Why no love for the .358 Win?

Just get a .338WM and be done with all the lesser cartridges. LOL
@CoElkHunter
We are talking about real hunting cartridges mate not fire breathing ass whooping magnums that offer no real advantages out to 200yds. The baby whelen (358) is a fine cartridge for the job.
Before that the 348 win was doing the job just fine and animals didn't complain about the lack of killing power and that was before your precious 338WM. Get rid of it and get a 35 you will be happier.
Bob

View attachment 517930

Brass and bullets converted into 100 bacon busters this afternoon…

Time to take the 358 Winchester to the range and and see how she shoots! :)

Starting out with a fairly mild and inexpensive load… 200gr hornady interlocks over 48gn of IMR 4064… should put me at about 2350fps and give an idea on how well the rifle functions, generally groups, etc…

Then I’ll try to develop a hunting load with Barnes 225gr ttsx (already have a few hundred of those on hand that were originally intended for the Whelen) that will get a little north of 2450fps if I can pull it off… (not sure there is enough case capacity for that… but I’ll try a few different powders and see how it goes…

Took me a month to finally get the rifle to the range… but.. based on todays results I do t think I’m going to change a thing… there’s no reason to tweak or tune a load that is already shooting just inside an inch at 100… clearly the rifle likes the 4064 interlock combo and 48 gr gave me all the thump I think I want out of the gun lol…

I’ll be doing a 3 day hog hunt this coming weekend… I might take the rifle with me and see if I get lucky and find a dumb pig (one that walks out during daylight hours)…. For the not so dumb pigs I’ll have to stick with the 458 socom (nv optic mounted on that one)..

I prefer hunting in the day, but my 500 Jeffery was definitely enough gun for piggies...

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Took me a month to finally get the rifle to the range… but.. based on todays results I do t think I’m going to change a thing… there’s no reason to tweak or tune a load that is already shooting just inside an inch at 100… clearly the rifle likes the 4064 interlock combo and 48 gr gave me all the thump I think I want out of the gun lol…

I’ll be doing a 3 day hog hunt this coming weekend… I might take the rifle with me and see if I get lucky and find a dumb pig (one that walks out during daylight hours)…. For the not so dumb pigs I’ll have to stick with the 458 socom (nv optic mounted on that one)..
Mdwest that's a great load you have there. I achieved max performance with the 225grn TSX using Varget and W748. Chronographed at 2530fps. As the TSX is much longer, powder compression was sever. That said I had no pressure signs and bolt lift and extraction was 1 finger easy. I've since switched to Swift A-Frames. With the shorter bullet powder compression is much less and accuracy is still outstanding. My PH in Namibia was shocked at how it preformed on the game I harvested on that trip. Enjoy, it's a grand round.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SavannahDo

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg