Wi-Fi when not available at camp?

Hmaxwell

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Does anyone have experience with mobile satellite internet? I am wanting to head back sometime yet this fall, but the places I am looking at don't have wifi at camp. I need to be able to check in via email daily to run business. Any advice or experience in this is appreciated - thanks!

Is there mobile coverage in the camps?

What country are you looking at?

@spike.t and @PeteG will know some answers for you.
I think Mike uses the sat for internet on occasion.

Ask outfitter if they can get mobile hit spot and pay them for it! It's worth a try to ask.

The outfitter and the bush pilots I used in the Yukon used a Garmin inReach system to send text messages. I've seen others on AH make comment about using inReach. It seems to work. I'll say this though, I totally enjoyed being 12 days completely off of the grid. The world seemed to manage just fine without me checking in.

Hi Brett, how expensive was the use??

Comes down to how much you use it. I ended up having to work several hours a day for 2 weeks and I was over $10k.

The outfitter and the bush pilots I used in the Yukon used a Garmin inReach system to send text messages. I've seen others on AH make comment about using inReach. It seems to work. I'll say this though, I totally enjoyed being 12 days completely off of the grid. The world seemed to manage just fine without me checking in.

This is a great tool if a few texts get it done. If you really need to work and run a business remotely, I'd suggest a much more robust option. It's honestly probably worth the incremental cost to just go with an outfitter that had a good setup in camp.

My PH would set up his phone as a hot spot for me to communicate with my family and post on AH but I didn't need to do any business.
We would stop at places that I could get Wifi if we were heading some place.

@spike.t and @PeteG will know some answers for you.
I think Mike uses the sat for internet on occasion.
We both have a satellite internet link for internet access and emails etc.
neither of them are mobile or portable systems.
There is a little gadget that supposedly connects to your smartphone and converts to a satellite phone to be used anywhere. I have no idea about costs but as with all sat phones they are pricey to use.
I think I saw an article in African outfitter magazine some time ago on this.

where about are you hunting? Which are and with who?
@spike.t which operator are you with for your sat phone? Can you do a hotspot from your sat phone?
Perhaps iridium or one of the other providers can answer some data connection questions.

as pete said we have sat internet and def not portable!.....big dish and it has to be perfectly aligned or no way it will work....not that great when it is working but better than nothing.....apart from a sat phone its the only comms we have as no cellphone coverage. i know some of the operators in the gmas have sat internet systems put in from talking to our supplier. so @Hmaxwell just ask whichever people you might be interested in hunting with in zambia if they have a system in ....i would have thought these days most will have them, but please dont expect anywhere near the speed or connections you have over there at yours......also if you are going to be using it for down loading a bunch of stuff they might have to upgrade their monthly package to accommodate that.

@Hmaxwell , this is the little gadget i was thinking of...
http://www.thuraya.com/SatSleeve
give them a call and try it out.

Screenshot (125).png

Last edited by a moderator:
as pete said we have sat internet and def not portable!.....big dish and it has to be perfectly aligned or no way it will work....not that great when it is working but better than nothing.....apart from a sat phone its the only comms we have as no cellphone coverage. i know some of the operators in the gmas have sat internet systems put in from talking to our supplier. so @Hmaxwell just ask whichever people you might be interested in hunting with in zambia if they have a system in ....i would have thought these days most will have them, but please dont expect anywhere near the speed or connections you have over there at yours......also if you are going to be using it for down loading a bunch of stuff they might have to upgrade their monthly package to accommodate that.

The one that I noted is totally portable and highly effective. Again, the only downside is price.

If you have to run a business you need to buy an Iridium GO and a suitable plan for Africa. The other things that have been posted are gimmicks. Iridium is the Cadillac.
Philip

My PH would set up his phone as a hot spot for me to communicate with my family and post on AH but I didn't need to do any business.
We would stop at places that I could get Wifi if we were heading some place.

+1

Good day, I just returned from Mbizi in Zambia and they had WiFi, worked great for the time we were there.

Thanks to you all for the input here. Looking into details and data plans. Appreciate the help.

It would be a pity for a man to spend his hunting time in Africa and have to be constantly worrying about connecting back home. It would seem to me that a major reason for being in Africa would be lost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg