Why no love for the .358 Win?

Hmmm, Bob..I think this will be a "try before I buy" situation! I wonder how it would compare to my model 70 .375?

I consider these 2 different classes of cartridges. Depends on what performance one wants / needs.
Based on raw performance, I can toss out both by using a 375 Ruger or H&H.

The attractant to me is the short action in a lever gun, with respectable performance for up to 200 yard / meter shots. I would choose it or the 338 Federal over the other 308 Winchester brass based cartridges at those distances, for any game that a 308 Winchester is considered suitable for.
We all have our personal performance comfort zones. I think at those distances it would be great on game through caribou size.
I know it has worked well for some on elk, moose, and black bear & grizzly.
I can toss out everything mentioned in this thread and use my .338WM with 225gr Barnes TTSXs! AND, maybe put a muzzle brake on it for good measure! Ha! Ha! Ha!

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen
Out of 348 winchester, 35 whelen or 358 winchester which one you wish you owned and why.
Krish.
@krish
The 1871 348 because that is the first big deer cartridge I read about as a kid. The 348 could punch a hole from one end of a whitetail to the other. That really impressed a 10 year old along with the 425WR,404J, 308 Norma Magnum and the 7x61 Sharpe & Hart.
When I got older these were still out of my reach and I fell in love with the 35 Whelen and never regretted it.
Bob

I can toss out everything mentioned in this thread and use my .338WM with 225gr Barnes TTSXs! AND, maybe put a muzzle brake on it for good measure! Ha! Ha! Ha!
@CoElkHunter
Throw the 338 out as well. It's no use if you can't find the brass.
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
BOB

Hmmm, Bob..I think this will be a "try before I buy" situation! I wonder how it would compare to my model 70 .375?
@Tree-ratsniper
The model 70 375H&H is definitely a better round but when you load the Whelen to its FULL potential it's not that far behind the old girl. You can get upto 4,200fpe out of the Whelen with lighter projectiles and 4,000fpe with the 275s and 310s.
It s a great cartridge for ANY PG.
Bob

@CoElkHunter
Throw the 338 out as well. It's no use if you can't find the brass.
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
BOB
Or ANY factory ammo less than the cost of a box of .458 Lott or .416 Rigby! The .338WM is (maybe was now?) one of the top 5 elk cartridges here. And NOW you can't find almost ANYTHING (brass, ammo) for it! WTF! I believe the powers that be are pushing all of their proprietary .33 cartridges (.338 Federal, .33 Nosler, .338 RCM, .338 Lapua, .338 Marlin, etc.) and NEW rifles, at the expense of the .338WM. They can ALL KMA!

Or ANY factory ammo less than the cost of a box of .458 Lott or .416 Rigby! The .338WM is (maybe was now?) one of the top 5 elk cartridges here. And NOW you can't find almost ANYTHING (brass, ammo) for it! WTF! I believe the powers that be are pushing all of their proprietary .33 cartridges (.338 Federal, .33 Nosler, .338 RCM, .338 Lapua, .338 Marlin, etc.) and NEW rifles, at the expense of the .338WM. They can ALL KMA!
Are you out of 338 wm brass
Krish

Are you out of 338 wm brass
Krish
I have one 50 case bag of new Winchester I bought years ago and probably another 50 once fired cases. I also have a couple of partial boxes of factory ammo. I'm probably good for now, but my point being is WHERE is the .338WM stuff? It WAS as common to find as 7mmRM and .300WM and now it's MIA. What has happened?

Well i dont drink. So what is the excuse !
Krish
Oh, you said "people" were buying them? I didn't know it was you buying them. In your case, maybe it was due to a lack of sleep? LOL That's my problem working graveyards. I'm not here on AH or GB when I'm "punch drunk" from a lack of sleep. Bad things can happen! LOL

Another comparison. Apples to Oranges.
Not in the same powder capacity nor bullet weight class. Never intended to compete with each other.
A3A0D8C8-6877-4B33-9E86-66A455687156.jpeg

458 Lott, 404 grain Shock Hammer
358 Winchester, 203 grain Shock Hammer

@Tree-ratsniper
The model 70 375H&H is definitely a better round but when you load the Whelen to its FULL potential it's not that far behind the old girl. You can get upto 4,200fpe out of the Whelen with lighter projectiles and 4,000fpe with the 275s and 310s.
It s a great cartridge for ANY PG.
Bob
I actually meant the recoil of the 9.3x62 vs my .375 (which I don't find too bad). I'll probably end up with both at some point, as funds allow. :)

I actually meant the recoil of the 9.3x62 vs my .375 (which I don't find too bad). I'll probably end up with both at some point, as funds allow. :)
With my 9.3 weighing about 1 3/4lbs less than my 375, 286grn pill vs 300grn within 100fps of each other, the 9.3 still has slightly less recoil to me. Both are comfortable to shoot. Understand though felt recoil is very subjective to the individual. What is comfortable to some may loosen the fillings of others, LOL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg