ZAMBIA: Takeri Private Reserve First Hunt Of The Season Sable & Reedbuck Just Taken

That is an absolute monster Mike!

Congrats!

Kinda answers the "why Zambia" question doesn't it? :)

Mike - someone got a once-in-a-lifetime sable! Congratulations!

There's something about taking such a magnificent animal in the "wild", where the only breeder was the Man upstairs. No offence to others, but farm-raised sable doesn't compare.

Zambia and North-Western Zimbabwe (Matetsi) are about the only places you can find these wonderful animals with anything approaching this size - though people should know that 48" is more than a snorter!

Beauties, one and all !

Ow that second Sable is one to brag about!

Great animals but that 2nd sable is incredible!

Damn Mike. Where did you have that giant hidden when I was there? That is an incredible sable. Congrats
Bruce

Magnificant Sable. Could we have a story please to go with the picture?

not only great animals, the elderly Frenchman and lovely wife where absolutely wonderfull people . and I feel truly lucky to have shared thier Zambian adventure …
even if I was the camp bitch ……(y)(y)(y)
don't mind telling ya ……
cant wait until next year , for the second part of this hunt …..
watch this space fellas

Damn Mike. Where did you have that giant hidden when I was there? That is an incredible sable. Congrats
Bruce
He was there brucey while you were walking around up here mate.....like all the other animals on takeri.
born here just like his mum and dad ,and thier mum and dad before him.
the Fench gentleman who I will call JFwas here for 10 days along with his lovely wife and the agent they always hunt through .
they also took a cracker Kafue lechwe and a bueatiful puku …
once I get permission from them I would love to write of this adventure and post some of the amazing pictures taken …
should be hearing from them soon
hope you've been well bruce...

Both knees replaced last summer Bluey. Getting around pretty good. Downsized the house and are in the process of moving about 6 miles.... Drew a WY moose permit for this fall so that will be interesting.
Hope your client allows you to share the stories and pics of their adventure. Great trophies it sounds like. Hardly believe its been 20 months since I was there. Time flies......
Bruce

young JF and his lovely wife MJ spent 10 amazing days at takeri with patsy and myself ,along with Vincent the bloke that has been the maker of the their dreams in allthings hunting for over 30 years.....
they were looking for unique hunting adventure ,somewhere remote and pristine …..
and on a fishing trip for marlin and sailfish in Kenya, happened to meet a great mate of patsys
one beer lead to another and takeri was mentioned ….
16 months later they were on the way to Lusaka ,Zambia.....from Normandy france
then they chartered a flight to Zambeef ,Mpongwe
by yet another great mate of patsys , who owns Sky trails charters
which saves a 6 or seven hours , shit drive between Lusaka and Mpongwe,
dodging trucks, idiots and traffic cops,
from there to takeri it was a 2.5 hour drive to the gates of takeri .
a bit of a run down on these two youngsters...
hardly a word of English ,from this side, bonjour was both patsys and my own French (thank god Vincent is fluent in French and a heap of other languages...5 im sure he said.)
and he was impressive to watch chatting easily to us ,and translating to JF &MJ and vice versa ,with out missing a beat...
JF, has not long been diagnosed with parkinsons disease..and you can see he get pissed right off with the fact that its puuling him up in so many ways...
MJ is plenty good at photography, and ive asked for her to send me a stack of photos she has taken , and some of the videos she contructed while here aswell…
if she decides to share them with me , and says its all good. I will throw them up for one and all to enjoy
they are both mad keen anglers ,and we enjoyed a day out on the Kafue river fishing and watching a couple of good crocs ,watching us as they warmed the solar panels on the bank, and three hippos doing what hippos do during the day
these kids are also only 78 years young
but man they are happy ,happy with each others company , and not once stopped stirring each other up , much to our amusement, and thanks to vincents, deciphering ….
mind you Vincent was as much ,up for stirring as me and patsy are aswell.
so we had a stack of laughs each and every day and evening
the hunting is hard here , as the rains hung in there late this year again , and patsys meticulious burning program , is still now... in the middle of july ,only about 30% done .
with lots of areas still holding water and others way too green to burn ….
looking for animals is very hit and miss,and we worked bloody hard to spot anything some days in the long grass....even now we are on day 3 of the second hunt and working all day ,to get it done ……
on the third day, JF took a bueatifull puku...after some serious cat and mouse ,on the peninsular,ending in a one shot kill,after hours of stopping and starting
while MJ and did our level best effort to try and get photos , patsy and Vincent did the hard yards to get the young fella in position

photos will have to wait as , this bloody VSAT, is slower than spike with a hangover....
I will con peteG into letting me use his wifi , next week when im back in Ndola...if he isn't still up the lake working

day five JF took a cracker Kafue lechwe,again in the long grass and water at the bottom of takeri .after a marathon game of here I am and ,oh shit ,there I go looking for the right one in a herd of 45 or more lechwe,at anywhere from 70 metres to 200 plus and six foot grass

Tough without technology....
We will be here waiting for the pictures.

48.5” sable!!! Amazing!

Great sable! It must be the combination of PH and, to quote the man himself, the "camp bitch" :whistle:

Nice to hear from you Bluey :D Cheers:

Seems like you had a great time with these youngsters !

Looking forward for those pics

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg