Win Mod 70 in 375 H&H

KSZWHX

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI. DSC
Had a great trip in SA for plains game with my 300 win mag Mod 70 featherweight. Going back in 2022 for Cape Buffalo in July 2022.
Just purchased a beautiful Mod 70 in 375 H&H . I am just curious to know what is the best bullet to use. I have a box of Hornady dangerous game series in 300 grain that came with my new gun. Zeroed at 100 yds. Would this round suffice for Cape Buff.
Looking forward to input for my first Buff hunt .

BourbonTrail

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA (AZ, KY, MO, NM, VA)
Most would recommend 300 gr. Swift A-Frames, Barnes TSX, Trophy Bonded Bear Claws, with a good large meplat mono metal or bonded solid as your backups (i.e., Trophy Bonded Sledghammers, Woodleigh Hydros, Barnes Banded Solids etc.).

Most would advise against the Hornady Dangerous Game line. Good for practice though.

375Fox

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Zambia, Namibia, South Africa
Will Hornady DGX work, probably, but the best bullets you can choose for buffalo are going to be Swift A Frames and Trophy Bonded Bear Claws. Even with DGX bonded it’s not difficult to hear about failures. You’ll have to search a long time to find a Swift A Frame or Trophy Bonded Bear claw that didn’t perform as designed.

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
While the Hornady
DGX might suffice, I think most folks would recommend a better bullet. Swift A Frames are well thought of. Some of the 350 grain bullets would be even better.

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
Had a great trip in SA for plains game with my 300 win mag Mod 70 featherweight. Going back in 2022 for Cape Buffalo in July 2022.
Just purchased a beautiful Mod 70 in 375 H&H . I am just curious to know what is the best bullet to use. I have a box of Hornady dangerous game series in 300 grain that came with my new gun. Zeroed at 100 yds. Would this round suffice for Cape Buff.

Do you hand load? Or do you need factory loaded?

Mark Biggerstaff

Silver supporter
Bronze supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
As others have said. Hornaday might work but why take the chance. I like the Federal 300 Swift Aframes for all African game.
They are is short supply right now but can be found if you ask around.

YancyW

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, RMEF, Ducks Unlimited
Swift Aframes if you can find them. Norma Oryx bullets seem to be around fairly often, I would use those without any concern also.

fourfive8

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana
The Hornady DGX first edition.... NO! The Hornady DGX Bonded... OK. The DGX Bonded will be clearly marked or noted. Otherwise 300 gr A-Frame or TSX or TBBC. Don't cheap out on ammo nor the effort to procure best bullets and ammo. :)

IMG_2725.JPG

Last edited:

AZDAVE

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa,Namibia, Alaska,lower 48
@fourfive8 you beat me to it, I couldn't find a picture of the old DGX box. Like most I recommend the swift frames.

Captain Munro

AH veteran
Reaction score
Website
jtwannabewriter.blogspot.com
The world of bullet selection is deep! I am just starting to study bullet types and their uses for different game. I am an army man so FMJ is what I know haha. PPU used to make 375 H&H FMJs for target practice.

TOBY458

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Swift A Frame, Barnes TSX, TBBC, and some people use Woodleigh as well. 300 grain is most people's preference, but some use 350 gr.

Rick HOlbert

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA life member
Hunted
plains game
I have to go along with most of these folks. First choice would be 300grn A-Frame followed by the Barnes TSX then the TBBC. For solids I have to give my vote to the Woodleigh Hydro solids.

Ryan

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Black Sheep Bowmen Archery Club.
Hunted
Namibia and South Africa
As many have said there's a lot of good choices. If you reload Peregrine Bushmaster in 300 grain work great too, I can vouch for them. At the moment the distributor in the US out of them, but hopefully that will change. Since you are going on a hunt I can help you out with Swift A-Frames bullets if you reload and can't find them. PM me if interested.

Newboomer

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, SCI, American Legion, Freemasons
Hunted
RSA, Maine, Montana, Colorado, Texas, Alaska, California.
Barnes 350gr TSX ahead of 63gr of 4064. One shot kills on buf.

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
Ryan, who is the American Distributor of / for Peregrine bullets?

thriller

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NWTF, NRA, DU, SCI and QDMA
Hunted
Countries: Argentina, United States and Zimbabwe States: AL, LA, FL, MS, Tenn., SD, ND, IA, NE, KN,SC, GA, TX and NC
We have used 300 grain swift A-frames, 300-grain Barnes TSX and 300-grain trophy bonded bear claws in the past on buffalo between me and my father. All worked wonderfully and I would not hesitate to use any of these rounds. Swift A frames have been the preferred bullets from my ph's though. (they were fine with the others they just liked that one best)

Av8or

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Texas, Colorado,Arizona, Iowa, Nebraska South Dakota , Oklahoma Argentina ,South Africa.
71EB28C9-ECBB-410D-90C5-9C065852F086.jpeg
C7D78E0E-E047-478D-B2F0-B7B3BB485300.jpeg

Swift AFrame 300 gr 375 H&H recovered from my buffalo. The best !

Bearhunter46

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Well let’s see the gun

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canadaexies

Latest profile posts

Clifford Johnson wrote on Mark A Ouellette's profile.
Mark, How did your hunt go with Wayne in Zimbabwe?
Cliff
Spartan2473 wrote on tnshooter's profile.
Hey buddy,
Have a great hunt in West TN. Looking forward to planning this next safari with you.

we’ll talk soon!
Hello thanks for acceptance to the group, I live on baffin island. Anyone ever hunt in the Arctic?
Defosse wrote on Kouprey's profile.
Hello Kouprey,

I'm the little little son of Louis Defosse and i'm living in Saigon VIetnam. I'm trying to find some information about ma family and i saw your post where you wrote the Defosse family. Please i'm really interested to know more and share all your information about my family. I tried to find some in Vietnam but very difficult. Please i will be happy to read you soon.

Regards,

Stéphane Defosse