Why is Tanzania so expensive to hunt and is it worth it?

There are no two ways around it TZ is expensive. I guess my overall point is yes, it’s worth it.

If you can afford a long, full bag safari in Tanzania, I’d venture to say there is no better way to spend 3 weeks of your life.

If someone posts a request for a hunt in South Africa, Namibia or Zimbabwe (at least), there's usually a response within the hour. PM's are sent and offers of hunts abound.

Here we have a thread dealing with Tanzania, and only Tanzania. I said in an earlier post that I was contemplating a hunt in Tanzania, but was getting no responses to my emails sent through various operator's websites. A number of others suggested that in their experience, Tanzanian outfitters, or those with which they had dealt, were quite responsive. Others suggested that those outfitters who were sponsors of this site were also responsive.

Well, since the initial silence, I've had . . . wait for it . . . even more silence. Not one outfitter has seen fit to respond, and it's now been well over a month since I sent off the requests.

Gentlemen, if this is how you run your businesses, you are either doing very well indeed (so stop complaining), or if you aren't doing that well, you should perhaps look in a mirror to find the reason why. If you're out in the field hunting, you should perhaps consider having someone answer your emails so you don't lose potential business, or even have an automatic response to emails "I'm off hunting . . . will get back to you soon." But ignoring potential business? I wish I had that luxury.

Maybe it's the fact that this thread focuses on the cost of Tanzanian safaris, and perhaps this puts off Tanzanian outfitters. On the other hand, even a cursory look at the places I've hunted would tell you that I don't shy away from more expensive places. Well, so be it. The moment has passed. I'm looking elsewhere now.

Hank, I'll say it again. Call a REPUTABLE booking agent. There are plenty. Credible outfitters use credible booking agents.

A credible booking agent will not steer you wrong. They are vested in your success and enjoyment. They want you back.

I personally have never and will never use an outfitter who spends copious time on the internet. That alone should tell you something.

Yes. The lack of permanent structures has two impacts. One, outfitter costs are higher as they have to rebuild the entire camps each year and burn them at seasons’ end. The second thing is that it means your are in a fully tented, wild camp that lets you know just what Hemingway felt walking back to his tent at night....

I hunted in a "non-perminant" camp last year in far north-western TZ. The definition of non-perminat is pretty vague. We had concrete pads under the tents and the dining room.

Tanzania is on my bucket list. I am fortunate to have lived near and hunted true wilderness areas for much of my life. The most remote areas I have hunted in Africa have been in Botswana, Zambia and Mozambique. From what I have heard the remote concessions of Tanzania have to be experienced to be believed. One thing I haven’t seen mentioned on this post is the cost of operating this far off the grid. Everything costs at least double on a delivered basis. This is before you factor in the cost of a 2mm acre concession. I have a friend who built and operated a remote lodge on the Holitna river in Alaska. The cost of something as simple as repairing an outboard is incredible. You don’t offer an experience like that for the cost of a lodge someone can drive in to.

Hi to all participating in the discussion on TZ and cost...I see a lot of valid comments here and also a lot of misinterpretation of details and facts about hunting in Tanzania.

For 17 years I have hunted/operated/guided/outfitted/booked/PH'd (or a combination of those things!) in Mozambique, RSA, Tanzania, Botswana and Zimbabwe.

I understand Africa very well, it is all that I do for a living.
I am an American so I get how hunters can be confused in the operation of each country and the reason for the discussion, it is a valid topic. It is not easy for a client to decide 'what is what' when booking a hunt in Africa. I see many people chasing price or perception and end up with the wrong hunt...

I stated the above to add some credibility to what I am going to say below!

I would like to be able to discuss all of these comments/ideas in detail but there are too many topics thrown about (if anyone would like to get down to specific details or look into what will fit their Safari wishes or experience or budget then I am happy to help and talk about case by case issues, contact me directly please).

So here is the basics on Tanzania:
1. There is no better hunt in Africa... experience, trophy, stability or otherwise in 'Wild Africa' than what you can do in Tanzania. I have done many safaris in a lot of places and this rule of thumb holds true.
2. Tanzania will cost you a little more (a lot more with some) - but what you will receive is well worth it according to most all clients that have done it (so that says a lot about the hunting there). My hunts are in great areas and properly done without going overboard (my wine glasses are glass not crystal, my trucks are good but not brand new etc.). My safaris are priced on purpose to compete with the best of the best in other countries, then we let Tanzania overdeliver as it frequently does.
3. There is no way to compare a game farm operation to a Wilderness Safari Concession operated in conjunction with the government, so its best not to try. It is two separate world each with their own upsides, pit falls and costs; thus different approach and marketing program.
4. displaying of the safari cost or the decision not to can be for many reasons.
Here are my reasons:
These are not cookie cutter hunts and I like to discuss details, then quote exactly what the customer requests. More efficient use of my time in everyway.
The regulations change year to year, the prices change and we are booking in advance so each safari is truly unique.
There is something to be said for privacy of my clients, myself, and the hunting community.
I like the chance to explain the system, the cost, and exactly how it works in TZ, no spread sheet that I can make could do this. I have seen the companies try to do this and the price sheet is 5 pages with charts and graphs...my job is to make this simple for my customers not give them math homework!
5. you may find TZ to be the best 'bargain' under many circumstances. TZ might not be for everyone...well I take that back, I cant remember hearing a client say they did NOT want a Hemmingway or Roosevelt type adventure while on Safari, so maybe TZ is for everyone!
Example: a first or second time hunter that wants to hunt the a few of the big five is far better to start this adventure with me in TZ. He will save money with better hunting results. On my "expensive TZ Leopard hunt" he will take his leopard (most important and in daylight hours), a buffalo or 2, many other Plains Game, then his choice of Sable or Roan / Croc and hippo. The success rate is unmatched so no repeat hunts under pressure due to poor success on animals. He can get all this in the same country, same area on the same trip. The trophy quality is great, the experience is great, in the long run he will save on flight, shipping and time away from home as this will be done in one good hunt instead of 2 or 3 separate safaris.
6. your money is well placed is well placed in Tanzania - it goes towards the protection of vast amounts of habitat that needs your support. No system in Africa is without its problems but I feel TZ is a very good use of your dollars as a hunting conservationist; it is stable and they are trying to do the right thing by the land and they support hunting on the international front. We are doing good things over there and your support is appreciated.
Check my Instagram for an extensive post on the amount of land protected by hunters in TZ - very interesting stuff.

The best will never be the cheapest. I know what the going rate in each country is, I know what the hunting is like; and I know if you are looking for a big game hunt in the wild and you get with the right outfit, then Tanzania is really a good if not the best choice.

Lion Leopard Buffalo taken on 1 safari in Tanzania.
Not pictured but also taken: Sable, Oribi, EA Kudu, L. Hartebeest, Bushbuck, impalas, Zebras,

IMG_0625 (1).JPG
IMG_0631.JPG
P7221407.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Lion Leopard Buffalo taken on 1 safari in Tanzania.
Not pictured but also taken: Sable, Oribi, EA Kudu, L. Hartebeest, Bushbuck, impalas, Zebras,
Very nice indeed.

As my German friends say, “eines tages.”

Thanks!

One day?
Or
Once apon a time?
Herewith the grammar lesson!

It’s an unusual (for English) construction, because “one day” in German is usually “ein tag.” But when you are referring to an indefinite future time, German uses the genitive case, which English doesn’t have, and instead of ein tag you have eines tages. So if I knew the day, it would be the former, but since I’m hoping that I will get there one day, but I don’t know when, it’s the lattter.

Perhaps some of our German members could correct me if I got any of that wrong? I’m some many decades from university German!

Sorry you asked?

Herewith the grammar lesson!

It’s an unusual (for English) construction, because “one day” in German is usually “ein tag.” But when you are referring to an indefinite future time, German uses the genitive case, which English doesn’t have, and instead of ein tag you have eines tages. So if I knew the day, it would be the former, but since I’m hoping that I will get there one day, but I don’t know when, it’s the lattter.

Perhaps some of our German members could correct me if I got any of that wrong? I’m some many decades from university German!

Sorry you asked?

I like it! And I think you're 100% correct.

So would that be Siku Moja in Kiswahili?

I remember a time you could go there for $30,000 for 21 days, I think I was in my 20's and I remember thinking there is no way I am ever going to get to do that.

$30,000 isn't a lot of money to me now, but $100,000 for that same 21 days is.

I don't see me doing it.

The value in a 10 day Masailand plainsgame safari would be about $30,000-40,000 if you shot everything on license.

Northern Mozambique has the same species as the Selous, this is a better option.

Uganda has some similar species this is a better option.

Zambia has some really exotic species, this is a better option.

Zimbabwe, Zambia and Mozambique have professional hunters that can get you all your dangerous 6 species for 40-50% discount over Tanzania.

If I could afford it, and it didn't hurt our family I'd do it. I doubt that it will happen.

A friend has had multiple diplomatic postings to Dar es Salam. He has hunted Masailand on a residents permit.

In terms of value.... RSA & Namibia is where it’s at.... the more remote &/or exotic places, more “wild”, less controlled per se... prices go up for various & sundry reasons.
I found that Botswana is a hidden gem. Unbelievable number of animals. i'm heading back in June for a cull hunt- 10 days all inclusive for 20 animals per hunter so cheap you might faint, 50% more than the R/T airfare. PM me if you want details.

Hi to all participating in the discussion on TZ and cost...I see a lot of valid comments here and also a lot of misinterpretation of details and facts about hunting in Tanzania.

For 17 years I have hunted/operated/guided/outfitted/booked/PH'd (or a combination of those things!) in Mozambique, RSA, Tanzania, Botswana and Zimbabwe.

I understand Africa very well, it is all that I do for a living.
I am an American so I get how hunters can be confused in the operation of each country and the reason for the discussion, it is a valid topic. It is not easy for a client to decide 'what is what' when booking a hunt in Africa. I see many people chasing price or perception and end up with the wrong hunt...

I stated the above to add some credibility to what I am going to say below!

I would like to be able to discuss all of these comments/ideas in detail but there are too many topics thrown about (if anyone would like to get down to specific details or look into what will fit their Safari wishes or experience or budget then I am happy to help and talk about case by case issues, contact me directly please).

So here is the basics on Tanzania:
1. There is no better hunt in Africa... experience, trophy, stability or otherwise in 'Wild Africa' than what you can do in Tanzania. I have done many safaris in a lot of places and this rule of thumb holds true.
2. Tanzania will cost you a little more (a lot more with some) - but what you will receive is well worth it according to most all clients that have done it (so that says a lot about the hunting there). My hunts are in great areas and properly done without going overboard (my wine glasses are glass not crystal, my trucks are good but not brand new etc.). My safaris are priced on purpose to compete with the best of the best in other countries, then we let Tanzania overdeliver as it frequently does.
3. There is no way to compare a game farm operation to a Wilderness Safari Concession operated in conjunction with the government, so its best not to try. It is two separate world each with their own upsides, pit falls and costs; thus different approach and marketing program.
4. displaying of the safari cost or the decision not to can be for many reasons.
Here are my reasons:
These are not cookie cutter hunts and I like to discuss details, then quote exactly what the customer requests. More efficient use of my time in everyway.
The regulations change year to year, the prices change and we are booking in advance so each safari is truly unique.
There is something to be said for privacy of my clients, myself, and the hunting community.
I like the chance to explain the system, the cost, and exactly how it works in TZ, no spread sheet that I can make could do this. I have seen the companies try to do this and the price sheet is 5 pages with charts and graphs...my job is to make this simple for my customers not give them math homework!
5. you may find TZ to be the best 'bargain' under many circumstances. TZ might not be for everyone...well I take that back, I cant remember hearing a client say they did NOT want a Hemmingway or Roosevelt type adventure while on Safari, so maybe TZ is for everyone!
Example: a first or second time hunter that wants to hunt the a few of the big five is far better to start this adventure with me in TZ. He will save money with better hunting results. On my "expensive TZ Leopard hunt" he will take his leopard (most important and in daylight hours), a buffalo or 2, many other Plains Game, then his choice of Sable or Roan / Croc and hippo. The success rate is unmatched so no repeat hunts under pressure due to poor success on animals. He can get all this in the same country, same area on the same trip. The trophy quality is great, the experience is great, in the long run he will save on flight, shipping and time away from home as this will be done in one good hunt instead of 2 or 3 separate safaris.
6. your money is well placed is well placed in Tanzania - it goes towards the protection of vast amounts of habitat that needs your support. No system in Africa is without its problems but I feel TZ is a very good use of your dollars as a hunting conservationist; it is stable and they are trying to do the right thing by the land and they support hunting on the international front. We are doing good things over there and your support is appreciated.
Check my Instagram for an extensive post on the amount of land protected by hunters in TZ - very interesting stuff.

The best will never be the cheapest. I know what the going rate in each country is, I know what the hunting is like; and I know if you are looking for a big game hunt in the wild and you get with the right outfit, then Tanzania is really a good if not the best choice.

I was with Nathan in Tanzania in October of 2020. I don’t think you can find a more remote and wild place than where we were. And the quantity of game was amazing. Nathan’s area is how I imagine it was a hundred years ago and some of the best hunting memories of my life so far! Excited to go back!

When it is necessary to chase wildlife off a remote bumpy, dirt strip to land your small charter plane in the middle of nowhere then drive a distance to a tented camp you may be in Tanzania. Or drive ten hours to the same camp.
Africa is a huge continent. I have been lucky to have hunted most of it and enjoyed it all. Each country has it differences and have enjoyed all of it. If you can dig up the money, go to Tanzania. It has many fantastic areas. Maasai Land, Maswa, Ugalla, Selous, Lake Rukwa, Lake Burigi, Lake Natron, and on and on each a bit different but all wonderful tented camps with animals prowling at night..

I was with Nathan in Tanzania in October of 2020. I don’t think you can find a more remote and wild place than where we were. And the quantity of game was amazing. Nathan’s area is how I imagine it was a hundred years ago and some of the best hunting memories of my life so far! Excited to go back!
Damn near a perfect hunt! Except for the lion and the water bottle...that deal pissed me off a little.

My own view, everything is cheap what can be bought for money.
But, simply put, some things, I can not afford.

Damn near a perfect hunt! Except for the lion and the water bottle...that deal pissed me off a little.
What an experience, something I will never forget.

I really think we would have gotten a shot at Jack if the lions wouldn't have interfered that morning. He was consistent every morning in daylight!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg