huntinlabs

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
My wife and I just came back from our first hunt in Africa. We decided to get the zebra turned into a felted rug. She wants the head to be taxidermied like the picture attached. I am having mixed feelings about it. It has been capped to have it done like that but wouldnt take much effort to finish the cut so it could be a normal flatskin style rug. But k dont like how the lips are split with normal flatskin. So my question is have any of you seen a zebra rug done like a cat or bear like she is wanting? What's your opinions on it?

Screenshot_20180506-050020_Google.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Have seen it a lot. Draw back is if it's on the floor its a toe stubber. But no different than a bear rug. The ears are long and have a tendency to get broken from kids pets etc. Kids grab them and pull on them alot. They are more money to be done in this way also.
But it comes down to personal choice if you like the look or not. Some do and some don't. I will leave you with this one thought though--- happy wife happy life ! :)

Interesting! I think I like it more than the face flattened. I had mine done without the face because I didn't like that look. But, your wife's solution brings out that beautiful head. I think it's cool.

Have seen it a lot. Draw back is if it's on the floor its a toe stubber. But no different than a bear rug. The ears are long and have a tendency to get broken from kids pets etc. Kids grab them and pull on them alot. They are more money to be done in this way also.
But it comes down to personal choice if you like the look or not. Some do and some don't. I will leave you with this one thought though--- happy wife happy life ! :)

It's only 10 percent more to include the head in it. But the ears are what scare me. I am afraid they will be brittle and snap pretty easily.

That mounts on the wall would be a nice flat skin. On the floor with the head and ears that high up will be in pieces in a few years with kids and dogs.

I would personally do the "normal" flat skin rug. I agree with other that the ears could certainly be damaged over the years

Mine hangs over a railing on the stair way. Nothing ever touches the ears. But I keep thinking I want to have Dennis mount a shoulder mount of a zebra... and here is a second to happy wife happy life!!

I didn’t know what this would look like until now. Not bad at all. I like it more than I did trying to think what it would look like. Longevity will depend on where you put it. I have a bear rug that has teeth chipped off. The ears are ok but they don’t stick up like a zebra. Also it has not been in an area with any traffic. I have myself kicked it and caused the damage.

Used to do lots of the half head zebra in rugs in the 70's and 80's. Most went to flat with a nice rounded shape to the face, Pic Below is what my rug head shape is. Most African companies still to the old style flat with the bottom lips winged out. Pic below HATE IT ! Haven't done a 1/2 head rug in 20 years, just not looked at by clients as feasible on the floor. Insurance man's trip nightmare for anyone in your home. That head is heavy and won't move when your toe and foot gets in a fight with it. Have dropped my Zebra rug business in about 1/2 used to do 30-50 a year now it's 1/2 get rugged , 1/2 get My Zebra Damaske. Three Damaske's in shop in process on wall and 4 zebra rugs in process. PS don't get your zebra rug Felted it's a nightmare to clean it picked up every microscopic piece of lint, dirt and hair, Get it leather backed in brown or black as we do ....it stays VERY CLEAN.
th%202_zpsqcxjtixr.jpg

Look at the frayed felt crappy edges and dirt and crap on this felted one.....The egads just get worse every year in felt and most are just hot glued on not sewn if they come from africa.
9440_1345946521_3_zpscidm233k.jpg

28617164_1807009862707719_7409022078929473397_o_zpsndlfbdem.jpg

Attachments

• th 2_zpsqcxjtixr.jpg
    th 2_zpsqcxjtixr.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 589
  • 9440_1345946521_3_zpscidm233k.jpg
    9440_1345946521_3_zpscidm233k.jpg
    604.3 KB · Views: 658
  • 28617164_1807009862707719_7409022078929473397_o_zpsndlfbdem.jpg
    28617164_1807009862707719_7409022078929473397_o_zpsndlfbdem.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 453
Went for flat skin rug myself.

Seeing both I agree the rounded looks much better. I just checked my bear rug and agree it would look better with leather vs. the felt. Picks up all kinds of fuzz/particles. Good advice based on your experience. I like the demaske style and may do one on a mountain Zebra I plan on taking this July.

Lee, here is a big mountain zebra. If I get your damaske it will look this good, Everyone else who tries to make them just lays the hide flat or uses some cookie cutter from they made off the ides with 3 or 4 rolls. Get a pice of artwork !
DSCN6938%201_zpswcn1s68x.jpg

DSCN6937%203_zpsxi6xmcdh.jpg

DSCN6933%205_zpsdwgamzpe.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN6938 1_zpswcn1s68x.jpg
    DSCN6938 1_zpswcn1s68x.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 437
  • DSCN6937 3_zpsxi6xmcdh.jpg
    DSCN6937 3_zpsxi6xmcdh.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 742
  • DSCN6933 5_zpsdwgamzpe.jpg
    DSCN6933 5_zpsdwgamzpe.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 480
Look like you need a lot of wall space for that. I do like it though.

approx 4' by 5' and can be made larger version 5' by 6' if its a BIG stallion and cut for this is just like a rug. We can also do it with a cape and back skin if you have to cut already .

My next zebra rug, hopefully a mountain zebra, there will be no head. To me it just takes up too much additional space.
I have a felted back and black leather trim around it which I very much like. I plan to have my blue Wildebeest done the same only without the head.
As stated by others, my black bear head is always in the way, tripping everyone. I may point the head toward the fireplace just to get it out of the way.
Best of luck in your decision!

Really glad to see the rounded shape of Dennis’s rug. I never liked the regular shape of the zebra rugs head. I really like the look of Dennis’s rug.
Another helpful thread. Thanks for starting the thread @huntinlabs .

Dennis do you have any pictures of one without the head?

Really glad to see the rounded shape of Dennis’s rug. I never liked the regular shape of the zebra rugs head. I really like the look of Dennis’s rug.
Another helpful thread. Thanks for starting the thread @huntinlabs .

I like it to. Now I have to start convincing the wife how much safer it will be for the zebra and our feet if we do it that way vs leaving the head on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg