AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Nimrod Rifle Club, DSC, SCI, NRA
Hunted
Texas, Wyoming, Kansas, Alaska, Namibia, Botswana, Northern Cape, Alberta, Natal, Zambia
Zebra, let's see yours

After my hunt and realizing how difficult hunting zebra with a bow can be, I've become a big fan of the zebra. So much so that I've been looking into the various species/subspecies found in Africa. While some are very easy to tell apart, there are others that seem too close to call to the untrained eye.
Five years ago, I would have told you a 'zebra is a zebra, is a zebra' and fully believed there was only one kind. Boy, how wrong this Texas boy was.
Zebra are a lot like the whitetail, bear, or sheep in that a hunter could go for the 'grand slam of zebra' just like the 'tiny ten' of the antelope. With the exception of one or two that are protected, the rest can be hunted.
So in my boredom of 'shelter in place' I was hoping I could get you men/ladies to post pictures of your zebras. Doesn't matter the species, the angle of the animal, front, back, side, alive, dead, mounted, skin, etc. I'm just curious what the members can contribute from their collection and add to this post.
I'll start with one of my zebra, I won't identify it, just post it, and leave it there for discussion as to subspecies of Plains zebra.

dee's3.jpg
dee's8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my stallion zebra and my PH John.

DSC02519.JPG

Just curious, for those that took a picture of the back/rump area, could you post those as well. It's kinda like the 'fingerprint' of the subspecies of plains zebra.
And thanks for the first two pictures, awesome...
I know the zebra doesn't get the recognition of the other species such as Kudu, Sable, Eland, etc. but it is a unique animal and I believe it has it's own set of devoted followers like me.

here is mine on the wall.

LIVING ROOM.jpg

View attachment 341285
Check out this hide: no shadow stripes and few scars...
So what species/subspecies would you call it? And where was it taken? I guess I should add those two questions to the thread. List the species/subspecies and area taken.

A Burchells taken in Rungwa, Tanzania last year. One shot to the boiler-maker, and he went down in just a few paces (though I did find that hunting them was more of a challenge than I was expecting, fun too!). I'm getting a rug made of the hide, but it's already been at the tannery a few months; likely to be a few months more with the current economic situation. My PH told me this was a trophy hide, my taxidermist wasn't convinced, but he hadn't looked at the actual time when he expressed that opinion. For me, it's a true trophy either way and I'm grateful!

A Burchells taken in Rungwa, Tanzania last year. One shot to the boiler-maker, and he went down in just a few paces (though I did find that hunting them was more of a challenge than I was expecting, fun too!). I'm getting a rug made of the hide, but it's already been at the tannery a few months; likely to be a few months more with the current economic situation. My PH told me this was a trophy hide, my taxidermist wasn't convinced, but he hadn't looked at the actual time when he expressed that opinion. For me, it's a true trophy either way and I'm grateful!

This is one that depends on who's looking at it. I'd say, based on the stripping and the location, that is a Crawshay's Zebra, a subspecies of the Plains Zebra. The way a biologist would determine for sure in the field is by looking at the teeth. But I'm going with Crawshay's, either way, it's a beautiful animal and one to be proud of. Thanks for posting it.

Crawshay's zebra. one of the most beautifully stripped of them all. The side stripes are the obvious thing we all look at, but the whole body is a descriptor. The back and rump markings, the tail, the belly markings, the leg markings, all define the subspecies. Some are easy to identify, others could stir a debate for hours.

Crawshays2.jpg
crawshays9.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Crawshay's zebra. one of the most beautifully stripped of them all. The side stripes are the obvious thing we all look at, but the whole body is a descriptor. The back and rump markings, the tail, the belly markings, the leg markings, all define the subspecies. Some are easy to identify, others could stir a debate for hours.

Crawshay's zebra...sure looks like it! Very interesting and thanks for the clarification!

Same zebra, a different angle. I think you are right on...a Crawshay's zebra.
ZebraBackside.JPG

Beautiful zebra, and man those stripes are really dark. Congrats!!!!!

And those two are classic Hartmann's Mt Zebra, one of the two subspecies of Mt Zebra. The other is the Cape Mt Zebra. Found in lesser numbers and mostly in the cape area of South Africa. You can't see the dewlap on the throat in those pictures, but you can see that the stripes do not go all the way to the belly. Also, the brown on the face, the stripping all the way down the legs, and the pattern on the top of the rump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg