Why?

Koos Nel

Reaction score
Why does there have to be a certain outfitter in the Limpopo Province, Lephalale, who refuses to pay his PH his salary, who denies having received a USD750 tip from the client on behalf of the PH. This PH (and his tracker) did not work for this outfitter, because it is his "hobby" - no, he did it for an income. Unfortunately, this PH is not the only one being defrauded by this outfitter...

WHY WHY

Why does the poster have to be so coy about it? If you have facts and want to share them with names let the internet trial begin.

Why does the poster have to be so coy about it? If you have facts and want to share them with names let the internet trial begin.

I second that!

wait!

let me get a drink, some snacks and a cigar.... I just love this stuff!

besides, nothing on tv tonight anyway

Okay, I'm ready

Yes, please do expound further! We await anxiously.

Mike....

He doesn't need facts, just an entertaining story!

Besides, it's Thursday night, entertainment is in grievous short supply

Oops - now you've scared him away!:p

Hi, guys. Sorry for being "coy" about it, but I wanted to give this outfitter a fair chance to come out clean. Unfortunately, he has not come to the party yet. As I've already stated, my husband, the PH, had quite a battle to get most of the money owed to him. Unfortunately, they (the outfitter and his wife), use every ridiculous reason not to pay the rest - for ex. gas usage by my husband - they do not agree with the PH's calculation. For heaven's sake, why would he say that he used a certain amount of gas on behalf of the outfitter and lie about it? And money they now vehemently deny being owed to the PH for a hunt cancelled - not days before the start of the hunt - but only HOURS before the start of the hunt, and even after this outfitter declared to everybody (including clients) that HIS PH WILL BE PAID FOR A CANCELLED HUNT! Hell, let's give him one more chance to come out clean ...

This is why PH become Outfitter.
I have hunted for plenty Outfitters in my time as a freelance PH and I can only recomend two
outfitters that paid me to the cent.

This is why PH become Outfitter.
I have hunted for plenty Outfitters in my time as a freelance PH and I can only recomend two
outfitters that paid me to the cent.

Well Bosman, if this is the case I say she should just tell us who the culprit is. There are probably a handfull of outfitters sweating this post. Asking themselfs "is it me?" I say spill your guts and let us know who it is and what the story is.Then let the outfitter tell us their side.

Rick I cannot agree more on this issue it is time that the names come forward.
I know for a fact that outfitters do have tons of excuses when it comes to pay day.
To all the people who hunt with PHs please if you do have a tip for your PH hand the tip to him yourself and even so to the trackers and skinners.
The only two outfitters I hunted for that paid me to the penny were CHRIS SUSSEN Shukudu Safaris and TINO ERASMUS Trophy Game Safaris.

Hey Bosman,

Have not heard from you in a while. Hopefully your hunting season has been busy.

How are the hunts with Interland in Gokwe South going?

Good luck on your remaining season.

Hi Mike
Great to hear from you.
I have not had much time to be on the forum lately sorry for that.
Hunting has been great this year with more to come next year I have been working on a new area for Buffalo and Elephant in SA.
Blessings Bossie

G'day Bossie, good to see your back "in the saddle".

Cheers old boy.

Koos Nel

Welcome to AH...may we enjoy some of your future posts...

I think you need to change bait or presentation when trying to lure out the lunkers...

Would you be so kind to expound on the excuses provided...
Example:
1. Client did not pay...
2. No tips were provided...
3. I am not paying you because....?
4. I pay all bills the end of the month...(check is in the mail)

Why does there have to be a certain outfitter in the Limpopo Province, Lephalale, who refuses to pay his PH his salary, who denies having received a USD750 tip from the client on behalf of the PH. This PH (and his tracker) did not work for this outfitter, because it is his "hobby" - no, he did it for an income. Unfortunately, this PH is not the only one being defrauded by this outfitter...

lbosafaris
Wow ---this is interesting in that the outfitter are not paying the PH's...the question would become how do they keep getting PH's to work for them?...if they do not get paid...

Rick I cannot agree more on this issue it is time that the names come forward.
I know for a fact that outfitters do have tons of excuses when it comes to pay day.
To all the people who hunt with PHs please if you do have a tip for your PH hand the tip to him yourself and even so to the trackers and skinners.
The only two outfitters I hunted for that paid me to the penny were CHRIS SUSSEN Shukudu Safaris and TINO ERASMUS Trophy Game Safaris.

Hi James

Outfitters who do not pay PH's are Outfitter who has new "fresh" PH's in their camp with each hunt.
Next time you hunt in Africa ask your PH how many Outfitters he has hunted for in the past two years and why.
You will be amazed.

I have been contacted by someone "who knows the rest of the story"...as Paul Harvey use to say on radio. They want the truth flush out...and figure I don't mind pushing the start button.

Please Koos Nel tell us the whole story...and save us the guess work. I would love to hear it...you have not brought your whole story to the public yet...please do...I assure you nobody is afraid that you tell us about it.

My job is done for now.

koos Nel

I have a few questions for you...

Hi James

Outfitters who do not pay PH's are Outfitter who has new "fresh" PH's in their camp with each hunt.
I know individuals that are always looking for greener pastures on yearly or ever other year basis...this is a fact of life they do not like working for anyone for any length of time kind of a wonder lust attitude...heck they will return to the same employer in the future...how do you see these individuals in the questions you are providing...New PH have to start some place and many do not do the research when they are looking to go into the PH market and will go anywhere to try to gain experience and some are still under mom and pop's coat tails.

Next time you hunt in Africa ask your PH how many Outfitters he has hunted for in the past two years and why.
While this is a fair question to ask anyone it does not provide a true reflection of the individual PH or outfitter...it just gives you a time line to judge his experience...i have read some recent books and if we were to use your analogy where would Kevin Thomas stand...in reading his book he skips around different countries and outfitters...
You will be amazed.

Hi, guys. Sorry for being "coy" about it, but I wanted to give this outfitter a fair chance to come out clean. Unfortunately, he has not come to the party yet.
The outfitter in question, does he have a safari camp, or base of operation in the country in question...or does your husband own or have the safari camp? what is the split in the money generated and is this money/profit before and or after the animals and fees are paid for?

As I've already stated, my husband, the PH, had quite a battle to get most of the money owed to him.
Is your Husband a Licensed PH in the country in question? and did your husband have a contract or a hand shake agreement for his services...was this spelled out or just a loose arrangement and the information you are providing is 3rd hand?

Unfortunately, they (the outfitter and his wife), use every ridiculous reason not to pay the rest - for ex. gas usage by my husband - they do not agree with the PH's calculation.
I have been in business for years dealing with vehicle and fuel issues and some have lost there positions for stealing fuel...does your husbands daily mileage and fuel usage consistent with the job...i could check daily on the computer the daily fuel usage and mileage for my vehicles and when the mileage went 10 above or below the average a flag went up and questions were asked...an example: if you drove 100 miles a day at 10 miles a gallon you would use 10 galleons of fuel...i had many vehicles to look after and when the vehicle average went off the track so to say a detailed check of the vehicle travel were performed...daily GPS vehicle usage to match up the two...actual vs reported...where does your husband come in on this question...i have seen to many individuals get in trouble over this one...

For heaven's sake, why would he say that he used a certain amount of gas on behalf of the outfitter and lie about it?
Did your Husband Keep a daily vehicle log...from the sound of thing i do not think so and that leads to grey areas and usually you lose unless you have sound data to support your statements...

And money they now vehemently deny being owed to the PH for a hunt cancelled - not days before the start of the hunt - but only HOURS before the start of the hunt, and even after this outfitter declared to everybody (including clients) that HIS PH WILL BE PAID FOR A CANCELLED HUNT! Hell, let's give him one more chance to come out clean
Again what kind of agreement did your husband have and hand shake and wink or a signed contract spelling out wages, vehicle fuel usage, lodging , meals, beverages...
I would suggest you rad Steve Robinson book on "How to become a Professional Hunter in Africa" you should be able to gleen some helpful information from this sage individual...

You will be amazed.

I have been fortunate with long term PH's

Shaun Buffee hunted with Martin Pieters for the previous 3-4 seasons. He now also hunts Bubye but still hunts with Martin. They maintain a good relationship.

Neil Duckworth has hunted with the same company his entire career. There is a PH that has hunted with Mokore for over 30 years.

Martin Pieters owns his own business and has done so for several years.

Zayne van der Merwe hunted several seasons with Adam Clements. He freelanced some in the early season before Tanzania season opened. He has since retired and went back to his true love, farming.

From what I have seen a lot of PHs bounce around on their own accord also, sometimes good, at times bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg