Zastava? Any good?

@Shootist43
The reason for the low price they are selling bolt actions is, in their factory they employ the cheapest man power labor in gun making industry. (possibly in the World, but certainly on European continent).

Maybe a DIY bedding job. I did my CZ 550 myself (They come with a crappy little piece of plastic behind the action recoil lug). I used a hardware 'plastic steel epoxy'. Plenty of tutorials on the internet. Just be sure to use a good release agent and it is not too difficult.

Maybe a DIY bedding job. I did my CZ 550 myself (They come with a crappy little piece of plastic behind the action recoil lug). I used a hardware 'plastic steel epoxy'. Plenty of tutorials on the internet. Just be sure to use a good release agent and it is not too difficult.

Thank you I will look into that , I've got a lot of experience with fibreglass so it's possible if needed.

Are you Zastava supporters saying that you can hold one side by side to a Rigby (or any other expensive rifle) and that no one could differentiate the quality? Come on now?? Remember that I didn't say they were not a good rifle, just a little rough around the edges.

Are you Zastava supporters saying that you can hold one side by side to a Rigby (or any other expensive rifle) and that no one could differentiate the quality? Come on now?? Remember that I didn't say they were not a good rifle, just a little rough around the edges.
I personally don’t own or have even shot a Zastava or Interarms Mark X. I do own two Interarms Whitworths, which apparently are a “refined” version of the former two and are initially manufactured in the same factory with the Whitworths refined in England. I will say my Whitworth’s actions are smooth as butter, but may have been “smoothed” by the previous owners gunsmiths. My two CZ 550 actions are a little rougher than the Whitworths but still very “hunt worthy”. I’ve never even seen an actual Rigby or any of the other fine branded rifles mentioned here on AH. But I’m sure their quality FAR surpasses either the Zastavas, Whitworths, CZs, Winchester’s, etc., etc. But, if someone wants to hunt and can’t afford a premium rifle, he/she has to hunt with something? So why not the lesser quality rifle which will still get the job done? Just my two centavos!

As I said in my previous post, the Zastava's are a decent rifle for the money. The action is a little rough when new, but so is a CZ550 and the stock needs some sort of oil or varnish finishing but that's about all it takes to make a perfectly functional firearm. My only complaint was the light, -8# weight of the gun, but that would not be a factor in a 30 cal model.

As I said in my previous post, the Zastava's are a decent rifle for the money. The action is a little rough when new, but so is a CZ550 and the stock needs some sort of oil or varnish finishing but that's about all it takes to make a perfectly functional firearm. My only complaint was the light, -8# weight of the gun, but that would not be a factor in a 30 cal model.
Ok. Rub some type of oil into the stock. Work the action a thousand times. Put a Limbsaver slip on recoil pad over the factory pad. My Whitworths are 8.5lbs unscoped. Then, shoot the hell out of it until the stock cracks. Then get a new stock? Problems solved! Ha! Ha!

I went another route. Sold the Zastava and got CZ in 416Rigby. Problems solved. Hee-hee
(not trying to be a smart guy)
Great choice! I love my two CZs. One WM and one Lott. Great rifles for the price! Let me know how the Rigby’s recoil is? Thanks!

Last edited:
Were you able to get the stock to take oil when you refinished it? Would you worry about stock cracking of splitting?
Skinnersblade
Sand the stock back mate and apply some Linspeed oil( yes right spelling check the internet) mate. When you've done that finish with Gilleys gun polish wax. It will be water and dust proof as well as looking good and easy to repair minor dings and scratches.
Cheers mate Bob

Sestoppleman, there is a reason why Zastava(s) sell at the price point they do. Besides that we all know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Shootist43
Is that the beholder or beerholder.
Some of the timber is beautiful on the zastava but needs to be cleaned up to look good.
Cheers mate Bob

Solid Mauser action. Really good action for rifle projects.

Skinnersblade
Sand the stock back mate and apply some Linspeed oil( yes right spelling check the internet) mate. When you've done that finish with Gilleys gun polish wax. It will be water and dust proof as well as looking good and easy to repair minor dings and scratches.
Cheers mate Bob

Thanks for the product endorsements. I found Lin-speed oil on Amazon but I don't see availability of the Gilley's product in the USA.

Does anyone have experience with this product, Renaissance? Being petroleum based has its own allure for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Renaissance-Micro-Crystalline-Wax-Polish-65/dp/B001DSZWEM

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 2.05.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 2.05.38 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 72
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 2.05.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 2.05.42 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 76

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaeMorris

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross