Your avatar and user name

My user name comes from the first "big" caliber gun I bought for an Alaskan brown bear hunt, and also to poke a little fun at the H&H die hards. I own a bunch of Rugers and generally like them a lot.

Avatar is a photo my wife took in Tanz. I love how the manes of the two lions merge.

My avatar was given to me on April fools day, quite a few years ago. Brickburn would be the fine gentleman that gave it too me. My handle is based off of the 35whelen.

That was funny logging in and having weird looking cats as our new avatars. Initially I though ah had been hacked.

I just changed mine to a different cat. ;)

I took the name from my brother, an avid groundhog hunter. During the summer month evenings, he tells me he's "on patrol" for them, hence the name hogpatrol (I do quite a bit of it myself ;)). Chased the zebra for a couple hours until he finally ran out of gas and IIRC gave me a shot at 265 yards, 6.5-284, 130 gr. Berger HVLD :eek:, DRT :D.

My avatar is what’s left of a 208-grain 8x56R bullet and its copper jacket after going through two feral hogs, killing both. It was a photo I had handy, and since I was shy then about showing my face on the internets, it worked.

The user name comes from my Jeep Patriot, which carries Jeep’s official Trail Rated designation.

My avatar is my Utah mountain lion, user name is simply my first name and last initial

Mine’s easy. I’m a blues music lover and many years ago I worked in a blues club in NYC. My old biker buddies would call me johnnyblues , and still do.

Since I posted on this thread 2 1/2 years ago I changed my avatar to the Kudu I shot with @KMG Hunting Safaris. It had always been my dream animal and I failed to get on on my Namibia hunt. Marius knew this of course, so after the photos were taken he told me that I’d have to update my AH avatar. We both really loved the way the moon showed up between the horns. So as they say, Always listen to your PH!

Last edited by a moderator:
Avatar has nothing to do with the name. I’ll change it as new things come along. This is of a lion track with a 375 H&H for size comparison.
Ridgewalker was given to me in the early 1970s when I took my boss and a bud backpacking in the Pecos Wilderness of New Mexico. It then became my CB handle as I worked designing antennas until moving to Colorado.
I might should have changed it to Roadkill. That was my nickname at work because I would stop and pick up road killed coyotes, foxes and raccoons which I would skin after work and sell. After that, everyone would bring me items such as menus from a The Roadkill Cafe back east, “Roadkill Helper” which was sued by Hamburger Helper, a dried roadkilled frog from Wyoming, etc. My cubical was filled with stuff.
Just goes to show life can be fun depending on what you do with it!

Interesting thread thanks for getting it going again Royal27!

Avatar is myself with my first DG animal I took during 2012 PAC season in Zim. The pride this lion belonged to was causing havoc in a village 90km from the main road leading to vic falls between the airport and the cattle grid as you enter the falls . Spent 3 days gathering reports building blinds calling all through the night with no luck only when we got on foot and tracked them for 3 hours through thick riverine forest and finding another cow that the locals did not even realise was missing we came across them in chest high grass in a river bed and all we could see was grass moving as they ran in front of us and to the side of us and only hearing that gut churning growl and snarl!! After a short chase through the river bed did we got to higher ground and saw them below us 70m away and after a volley of lead we got her down on the ground. Then the 2 hour hike to get the cruiser and cutting down some mopane trees we strapped her to it carried her up and over a hill to get her to the vehicle !!

Over the next 2 weeks we took 4 elephant and were told by the district council we had taken enough elephant but they wanted more lions !!

The name is of the make and model of rifle I highly rate and have one in .375 ( in the picture) and one in .458 lott

My Avatar is the photo Randy Strangemore (a true friend and proud Newfoundlander) took of my son Charles and I at the head of Western Brook Gorge on the west coast of the Great Northern Peninsula in Newfoundland during a week long extreme wilderness snowmobiling trip. Charles came into my life at the age of 8 with his mom (the love of my life) Cynthia. His constant question to me was "When can I go ___ with you?" The blank being any one of the following "moose hunting", "bear hunting", extreme snowmobiling", "elk hunting", etc, etc. My forever answer was "When your 18.". Well, eventually Charles turned 18 and he reminded me of my many promises. That was a wonderful, exciting and expensive year. Now I am doing all these things with my 10 grandkids!! Ain't life wonderful!! My handle is my name because that is who I am.

Last edited:
My avatar is my best friend and companion and the one who thinks she owns the truck I drive the name comes from a job I had for about ten years hauling crude oil from the well to the refinery here in wyo lots of hauling even though we have pipelines everywhere,

I used to have a family portrait of Lynette, me and Bruno (Grauvolk Bruno Von Gruff) but have changed it to Bruno on his own as was the inspiration behind my forum name that has become the name my knives have become known by so it is fitting that he graces every post I make.

My avatar is of my first African game taken. My user name is easy, I carried a Para Ordnance P-12 in 45 ACP, so I chose PARA45 (y)(y)

Have to reply to this one I think...:) My user name..!? well,,women often have trouble recognising irony and sarcasm haven`t they...and I`ve gone smack into the trap on countless occasions. Doghouse is my second home;) Guys mostly immediately understand and start laughing but the ladys..damn! Even the bright ones get a wrinkle between the eyebrows...analysing..10..15seconds......wtf!!...ahh...ohh...hmmm..ohh yess haha...
Departing Bulawayo still high on adrenaline I stumbled upon a party of some type of American missionaries at the check in counter. I have the highest respect for christians but these guys..arrogant sosialists, liberals clearly painted all over them. I was approached by the obvious leader of them asking me what I`ve done there... you know those clammy smelly types when talking to you they get a ft too close trying to steer you down..it was obvious what I´ve been doing and I`m sure he/it whatever was trying to start an argument..oh well.. I`m not the type to screw around with. still high on adrenaline I smiled devilish and replied ; Killing elephants and scaring the hell out of villagers around Kizile Lupane, still smiling and staring the sucker down.. haha the whole room got quiet..some of them asses made squeaky noises probably choking on their green-green soya tea with milk from certified O2 farting ecological happy cows.. btw There was no argument. Strange people. Think besides being a hunter they didn`t like the way I interacted with the airport staff joking and making them laugh long and loud. I know they where steering. Weird.
Anyways, think its pretty safe to say my user name is hard earned;)
Avatar is of the second ele I dropped in a cornfield with Wayne @Nyamazana Safaris. Totally epic wild adrenaline rush. Greatest hunt I`ve ever had. I`ve been in a tight spot with ele before in Kenya, but nothing like this. I did a big mistake (joking)..before the hunt I wrote to Wayne that I was all in..no walking distance was to long, no situation would be too dangerous as long as they where up for it. Well, Wayne came very close to making me eat those words. When you return to camp at 2-3AM, the hair on your arms still stand straight up and you smell of ele...not because you`ve been crawling around in ele dung but because you`ve been so darn close to them and they were so many.. Charged 3 times during a nigth.. Large bull ele at 10 to 15 ft away..DAMN AWESOME! When we initially fired at pictured ele I got aware of a rumbling noise...The earth was shaking.. I turned my old trusted Rigby towards the noise, brave Nyamazana tracker Graham followed the rifle barrel with the flashlight.. To my horror I see 8-10 ele charging straight towards me an Wayne.. 40yds,,35,,30,,25,,20...then they broke off...#@@% #%&& cracy awesome experience.. I had 2 cartridges left in my Rigby.. I recall thinking "make them count" this is it.. I had to stand my ground. Focus on tasks. Do the job.. We had 4 or 5 trackers about 15 yds behind us. This could be very ugly.
Anyways,,here are a top tip from accidental villain ; If ever planning for a ele night hunt, CHECK THE MOON PHASES! and dont hunt in total darkness as i did :P Cowboy:

Gunner was my call sign from the 2nd ACR. A nickname I've had for 30 years. I started as a Howitzer Gunner Bravo Battery 82nd Div ABN. Then was the gunner on an M1A2 Abrams until I got promoted to Tank Commander....My avatar as you call it will be a kill from my last latest Africa hunt...Too easy?

The story behind my name is that I found out later I could not change it. The avatar is that is a hog i killed with a throwing spear Tim Wells style.

The user name is a nod to where I live (SW Alaska) as well as my alma mater (Fort Hays State University).

The photo is a reminder of a wonderful hunt. I shot two nice bulls and my hunting buddy shot his first caribou, a bull that gross scored something like 430. The one in the photo, mine, was around 380. It was a fun, memorable hunt for reasons well beyond the animals we shot.

The user name is a nod to where I live (SW Alaska) as well as my alma mater (Fort Hays State University).

The photo is a reminder of a wonderful hunt. I shot two nice bulls and my hunting buddy shot his first caribou, a bull that gross scored something like 430. The one in the photo, mine, was around 380. It was a fun, memorable hunt for reasons well beyond the animals we shot.
Cool looking rifle in your avatar!

Well, my name is Robert Novi-xxxxx so...RNovi works for a name...and the avatar is my Vaal that I took in 2019. He is over 10.5” and was one of the toughest hunts I’ve ever done. We certainly worked for him!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg