ZIMBABWE: Headed To Dande In Sept With Charlton McCallum Safaris

Y'all got me curious about camps. I emailed and have been told I'll be a Mukanga. My PH is Keith Wall...

Keith is my PH at Mkanga as well for 21 days, starting August 1st. Guess he takes care of that camp.

All of you folks headed to Dande have a nice drive ahead of you. You start north out of Harare on the Golden Stairs Rd, then drop into the Mazowe valley, one of the most fertile places on earth, famous for citrus. The range of hills on your left host many gold mines. Then you branch onto the Guruve Rd and head through the granite kopjies that generate the white loamy soils. This area produced the best tobacco in the world. Then you wind down over the edge of the Zambezi escarpment and as you begin there is a conical hill to your right that looks just like a volcano. Then around one corner further down, there it is, the flat Zambezi valley stretching way into the distance. Come October you don't even see it for the heat haze. Enjoy it all!

Keith is my PH at Mkanga as well for 21 days, starting August 1st. Guess he takes care of that camp.
Save me some game. Have you hunted with Keith before?

All of you folks headed to Dande have a nice drive ahead of you. You start north out of Harare on the Golden Stairs Rd, then drop into the Mazowe valley, one of the most fertile places on earth, famous for citrus. The range of hills on your left host many gold mines. Then you branch onto the Guruve Rd and head through the granite kopjies that generate the white loamy soils. This area produced the best tobacco in the world. Then you wind down over the edge of the Zambezi escarpment and as you begin there is a conical hill to your right that looks just like a volcano. Then around one corner further down, there it is, the flat Zambezi valley stretching way into the distance. Come October you don't even see it for the heat haze. Enjoy it all!
Thanks. I’m scheduled to charter in, but I am regretting that a little now that I read your post. I’m a little restricted on my time, but I’d love to spend some time touring Zim outside the Safari Areas.

Thanks. I’m scheduled to charter in, but I am regretting that a little now that I read your post. I’m a little restricted on my time, but I’d love to spend some time touring Zim outside the Safari Areas.
Same here. Chartering in.

I just got an email from CMS, 4 hunters are staying at the Amanzi lodge on July 30th and 2 returning that night as well. So, there will be 6 CMS clients there that night.

I was originally going to drive in as I wanted to see the countryside again, but due to movement restrictions will be chartering in.

I just got an email from CMS, 4 hunters are staying at the Amanzi lodge on July 30th and 2 returning that night as well. So, there will be 6 CMS clients there that night.

I was originally going to drive in as I wanted to see the countryside again, but due to movement restrictions will be chartering in.
What a great opportunity to share and hear stories!

Was this their advice to charter in? I was thinking I wanted to drive for cost, but I’m thinking charter might be much better option now (and extra hunting day)

Was this their advice to charter in? I was thinking I wanted to drive for cost, but I’m thinking charter might be much better option now (and extra hunting day)
Yes, it was their advice. Changed packing a bit. I will have all my gear in a military duffel bag and the duffel along with the ammo case (separate in case TSA wants a look) in the suitcase. At the hotel will put the ammo case in the duffel and leave the hard case at the hotel as duffels fit much better in these small planes. Once back at the hotel will dump the duffel in the hard case along with the ammo case for the flight home.

As an Ag guy I actually found it depressing to see the ruins of what was once a great agribusiness community.

As an Ag guy I actually found it depressing to see the ruins of what was once a great agribusiness community.
It is quietly being reborn WAB, probably not to the same level, but it's coming. The dispersed farmers also spurned a whole new agricultural revolution in Zambia that will probably lead to self sufficiency, you can't keep good farmers down!

So I just received word I will be at Matombo for my 9 days, 2 fishing, 7 hunting, Aug 9th-august18th.

Advised to change my travel in to charter. Still requesting drive out as I have a full day dedicated to travelling to Harare on the way out. Drive out aug 19th, charter in aug 9th.

Edit: wheels up in 16.

So I just received word I will be at Matombo for my 9 days, 2 fishing, 7 hunting, Aug 9th-august18th.

Advised to change my travel in to charter. Still requesting drive out as I have a full day dedicated to travelling to Harare on the way out. Drive out aug 19th, charter in aug 9th.

Edit: wheels up in 16.
Have a great hunt VonJager! You’ll be back home when I leave on the 25th. Please do post a report. I can’t wait to hear how your trip went.

Looks like the COVID situation in Zim is getting better.

1627056499637.png

I am going to be taking HCQ, zinc, vitamin C, and vitamin D for COVID prophylaxis. Are you doing anything similar?

I had the two doses of Pfizer, I am not worried. Even if in the off chance I get it, it should be no worse than the flu.

I am going to be taking HCQ, zinc, vitamin C, and vitamin D for COVID prophylaxis. Are you doing anything similar?
I got vaccinated as well. I always take vitamin D supplements even before covid.

Hello VonJager. I‘m not planning to. I’ve received 2 doses of the Pfizer vaccine, which has been effective in preventing infection. In the rare breakthrough cases it seems that the symptoms are much less severe with much less need for hospitalization.

Down to 27 days! New COVID cases are declining in Zim. The country just approved the J&J vaccine. And today we received all of our Zimbabwe paperwork from Gracey Travel. This is starting to get serious! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you