when checking it in at the Qatar counter so maybe that's the standard operating procedure of how it's supposed to work. I would be a nervous wreck the whole time though hoping that the agent at the connecting airport was all good with it :ROFLMAO:
If I am understanding everything problems only come up when changing airlines? On my first hunt all the way with Delta no problems. The second all the way with Qatar no problems. Make sense?

We are flying thank goodness
There is a daily stream of small planes flying out to the safari areas from Harare airport and Charles Prince. It is such a warm feeling to look up and think - on the way to paradise.

View attachment 480237View attachment 480238I have heard so many good reports on YouTube and from our own @Philip Glass about Qsuites on Qatar Airways that I bookEd one for this incredibly long journey.
Four of us will meet up in Dallas and fly Qatar to Doha. Toby will fly out of Atlanta and meet us in Doha. From there it’s on to Lusaka, Zambia. We will only be on the ground less than two hours then on to Harare, Zimbabwe.
Then we have a charter plane taking us to a strip near the camp. 30 hours in the air so I wonder how much I can sleep and how many movies I can watch? Bourbon in copious amounts should induce the necessary sleep.
I cant wait to get back in the QSuite! I admit Ive been spoiled of late. It will be so good to hunt with these great guys.

If I am understanding everything problems only come up when changing airlines? On my first hunt all the way with Delta no problems. The second all the way with Qatar no problems. Make sense?
Ive connected twice AA to Qatar with rifles and will do so again soon. I checked all the way through no problem. You just have to go to either ticket counter or gate agent to show them Qatar rifle paperwork and bag tags. There may be situations where it is better to recheck.
PG

I am flying their partner American Airlines. So are you saying that I should tell the counter agent that I want to claim my bag and gun in Dallas and then take them to Qatar.?
You can do it either way. You will want to see what your AA age t says however and decide. Ive been checking through. Our Travel Agent will likely advise recheck.

Welll.... I tried that. They said NO WAY YOU HAVE TO CHECK THEM ALL THE WAY THROUGH!!! I just shook my head and looked at them like they were the stupidest animals on the planet. The solution is as soon as you land in Dallas go directly through to the exterior ticket counter for Qatar. Tell them you have to clear a firearm and show them the baggage claim ticket. (make sure you know which ticket is for your gun) Then it's back through TSA and to the gate where they will print you a new boarding pass (along with the other hundred people on your flight.) It would be simpler to claim your bags....
Unless you get a different ticket agent that knows what is going on. You can make it work, it's just not simple. American claims to be a partner with Qatar on the OneWorld platform but Qatar just does things their own way.
That is what I thought after my June trip to RSA. But I think ill just check through and go through the Qatar process at DFW. Dont get me started on AA agents! we will be here all day

If you will contact him and let him know I would be happy to bring the shirts back
He knows- we'll see if they produce :)

I'm sure it's going to be a great hunt, have a safe trip and shoot straight!

If you want to shoot anymore before you go, just come on over anytime.
Thank you Simon

Looking forward to this @CAustin ! I just wish I could sleep through the whole airport experience and wake up in Zim!
At least you get to go straight to the Qatar counter and check your gun

Ive connected twice AA to Qatar with rifles and will do so again soon. I checked all the way through no problem. You just have to go to either ticket counter or gate agent to show them Qatar rifle paperwork and bag tags. There may be situations where it is better to recheck.
PG
Will see you in Dallas then and we will see what we have to do

Looking forward to this @CAustin ! I just wish I could sleep through the whole airport experience and wake up in Zim!
Wheels up two weeks from tomorrow. Sprayed hunting gear with the Sawyers bug repellent today.

I don't know what the "rifle permit" requirement/documentation is for Zim, but when flying from DIA to DFW on AA this past June enroute for a RSA hunt, it became a real hassle with the ticket agent and her supervisor (both clueless). They wanted to see the permit from SAPS. I showed them a completed copy of the SAPS application and the email from Rifle Permits stating the actual SAPS permit was pre approved and waiting for me upon my arrival in JNB. They also wanted paperwork from Qatar showing the transfer of the firearms to them. I only had Qatar's "Surrender of Firearms" completed document. After about 45 minutes on the Qatar "help" line, the ticket agent weighed and tagged my gun case, yelled for a Customs agent and walked away from the counter. I looked around and saw no customs agent, so I found an employee with a cart who took me to the customs office for an xray (no physical inspection) of my gun case. The employee then took my case and stated he would make sure it got on the flight. Gotta love it! LOL
Anyway, to all of the members going on your fantastic hunting adventure, have a great time, shoot straight and don't take any wooden Zim coinage!

Last edited:
I don't know what the "rifle permit" requirement/documentation is for Zim, but when flying from DIA to DFW on AA this past June enroute for a RSA hunt, it became a real hassle with the ticket agent and her supervisor (both clueless). They wanted to see the permit from SAPS. I showed them a completed copy of the SAPS application and the email from Rifle Permits stating the actual SAPS permit was pre approved and waiting for me upon my arrival in JNB. They also wanted paperwork from Qatar showing the transfer of the firearms to them. I only had Qatar's "Surrender of Firearms" completed document. After about 45 minutes on the Qatar "help" line, the ticket agent weighed and tagged my gun case, yelled for a Customs agent and walked away from the counter. I looked around and saw no customs agent, so I found an employee with a cart who took me to the customs office for an xray (no physical inspection) of my gun case. The employee then took my case and stated he would make sure it got on the flight. Gotta love it! LOL
Anyway, to all of the members going on your fantastic hunting adventure, have a great time, shoot straight and don't take any wooden Zim coinage!
Thanks Mark! We will try to navigate the idiots at the ticket counters and the buffalo.

Sounds like you guys are in for an awesome adventure, I am really looking forward to reading your hunt reports, as well as the build up banter, good luck to you all and safe travels.

ha ha, for sure! Its part of the journey however.

Ill bail on my hunting partners afterwards and head to Tanzania to hunt Massailand. So there will some reports to come!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warpig602.0

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross