Your 3 favorite hunting cartridges of all time

7mm-08
338 Win Mag
Ruger 375

Hon. Men. - 280 Rem, 7mm Rem Mag, 35 Whelen, 358 Norma Mag
@Capebuffalo
Mate I'm a bit disappointed it should be 280 rem,35Whelen and 358 Norma. Having the 280 make the other 7mm mute in my book.
The 7mm-08 can also be left out because of the 280.
Leave the 338 at home, stoke the Whelen up and take it instead.
The 375 Ruger yes.
So it should have read
280 rem
35Whelen
358 Norma
375 Ruger.
Sell the 7mm-08, 7mm mag and the 338 and use the money towards another hunt.
Simple logic, more space and more money = more fun
Bob

@Capebuffalo
Mate I'm a bit disappointed it should be 280 rem,35Whelen and 358 Norma. Having the 280 make the other 7mm mute in my book.
The 7mm-08 can also be left out because of the 280.
Leave the 338 at home, stoke the Whelen up and take it instead.
The 375 Ruger yes.
So it should have read
280 rem
35Whelen
358 Norma
375 Ruger.
Sell the 7mm-08, 7mm mag and the 338 and use the money towards another hunt.
Simple logic, more space and more money = more fun
Bob
No flies on this one, Bob! :LOL: I love so many rifles.....must agree, I feel better about this one today! Thanks for pushing me to my actual choices!;)

My top 3 are.
7mm-08 Remington
30-06 Springfield
500/416 Nitro Express
However I like all calibres. It depends on how well you can shoot them
I think now my top 3 are 7mm-08 Remington, 500/416 Nitro Express and 375 Ruger.

30-06,30-30,.223 - I suppose . I always have a hard time picking favorites. Anything I shoot I love as long as it’s a decently made firearm. I love the versatility of the 12 gauge too. I bet if I had a 7x57, or 6.5 whatever I’d love them too. Same goes for a .416 Rigby or 404 Jeffrey(if I owned them). Buy the way, the pictures of rifles I’ve been seeing on this forum are great. You folks have some nice rifles. Cool beans. Sorry I babble when asked about favorites. It’s just never a simple thing for me. Lol. I never could pick favorites.

It isn't the size of the bullet Bob.
It's what you can do with it!
@93marlin
To me 6mm bullets ar a waste of lead that could be used for better calibers or turned into light sinkers for fishing. So yes they have a use just not hunting.
Bob

@93marlin
To me 6mm bullets ar a waste of lead that could be used for better calibers or turned into light sinkers for fishing. So yes they have a use just not hunting.
Bob
Although I don’t own a .243 and likely never will, I should think .243 has some practical purpose on varmints. Some folks use them on deer in the states, although I wouldn’t. Long range competition guys are loving the 6mm . To each his own. Shoot well and safely.

Although I don’t own a .243 and likely never will, I should think .243 has some practical purpose on varmints. Some folks use them on deer in the states, although I wouldn’t. Long range competition guys are loving the 6mm . To each his own. Shoot well and safely.
@Bob Nelson 35Whelen...set Mr. @Vinootz straight on the 243WIN please. :ROFLMAO:

My 2 are 8x57i & 22lr. I own a Mannlicher MCA 243, I bought it because it was nearly unfired and cheap. I am not a big fan of 6 mm, I like a larger heavier bullet, that being said the 243 with 90-100gr bullets will put down any deer at reasonable ranges. I have been using a Oberndorf B sporter made in 1912 8x57i for Kansas whitetail for several years, never had to trail one for more than 50 yards. Most of my shooting is 200 yards offhand at paper with 8.15x47r plain base cast lead bullets & with a rifle proofed in 1907.
Mike

Last edited:
My dad took a giant kudu with his .243 in 2007. In was a poor shot and ran a long way but they found it right before we left on the last day

For a period of time when growing up in the South African Bushveld, I only had a 243 Win available to me..... I dropped many kudu, impala, and warthogs on the spot, mainly head and neck shots, but sadly, wounded many with behind-the-shoulder shots....also wounded some more when the bullets traveled through...Definitely not a bushveld/woods cartridge...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg