Work-up to May 2023, SA plains game

We spent a month in Limpopo last year and the brush was thick and green. Knowing that, we sighted our rifles dead on at 100 yards. I wanted to be prepared for shooting with precision and speed through a hole in the brush. With 2 exceptions, all shots were well under 100 yards. A PH at Quagga said it best when he said in the terrain we were hunting, you need to be on the sticks and placing a precise shot in about 3 seconds max or the animal will be gone. We found that to be a very valid point.

Overthinking things gets you worked up, but it also makes you better prepared. Practice on the sticks as much as you can and then go to Africa and enjoy yourself. You will have a great time with Koos and his team.

Safe hunting

Figured I would run this by the forum to see where I am at in preparation.

Rifle - 300WM Browning X-Bolt
Optic - Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44

I completed break-in last month on the gun. Pretty much mind-numbing 20 rds, clean/shoot/clean/shoot etc. This morning I went out and actually got down to the real zero of the rifle. Took about 6-7 shots initially, but it seems like by the end I managed the 7 shot group @ 100 yds in about 1-1.5". Number 7 shot, 6 o clock low, was me compensating for the 1-1.5" high group @ 100 yds. My plan next week is to zero at 200 yds. Might need a click or two left on windage but the 1-1.5" high elevation should be close on 200.

- 200 yds next week
- Order BDS custom dial
- Test with Barnes 180gr TTSX
- Final workup will be 50-100-200 yds off sticks for real preparation

I know for a lot of you guys this is probably baby steps but I just want to make sure I am on the right track here. Thanks so much.
View attachment 514423View attachment 514424View attachment 514425
Plenty accurate. Now time to just practice off sticks especially at 200+ yards

To beat the already dead horse:
Keep it simple!

1. Zero for 200 yards and forget about worrying about drop.
2. Shoot as much as possible off the sticks and practice staying in the gun and working the bolt quickly for a second shot.
3. Practice making the shot within three seconds.
4. Dry fire on days that you can't get to the range.

Just an update. Continuing practice.

- I am leaving it sighted for 100 yds. Seems the general consensus as to where we are going, as SFRanger said: thick brush.
- If I need to adapt for a slightly longer range like 200 yds, I can holdover a tad high (1-2") if needed
- Continuing to practice off the sticks.
- Studying shot placement on my target animals with a few incidentals.

Getting real antsy now. The anticipation is becoming very real. Going through my packing lists.

More practice yesterday. Hopefully it is warmer in RSA when we go in a month. I suppose anything better than not being able to feel my trigger finger is an improvement.
IMG_9404.jpg

Reactions: MTA
Train like you fight. Train in worse conditions will make better conditions easier.

19 degrees and 1-2" of snow with 20mph winds. Not too typical for NJ in almost April. You're right though. Anything better than this is smooth sailing lol.

More practice yesterday. Hopefully it is warmer in RSA when we go in a month. I suppose anything better than not being able to feel my trigger finger is an improvement. View attachment 526193
If there is no cold front on the way from the south you should get up to 80's in the middle of the day in Limpopo. June and July is when it drops down lower. Bush will still be very thick with leaves starting to drop in early May.

Where in Limpopo are you going some areas are hottter than others?

If there is no cold front on the way from the south you should get up to 80's in the middle of the day in Limpopo. June and July is when it drops down lower. Bush will still be very thick with leaves starting to drop in early May.

Where in Limpopo are you going some areas are hottter than others?

Should be the Lephalale region, to my knowledge.

19 degrees and 1-2" of snow with 20mph winds. Not too typical for NJ in almost April. You're right though. Anything better than this is smooth sailing lol.
Where in NJ??

We will be in Limpopop with Kuche Safaris. Impala, blesbok, and hopefully warthog. We are beginners so we will be sticking to the more beginner-appropriate game.
We are going late May of 2024. I would appreciate your feedback. We are also going to Limpopo with Kuche. We’ll be hunting the same critters and the Spiral Slam. Have a fantastic hunt!!!

Thank you! This rifle actually is the reason we are going. It was part of the safari package through a seller on Gunbroker who works with Kuche. I love the rifle, think it's perfect for Africa, but my only regret: It's simply too pretty to drag through the woods/bush here in NA. The group we are going with has:

3 Browning X-Bolt White Gold Medallion special editions in 300WM
1 Winchester Model 70 in special edition camo in 300WM

I will confess that my brother, with the Model 70, scored a nice rifle. I almost dare to say a Model 70 in something like 30-06 or 308 might be in the future for me for NA.
I’ll hope to see a review of your hunt when you come back. I have a trip booked for May of 2024 with Kuche.

My hunt also came through a rifle purchase with JD Outfitters. I knew that I wanted to book a hunt so I saw it as a way to get a free rifle more than a free hunt as I’ve added a couple of days and Zebra, Kudu, Blue Wildebeest, and Gemsbok.

I spoke on the phone a few times with Jerry of JD outfitters and thought that he seems like a great guy that runs a great gun shop.

Good luck.

We are going late May of 2024. I would appreciate your feedback. We are also going to Limpopo with Kuche. We’ll be hunting the same critters and the Spiral Slam. Have a fantastic hunt!!!
It looks like we’ll be there shortly before you. I’ll be in camp May 4th-13th with my wife as an observer.

We’re arriving on May 25, 2024. There’s going to be several of us. My wife will be joining us too. She’s excited about doing the Elephant Engagement.
It looks like we’ll be there shortly before you. I’ll be in camp May 4th-13th with my wife as an observer

Should be the Lephalale region, to my knowledge.
Ellisras/Lephalale my hometown where I grew up you should find the temps very enjoyable.
Might be chilly early morning and night and heating up to work up a sweat when stalking later on in the morning.

We will be in Limpopop with Kuche Safaris. Impala, blesbok, and hopefully warthog. We are beginners so we will be sticking to the more beginner-appropriate game.
Good choice.. hunted with Kuche Safaris in 2021 great people.

Where in NJ??

This was Vernon/Highland Lakes so a bit of a ways up there. Cherry Ridge. This state is just bonkers with the weather. Last week: 19 degrees and cooler in some spots with snow. Over the weekend: Tornados ripped through a town where a good friend lives and it was 77 degrees before they moved through. As they say in NJ: "Don't like the weather? Wait 15 minutes. It will change."

I’ll hope to see a review of your hunt when you come back. I have a trip booked for May of 2024 with Kuche.

My hunt also came through a rifle purchase with JD Outfitters. I knew that I wanted to book a hunt so I saw it as a way to get a free rifle more than a free hunt as I’ve added a couple of days and Zebra, Kudu, Blue Wildebeest, and Gemsbok.

I spoke on the phone a few times with Jerry of JD outfitters and thought that he seems like a great guy that runs a great gun shop.

Good luck.

Absolutely. Koos has been has been top notch. My cousin has been handling all the logistics in terms of travel and importation of our firearms. I am handling the equipment and outfitting side. Info on guns, ammo, techniques, clothing, incidentals, etc. Very much looking forward to it. Getting close now. Jerry was also very pleasant to work with purchasing our rifles.

Ellisras/Lephalale my hometown where I grew up you should find the temps very enjoyable.
Might be chilly early morning and night and heating up to work up a sweat when stalking later on in the morning.

I like it. I can deal with that. I see it can be mid to upper 40's in the morning and late night with daytime highs in the 70's into mid 80's. Basically, NJ about this time of year. Packing a camo fleece and a light merino skull cap hat for the chilly mornings. I am a long pants and long sleeves type of guy. I figure worst case I roll my safari shirt sleeves up. They are pretty light material.

Good choice.. hunted with Kuche Safaris in 2021 great people.

This is good to hear. I've honestly heard nothing but good about them. Everyone just has nothing but positive things to say about Koos and his family.

Reactions: MTA
I just returned from my first Safari in Limpopo a couple weeks ago. The only suggestion I would have for you and your group is to be flexible with the animals you hunt.

I had 4 animals in my 6 day package. I didn't get a shot at any of these til day 5. I did take 4 other very nice animals prior to this, but I didn't fire shot at anything until day 3.

I learned that some of the more common "easier" animals can be darn elusive. Keep an open mind on the animals you may want to hunt and enjoy what Africa offers you on her terms. You'll enjoy it.

I just returned from my first Safari in Limpopo a couple weeks ago. The only suggestion I would have for you and your group is to be flexible with the animals you hunt.

I had 4 animals in my 6 day package. I didn't get a shot at any of these til day 5. I did take 4 other very nice animals prior to this, but I didn't fire shot at anything until day 3.

I learned that some of the more common "easier" animals can be darn elusive. Keep an open mind on the animals you may want to hunt and enjoy what Africa offers you on her terms. You'll enjoy it.

Much appreciate the input. We actually spoke to Koos at Kuche yesterday. We gave him our list of "must haves" and "would like to's" if encountered and he's coordinating our areas. I've tried to stress to my group to look at the pricelist and start thinking of other options.

Final update. Basically a week away now. Rifle and scope are dialed in. Off sticks at 100 yds. I'm managing 3" groups or so which is a dead animal by all accounts. I'm happy, I'm confident. I've probably put over 100 rds off the sticks of 300WM at this point which is enough to make me confident at that range. I've learned so much about the rifle, ammo, and myself.

I remember 2 years ago when this was just sort of a pipe-dream. Time went on, things came together. Now we are 7 days away. Granted, the clock feels like it has stood still for these last days.

Hopefully my next post will be reporting my success and a good trip over in the reports forum. Thank you to everyone for all the help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smithcaterine92

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg