Zastava? Any good?

Discussion in '.375 & Up' started by Skinnersblade, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Bob Nelson 35Whelen

Bob Nelson 35Whelen AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia, Africa
    Mr Zorg
    Linspeed is a bit more expensive than tru oil but it all depends on the finish you want. A warm old world oil finish or a glossy finish. The choice is yours and I'm sure you will get a good result no matter what way you go. If you use tru oil you won't be able to use Linspeed later on as tru oil requires the use of a filler before applying it.
    When you get a tru oil stock finishing kit that you need to do the job properly it works out to be the same price or dearer than Linspeed..
    Cheers mate Bob

2. Rob404

Rob404 AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Member Minnesota Horse and Hunt,,Caribou Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Illinois,Wisconsin,Michigan Limpopo Province South Africa
    I've used Tru Oil when re finishing my stocks . A little shiny to start but some super fine steel wool after letting it dry gives me the soft gloss I like

Last edited: May 23, 2020

3. Mr. Zorg

Mr. Zorg AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    I have more than one such stock to futz with. I'm going to use the Tru Oil and Renaissance Wax first. If I'm less than happy with that I'll try Lin-speed oil plus the extra boiled linseed oil the Lin-speed oil instructions require to lubricate the steel wool.

TBH I like the stock finish on my Interarms Mark X and Whitworth rifles. It's slightly glossy but appears and feels totally sealed, some sort of polymer is my guess, which I'm thinking the Renaissance Wax should also produce.

Bob Nelson 35Whelen likes this.

4. Mr. Zorg

Mr. Zorg AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    The rifles without iron sights are designated American Style by Zastava, their catalog shows that option is available in all the same cartridge chamberings as their Standard LK M70.

My Interarms Mark X and Whitworth rifles have a larger, taller, adjustable rear sight ramp with a blade adjustable for windage. My Zastava badged rifles have a less pronounced rear sight ramp with a blade that folds along its center in addition to being adjustable for windage.

https://zastavaarmsusa.com/product/sporting-rifle-lk-m70/

@ZANA BOTES SAFARI, that was the same age my Father bought a milsurp 6.5X52mm Carcano carbine with 18" barrel and fixed iron sights for me to use alongside him with his milsurp SMLE, where he'd removed the top wood to reduce some weight. All we could find back then was milsurp RN FMJ 6.5X52mm ammunition so I specialized in CNS shots like you indicated with your kudu. My father used .303 British Remington Core-lokt. Like you mine was just enough rifle to keep me out of trouble and the metal buttplate didn't bother my beginning teenager spindly frame. A few years later I asked my dad if I could try shooting his .303. That was and to this day still is the only time I ever shot that rifle.:) My gut has more padding now, my shoulder - not so much.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    Bob Nelson 35Whelen likes this.

5. Bob Nelson 35Whelen

Bob Nelson 35Whelen AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia, Africa
    Mr Zorg
    Enjoy futzing around with your stocks.i find it very cathartic playing with timber 20200201_135424.jpg

My lowall finished with Linspeed and Gilleys gun polish wax.
    Cheers mate Bob

Rob404 likes this.