You guys with Ruger Africans in .275 Rigby take notice of this!!

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)

Attachments

• Ruger Hawkeye African M77 Model 47180 .275 Rigby 24” Bolt Action Rifle 2017 - Bolt Action Rifl...pdf
    2 MB · Views: 76
I paid a little extra for the .275 version but Not that bad!

17431D07-C208-4890-8258-FEBF35E27A1D.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Neat rifles for sure. I had a 6.5 Swede too but it wasnt much for accuracy.

I had one of the Lipsey Ruger Africans in .275. and paid about $975 when they first came out. Sold it for about $1600 about 3 years later. Asking $3000 plus for that rifle is xl2jsu. Offering to pay it is worse.

I've got the 6.5x55.
The price on the 275 went up way too fast before I found one. More than I was willing to pay and it was a lot less than that. Lol
I do have 10 boxes of hornady 275 rigby ammo though. Lol

I have a Ruger No1, I bought here. Beautiful rifle. Finding 275 R brass is tough now.

If you look at the bid history on the sale of that Ruger, you'll see most of the bidders are relatively new bidders with no rating (NR) or very low history numbers. The bidders with more experience dropped out when the bids moved into the stupid-sphere. Some of these new bidders end up being non-payers and the rifle comes back online for sale again. Others are new bidders with a bad case of FOMO (fear of missing out) and pay stupid prices.

I had Ruger Africans in 275 Rigby, 6.5x55 Swede and 9.3x62. I sold all of them to different members here on AH. Glad I got to own them and I'm glad they were sold to people that would really appreciate them. I don't spend any time worrying about the value of guns I used to own. I've never considered guns investments.

I have to correct myself, had so many guns I forget which is which. I didnt ever have the bolt action but a No.1 in .275 Rigby that I sold here.
I was looking for the bolt gun but even when the price was much lower it seemed too high.

If you look at the bid history on the sale of that Ruger, you'll see most of the bidders are relatively new bidders with no rating (NR) or very low history numbers. The bidders with more experience dropped out when the bids moved into the stupid-sphere. Some of these new bidders end up being non-payers and the rifle comes back online for sale again. Others are new bidders with a bad case of FOMO (fear of missing out) and pay stupid prices.
Or sometimes the owner bids under an alias to drive the bid up ... and winds up keeping his gun less auction fees. Boo-hoo. I generally don't bother with online auctions. Only deal with "buy it now". Or make an offer.

Those are a nice enough rifle but not worth that price tag, especially not used. And why pay so much for a gun that will be difficult to feed? Novelty effect?

Or sometimes the owner bids under an alias to drive the bid up ... and winds up keeping his gun less auction fees. Boo-hoo. I generally don't bother with online auctions. Only deal with "buy it now". Or make an offer.

Those are a nice enough rifle but not worth that price tag, especially not used. And why pay so much for a gun that will be difficult to feed? Novelty effect?
7x57 rifles are not hard to feed....

I believe the issue is if you are taking the rifle to let's say Africa, and the rifle is stamped 275 Rigby, you can't bring 7x57 ammo with you.

Neat rifles for sure. I had a 6.5 Swede too but it wasnt much for accuracy.
I had the M77 MKII in 6.5 Swede and it was the only rifle I have ever owned that would consistently put 3 shots into 3/4" at 200 yards! Glass bedding it was the key. It was a 4"-at-100-yard rifle prior to the glass bed job.

I guess I've never owned a wood stocked M77 that was truly accurate by modern standards and that's going back into the 80's. All good, solid 2 MOA game killers, but that's about it. More or less the same as my No 1s. Love them both and they always get the job done. I wish they still made the standard M77RS models.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GennieL592

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.