Why is the 243 so popular in Europe?

I don't know when you lived there but German laws are very similar to the UK. The only real difference is that they are allowed handguns. They still require a license and must have that license ammended for new rifles. I'm not 100% but I don't think they have to justify each rifle mind.

I left a year ago and held a Jagdschein (German hunting license) All you need to buy a rifle (including buying online) is your license. After you buy it and take it home you then register the gun with the authorities. But you can take the rifle take home as soon as you buy it. There is no limit on the amount of riles/shotguns allowed. Yes, as a hunter we were allowed to have two handguns. Handguns must be added to your weapons registration card before you can take it home from the store.

Last edited:
The 243 is a great deer caliber. It's an inherently accurate cartridge with little recoil even with 100g bullets. It's popular in the Southwest as a mule deer cartridge too.

I have watched my far share of hunting videos on Youtube due to some circumstances beyond my control this winter.

I enjoy a youtube channel based in England called the Shooting show along with several others. Maybe it is just me but it seems like every Roe deer is shot with a .243. To my unscientific counting it seems to be the most common caliber used in Europe based on posted videos.

I would have thought more 6.5x55 or 7x57 would have been used.

Can any of the hunters across the pond comment on this? True or just a youtube anomaly?

I wondered the same actually
To me the 243 is a bit light for deer hunting but roe deer and fallow aren't all that big
I found that the 243 was probably the hardest cartridge to get good groups
I have had 2 243s but none anymore
I liked the 90 gn Speer w 44 gns AR2209/4350
243 is also a very mild recoiler so this might be a reason for a relatively small cartridge

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!