Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia
So I've been playing with some new loadings for my .375 h&h. The platform is a CZ 550 safari magnum. I like the beefy feel of it and the big, reliable Brno Mauser 98 action. Probably 2 years away from a buffalo hunt so I have time. Wanting some opinions on how tight I should have my solids grouping with my expanding bullets.

The solid I am using currently is the Woodleigh hydro solid loaded by Federal going 2500 fps. I like the concept behind it and my gun likes it too. The soft is the Barnes vor-tx with the triple shock, slightly faster at 2540 fps. Both are 300 gr. and group well. The 2 bullet groups are about 2 inches apart vertically with the solid being the lower. Windage is identical. I have been having trouble finding a solid and a soft that will group closely for me and my question is this: Am I grouping tight enough between the 2 different rounds to be safe to hunt? Would anyone with some experience like to weigh in here?

I suppose given the performance of the hydro solid I could just use those for everything.

i presume thats at 100yds? 2 inches apart wouldnt bother me at all . my group would probably be bigger than that anyway :D
Ah, yes, forgot that bit. that is at 100 yds everyone.

Maybe try using projectiles that have a similar ballistic coefficient to start with. I used Woodleigh 300gn solids and 300 gn protector points softs. If there was a difference in point of impact then I could not tell from my test firings.

I'd check how close they are at 25 and 50 yds. Could put the solid dead on at 100 yds, know the Barnes is 2 in high and consult ballistic charts to know the drop. I did similar for sorts and solids on my last trip for both 375 and 404.

I liked having basically a dead on sight for my solids for backing shots.

i presume thats at 100yds? 2 inches apart wouldnt bother me at all . my group would probably be bigger than that anyway :D

I am +1 with spike.t on this one, even though he likes to drink orange flavored vodka.

2" apart would bother me, but im also too picky about stuff like that. have you tried North Forks cup point solid? i know these have a very good reputation with buffalo.

also, have you considered not using a solid at all? my PH tells me if you use bullets like Barnes TSX there is no need to use a solid for buffalo. the Barnes TSX is pretty well known to be a deep penetrator.

-matt

I am +1 with spike.t on this one, even though he likes to drink orange flavored vodka.
Orange flavored vodka?!?!?! Dude, come on!

no, velo is serious, and he mixes this grey goose orange vodka with coke , he told me once.......

I am with everyone else - a two to three - inch composite group is minute of buffalo out to 200 meters. That said, I use TSX 300's and no longer back-up with solids. In fact if I do bring solids, they are for poking neat, round holes in the little stuff like dyker or oribi.

I suppose given the performance of the hydro solid I could just use those for everything.
I don't know anything about the hydro solid, but the 300 gr TSXs worked fine for me for everything from bushbuck to buffalo.

Same here! Used 300 grain Barnes TSX on everything, Buffalo, Kudu, Blue Wildebeest, Waterbuck, Zebra and Impala. PH suggested just bring the TSX for everything.

Plan on using 235 grain Barnes TSX loaded by Double Tap on 2015 safari for plains game and lion.

o_O and the problem is ???????

Spike.t,

Speaking for myself, I was just rattling your cage.
Upon your recommendation, I tried a wee drop of that Grey Goose orange.
And although it's not something I could thrive on, it is admittedly pretty good.
I didn't dare try it in Coca Cola, because I'm already so sweet that I have to fight off honey bees and wealthy/beautiful women wherever I go.
Rather, I had it on the rocks for sipping, as an after diner thing, blah, blah, blah.

Your favorite geezer,
Venerial Dog.

I am with spike as well , test them at 50 yards , i certainly don't want to hunt a buff at 100 yards away .

they will most likely be closer at 50 yards

Say it ain't so Spike! Then again a man has to get his vitamins somewhere ... On a somewhat more serious note, why don't you try the new Woodleigh 350g HD soft points to see if they group with your Woodleigh solid. They always open up, and penetrate like crazy from what I've been told

Orange Vodka - though hat tip to him for the Grey Goose - Scurvy is a dreadful disease and indeed since they started in Reykjavik putting a slice of Orange in the Einstock White Ale - the survival rate for Hipsters seems to be improving !

The Hydros are designed to give a much more soft point like performance than traditional solids.

Using just them would do very well for both tasks.

In any case, the difference isn't enough to worry about for your intended game.

Orange Vodka - though hat tip to him for the Grey Goose - Scurvy is a dreadful disease and indeed since they started in Reykjavik putting a slice of Orange in the Einstock White Ale - the survival rate for Hipsters seems to be improving !

exactly why i drink the orange vodka as that scurvy wouldnt be pleasant........;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg