Would you shoot a Cape Buffalo with a 300-grain Accubond from a .375 H&H?

Having only shot one buffalo so far, my opinion is pretty light weight and non-consequential but, I would not select the Accubond bullet (or any .375 caliber rifle for buffalo) for my use personally.
However, if I did decide to shoot a buffalo with the .375 caliber for some reason, I would prefer the .300 gr Swift A-Frame for my first shot and flat tipped ("meplat") solids in the magazine for all backing shots, if needed.
Sorry for my seemingly jaded attitude on this and my intent is not to offend but, buffalo permits are expensive, not to mention all the other costs associated with a safari.
Therefore, my personal "minimum" for buffaloes will always be .40 caliber / 400 grain and I would have no problem choosing .458 or .500 for them either.
Grumpy Old Man out.
Velo, I thought for a moment you might say something like, "you could use a frozen herring, but what's the point?":)

And if using a 375 Ruger what would everyone here recommend ( in factory loads I don't reload) SP followed by solids I assume?

And if using a 375 Ruger what would everyone here recommend ( in factory loads I don't reload) SP followed by solids I assume?

My vote is for whatever your PH recommends.
It is always good policy to abide within the chosen PH's requests, as much as humanly possible.
However, if he or she is not too particular about bullets (that'd be very unusual), I accordingly would vote for 300 grain Swift A-Frame for that all-important first shot then, followed with your magazine filled with 300 grain "meplat" shaped (flat tip) solids of whatever variety your particular rifle shoots somewhere near the same point of impact to the A-Frames.

Not me at least.

Velo is correct - check with your PH - but most, at least in my experience, are not dogmatic about this. I have not and will not follow with solids if I am using the TSX in a .375 or larger rifle. This is not because solids won't work - they obviously will. But I am personally convinced that a 300 gr TSX will drive almost as deeply as a solid and will have done a lot more damage in route to getting there. That includes on both an in or outbound buffalo.

Follow up with solids after the first shot on buffalo used to be good latin, but is that not history given all the splendid new generation bullets..??

when I first started shooting/hunting I was very skeptical about the Barnes TSX. but the more I use them the more I like them! for starters I have yet to find a rifle that wont shoot them well. the Barnes TSX was also highly recommended by my PH who insisted a full mag of expanding copper bullets was all you needed for buffalo.

I will be hunting cape buffalo in September and while im not sure what gun ill be using im 90% sure I will be using a full magazine of TSX bullets.

side note: I REALLY wish Barnes would make a 600gr TSX for the 505 Gibbs!

-matt

I used Barnes X during my last PG hunt in Namibia, .375H&H and 235 grain bullets....this bullet really tears a big hole in the animal.....Barnes and 260 grain Nosler accubond is by far the best bullets I have used..

If a cape buffalo hunt should materialize I would go for either Barnes or 300 gr. Swift...tough choice..

If a cape buffalo hunt should materialize I would go for either Barnes or 300 gr. Swift...tough choice..

easy choice:

hunting in a herd = Swift A-frame
hunting solo bulls = Barnes TSX

im also a big fan of the A-frame! I would trust either bullet to bring down a grumpy old buffalo.

-matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross