Would you hunt in Africa, in case the trophies could not be imported to your country?

Would you hunt in Africa, in case the trophies could not be imported to your country?

• Total voters
@Dragan N.

To hunt in Africa one must:
Step 1. One must:
- Have funds (you say 100.000 USD net worth, which may be accepted as reference)

Step 2. One must:
- Grow up looking at his grandfather skinning a deer
- get his first 22 from father, by age of 14
- get his first job, and start saving to buy 2nd hand winchester m70
- spend weekends with buddies at shooting range
- get shit from his wife, on occasion when is late from hunting
- be life member of local club
- go North, hunt geese
- read Ruark, hamingway, Bell,
- be subscribed to few gun magazines
- etc

remove step 2, which most likely will not be possible in many countries in Asia, or South America, or Middle east then the one will not be African hunter.
Because, by removing step 2, you have removed the culture.

With only step 1, accomplished, (100k, or less) you will have "adventurous" visitors in national parks, and in reality it does happen. India, China, japan... they all visit national parks of Kenya, and south africa
. Much less do they go hunting Buffalo in Zimbabwe - where would they get that idea?!.

@Dragan N.

Step 1. One must:
- Have funds (you say 100.000 USD net worth, which may be accepted as reference)

Step 2. One must:
- go North, hunt geese
- etc

remove step 2, which most likely will not be possible in many countries in Asia, or South America, or Middle east then the one will not be African hunter.

With only step 1, accomplished, (100k, or less) you will have "adventurous" visitors in national parks, and in reality it does happen. India, China, japan... they all visit national parks of Kenya, and south africa
. Much less do they go hunting Buffalo in Zimbabwe - where would they get that idea?!.
@mark-hunter

I understand the flavour of your response, whereby you say that unless a culture of hunting is combined with sufficient funds, there will not be an increase in future Africa hunters.

But I would remove the "must" from step 2. In my own case, I come from a no-hunting, anti-gun family, did my hunting license around the age of 26 out of my own interest and now passion for hunting and the natural world. I see this with some others of a younger age as well. They often do not have the culture being spoon-fed during their upbringing, but it only took one hunter through acquaintances, expressing an interest in this youngster to make their interest bloom and get them on the track of hunting in own country. Once that is accomplished, it will still take a few years, but some of the big hurdles before hunting in Africa have been removed.

This is why I would insist that as hunters, we should always try to also include non-hunters in our activities and be open about them. Not everyone has the luxury of growing up in a hunting family.

But, my dear, you come from Belgium!
Do I need to say anything more?

But, You are right, and do have a point!
Personally, my view is, that each one of us, is also ambassador of our activities, hunting and target shooting, and firearm ownership.
If each one of us, bring only one friend to hunting, or target shooting, our numbers would double in our lifetime

Would definitely give me heartburn not to bring home my trophies. But let’s fight like hell to make sure that never happens.
In November of 2022 let’s sweep out the democrats in congress and put some rational leadership in place.
What gives the USFWP rights to determine wildlife policy in African countries? Absolutely nothing.
Let’s start in November to end democratic incompetence and overreach.
NO MORE DEMOCRATS !

I would absolutely hunt. I’m running out of wall space now and money to import now. Highly considering not bringing next trips trophies home. Everything will get put to good use so there is no morel reason not to leave something.

@Dragan N.

Step 1. One must:

Step 2. One must:
- go North, hunt geese
- etc

We are in full agreement. I just wanted to highlight that the lack of hunters from other parts of the global i.e. the global south is not only due to a lack of finances but also their differing views towards hunting and a lack of a hunting culture in those countries. America dominates the safari hunting business not only because of income but also because of its strong hunting culture...

There are too many stories ongoing about trophy import bans here and there.

But, I personally think that worst thing that can happen is ban on hunting, only second worst thing is trophy import / export ban - but this I see as much lesser evil than banning the hunt altogether.

Would I hunt in Africa, in case of trophy import / export ban?
Yes.
Even without any ban, I am quite in favour of hunting tuskless ele, or non exportable ele, once in (distant) future.

Next thing, I am running out of space for my trophies at home, and I am sure that if I continue hunting in africa, (god willing, and health & finances allowing), I will reach the point of simply having no space for new trophies.
For first time African hunter, this probably is unthinkable, because first time African hunter will want some memorabilia.

Next thing, my photos are equially good memorabilia for me. Photo album. And even better, my daily journal of safari, that I write, every evening in African hunting camp.

But bottom line, banning trophy imports would not stop me hunting. At home, or in Africa.

So, I made this poll, to see where we as a community stand, and how much trophy import ban would affect our industry.
Wouldn't stop me for a minute! I just need to get enough body parts working properly to be able to pull of another safari and I won't bring anything back, regardless of the regulations.

I enjoy both the trophies and the experiences that go with being there. However, space limitations (small house), travel, and costs tend to inject a dose of reality to the situation. A trophy importation ban would certainly dampen my enthusiasm for hunting a "trophy" animal. But I've already been on my first (only) African safari, and have successfully hunted the species which were of primary interest to me. So any future safaris would likely concentrate on non-trophy animals (and as others have noted, at reduced cost). And it would be nice if other activities were available (which probably means lifting of COVID restrictions for tourists).

But in the grand scheme of things finances, health, and availability will always be the primary determining factors.

Last edited:
No trophy to bring home? No. If I could bring the meat home? maybe. I dont care the species, Myself I have no need to needlessly kill with nothing to show for it. I understand cull hunting, but the whole reason for that is to improve the trophy animals...which under the idea of the question cant be utilized.
I may still go to africa for tourism, but it wouldnt be as immersive or as long of a trip.

No trophy to bring home? No. If I could bring the meat home? maybe. I dont care the species, Myself I have no need to needlessly kill with nothing to show for it. I understand cull hunting, but the whole reason for that is to improve the trophy animals...which under the idea of the question cant be utilized.
I may still go to africa for tourism, but it wouldnt be as immersive or as long of a trip.
A little tangent for a moment.....
I would say you totally misunderstand the need for culling a herd (any herd, anywhere). Culling is the means to control the pressure on the food supply (of the animals) and prevent damage to the environment they live in so that the herd remains healthy. Removing animals that don't meet the standards for whatever species being dealt with, is just one of the ways to meet the number needed to be removed to protect the herd health. Improving trophy animals is done primarily through selective breeding; in both wild and domestic herds. Culling typically takes the older, past breeding age animals, out of the herd so the rest have less competition for the finite resources of the pasture.
And thus endeth the tangent. Back to the topic.....

Yes - I’m from the UK and going on my first buff hunt in Zim this year. I will likely not bring any trophies home - largely due to pending legislation which will make it illegal for me to do so but also the cost factor. I don’t think on balance the cost of getting any work done and shipping it home is worth it, for something to sit on my wall when I can draw the same memories from lots of quality photos I will take.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you