Zebra Coloration Question

Sabre

AH elite
Joined
Aug 7, 2024
Messages
1,280
Reaction score
2,471
The vast majority of zebra on the hoof and in trophy pictures appear stark black and white. Some have yellowing to the black stripes but not nearly as many as are dark black and white. However, many zebra mounts I have seen have a lot of yellowing to the black stripes, especially the face.

I am curious if something happens during the tanning process that causes the stripes to yellow on some mounts. Or did these Zebra have yellowish/faded stripes when they were shot. I have searched on the internet and can't find anything about it really.

Interested in hearing anyone's opinions on it, but especially interested in hearing from people that have had zebra taxidermy and have or haven't seen any change in colors to their animal.

Thanks in advance.
 
zebra-taxidermy-head-mounted1.jpeg
 
The photo above shows what I'm talking about on the top half of the face.
 
The short answer is they are different types of zebras.

There are several different subspecies of zebras. I believe that is a Mountain Zebra which tend to have the golden color on the muzzle and very distinct black and white stripes. The other common zebra is the Burchell Zebra that is known for having the ghost stipes in the wider white stripe. The stripes don't seem to change with tanning in my experience.
 
Could it be permanent stain from grazing around all that red sand?
My idea of a trophy zebra is one so black, the white stripes look like scattered bones on a black blanket.
 
Could it be permanent stain from grazing around all that red sand?
My idea of a trophy zebra is one so black, the white stripes look like scattered bones on a black blanket.
No.

This is a large stallion Hartmann's Zebra. They are indigenous to the mountains of Namibia and usually represent a challenging hunt in tough terrain. Note the brown muzzle.

Mountain Zebra.jpeg


This is a Burchell or plains zebra. They will typically have a black muzzle. They, unlike the Hartmann, are quite common across South Africa.
burchel zebra.jpeg
 
The short answer is they are different types of zebras.

There are several different subspecies of zebras. I believe that is a Mountain Zebra which tend to have the golden color on the muzzle and very distinct black and white stripes. The other common zebra is the Burchell Zebra that is known for having the ghost stipes in the wider white stripe. The stripes don't seem to change with tanning in my experience.
Beautiful mount.

That’s a Hartmann’s, or Mountain Zebra. That’s exactly what they look like.
No.

This is a large stallion Hartmann's Zebra. They are indigenous to the mountains of Namibia and usually represent a challenging hunt in tough terrain. Note the brown muzzle.

View attachment 626753

This is a Burchell or plains zebra. They will typically have a black muzzle. They, unlike the Hartmann, are quite common across South Africa.
View attachment 626760


Thank you for the responses and information. I believe I have only seen Burchell while hunting and this makes sense why the vast majority I have seen had the dark black and white faces.
 
Thank you for the responses and information. I believe I have only seen Burchell while hunting and this makes sense why the vast majority I have seen had the dark black and white faces.
Like most African animals there will always be different variations even within the subspecies, an easy example is in giraffes. There are very light colored to very dark colored and each hunter with have thier preferences. Before hunting a species learn the different traits and what is important or preferred by you. Before the hunt discuss it with your PH so they help find the trophy you have dreamed of.
 
The answers regarding the different species are valid, but ... there can also be color differences which occur after the time of harvest. In older trophies, excessive exposure to UV light probably plays a role. But I suppose it's also quite possible that it could be due to the dip & pack or tanning processes. I've certainly seen some mounts where all of the stripes have faded to brown.
 
On the plains zebra , the farther north you go the less shadow stripes you see until you see just black and white.
 
Another difference not seen with photos is the Hartmann zebra has white fat and the burchell zebra has yellow fat even where their range overlap.
 
Another difference not seen with photos is the Hartmann zebra has white fat and the burchell zebra has yellow fat even where their range overlap.
That’s interesting, do they taste different? One animal I haven’t eaten in Africa is zebra though I’ve heard it is fantastic!
 
That’s interesting, do they taste different? One animal I haven’t eaten in Africa is zebra though I’ve heard it is fantastic!
I’ve never eaten either. Hartmann zebra is supposed to be good. I can’t say I have an interest in trying burchell zebra if I have other meat in camp.
 
That’s interesting, do they taste different? One animal I haven’t eaten in Africa is zebra though I’ve heard it is fantastic!

Hartmann's Zebra is very good on the grill.

It is my understanding that Burchell's zebra meat is not so great; perhaps because of the yellow fat? I dunno... my PHs over the years don't serve it up.

Ed Z
 
Hartmann's Zebra is very good on the grill.

It is my understanding that Burchell's zebra meat is not so great; perhaps because of the yellow fat? I dunno... my PHs over the years don't serve it up.

Ed Z
The only zebra I’ve seen shot was a Selous zebra in Mozambique, we used it to bait a leopard. I don’t recall anyone saying they wanted to eat it nor do I remember what the meat looked like. Unfortunately I wasn’t the hunter and the leopard paid for it with his life. He was huge, they said they really like the fat of zebra.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,292
Messages
1,571,927
Members
169,468
Latest member
maustonralam1988
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top