Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Australia/NZ
Hey guys
Need a little advice. I trying to talk myself into buying a large bore rifle. Don't really have a need for one other than I want one. I have my eye on a 1973 Winchester Model 70 Supergrade originally .458 win but opened up to .458 Lott. Rifle comes with original open sights (100,200,300 yd) and is in excellent condition. Custom oiled stock with no visible marks. Would like opinions on what this rifle is worth and any good/bad reviews? Would also be buying based on pics as it is not close to where I live.
Thanks in advance.

I really have no idea what that rifle would be worth. It perhaps has fair value with it being a SG and in good condition, but the seller is going to have a challenge here. Most buyers of M70's want controlled round feed. The rifle in question is from 1973, so obviously not pre-64 but also not of current models that do have CRF. So it has to be push feed and that is going to really hurt the value.

GKNOX I have a 458 Lott and I do like it. I'm not sure that I would want to mess with a rifle that is a conversion however! Phil makes a good point above about feed.

Thanks guys. I was wondering when Winchester started producing CRF again. I had not heard back yet from seller but that is a must have for me. Thanks again for the info and feedback.

The M70 "Classics" bringing back CRF started coming out sometime mid-90's. If I recall there were still pushfeeds being sold then, but I think now all if not most M70's are CRF. The Safari Express rifles are all CRF. You can't get the LOTT only .458Win, but if I wanted a M70 I don't I'd let that stop me.

I know of a Ruger RSM in .458 Lott that is being sold at a very reasonable cost, likely due to the muzzle brake that is on it. If I was in the market for one, I'd buy it and have the brake removed. If you're interested let me know, I can PM you the link.

I don't know all the specifics, but in general Winchester made dramatic changes in 1964 to cheapen up their guns as they were loosing money and desperate. The quality of course went down as well and these push feeds are probably worth about half of a new one, or less. And the new Winchester M70's are some of the better buys in good quality and classic loking guns with great performance right out of the box... Well, they need their triggers lightened up, IMO. But it is easy to do, I've done two myself. In 458 there is a much smaller customer base, and as you point out, most 458 buyers want CRF. You point out that you don't really need a 458 Lott, but want one.. .Great! But if you have no plans to hunt with it, and if you are on a budget, why not just get this one if it is cheap?

I do have a couple of the newer Safari Express models, a 375 H&H and a 416 Rem Mag, love both and both been bloodied in Africa! They came in white boxes with red lettering. I also have a 300 RUM M70 Classic, the bolt looks a bit differnt, works great, and I got the box with which is brown cardboard with red lettering... So not sure what year it was made, but older than the current series. You are not clear if the 458 you are loking at is a CRF or not... So pretty easy to find out by asking the seller or getting a picture.

If you are interested in great 458 Lott, definitely take a look at a Ruger RSM. I have 3, one does not feed real well so I plan to do some work on it. One is the special run with an elephant inlaid on the floor plate... So gotta keep that. And the 3rd one functions well but I don't need 3 so I may decide to sell that one... I do think their value will only increase as they were under priced for the quality when they were built. An they aren't making more!

Another great gun in 458 is a Kimber Caprivie, currently still being manufactured but a more expensive gun... personally the RSM and M70 fits me better, but the Kimbers are great guns.

What Bob said.

I wouldn't overpay for sure, but especially if you just going to shoot for fun and can get a good deal why not at least consider it?

I do think the whole CRF is overblown just a bit and either can fail. As a client I would have no issue hunting DG with a push feed as long as I knew it functioned correctly, everytime. Which, is the same standard I hold my CRF rifles to.

I don't know all the specifics, but in general Winchester made dramatic changes in 1964 to cheapen up their guns as they were loosing money and desperate. The quality of course went down as well and these push feeds are probably worth about half of a new one, or less. And the new Winchester M70's are some of the better buys in good quality and classic loking guns with great performance right out of the box... Well, they need their triggers lightened up, IMO. But it is easy to do, I've done two myself. In 458 there is a much smaller customer base, and as you point out, most 458 buyers want CRF. You point out that you don't really need a 458 Lott, but want one.. .Great! But if you have no plans to hunt with it, and if you are on a budget, why not just get this one if it is cheap?

I do have a couple of the newer Safari Express models, a 375 H&H and a 416 Rem Mag, love both and both been bloodied in Africa! They came in white boxes with red lettering. I also have a 300 RUM M70 Classic, the bolt looks a bit differnt, works great, and I got the box with which is brown cardboard with red lettering... So not sure what year it was made, but older than the current series. You are not clear if the 458 you are loking at is a CRF or not... So pretty easy to find out by asking the seller or getting a picture.

If you are interested in great 458 Lott, definitely take a look at a Ruger RSM. I have 3, one does not feed real well so I plan to do some work on it. One is the special run with an elephant inlaid on the floor plate... So gotta keep that. And the 3rd one functions well but I don't need 3 so I may decide to sell that one... I do think their value will only increase as they were under priced for the quality when they were built. An they aren't making more!

Another great gun in 458 is a Kimber Caprivie, currently still being manufactured but a more expensive gun... personally the RSM and M70 fits me better, but the Kimbers are great guns.

Say Bob....... if you ever think about selling that M70 in .300RUM, I'd sure like to know!

I'll keep you in mind, but I bought it to convert to a 404 J. Actually ran some shells through the mag and bolt face and it is not going to take much!

However before I do it, I need to try it as is!

I would go for a new Winchester Safari Express in .458 Win. Its a lovely rifle and fits most people very well. A bit less punch than the lott but just as effective

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross