Why are Weatherby guns in 375+ calibers not liked on a Safari?

Actually the 375 Weatherby is bassicly a 375 H&H Improved with a slight increase in velocity. Then they came out with the .378 Weatherby that is a lot more powerful than the 375 H&H or the 375 Weatherby.

I have never had any experience with shooting WM's in the heat of Africa but I'm sure a lot of hunters have heard of the problems of high pressure loads in the heat of Africa and the bolt failing to open after the initial or subsequent shots were taken. Just from what I have read about PH Proficiency Exam results and the reviews of various bolt action DG firearms. These reports can probably affect the opinions of some PH's.

I think that for Africa, main rule applies:: availability and price of ammuniton.
If weatherby calibers fail in that respect, than common vannila calibers will thrive in the eyes of locals..

In my opinion, if you want more than a 375HH gives you at <100yards, the answer is to go to something bigger, not to drive the 375 bullet faster. Driving the bullet faster than say 2600fps has utility for use at range, not for up close. Again, my post opens by discussing the utility of the added velocity of the Weatherby cartridges.

I know of a guy that swears by a .375/400 wildcat (think 375 RUM ballistics) that has shot hundreds of buffalo in addition to all of the other Big Five (multiple) times that thinks a 300 grain bullet at 3K+ ft/s is the answer for all DG. Close and far. As a result he doesn't think a bigger caliber is needed, just good bullet placement.

Can't argue with his results going back 30 years, he makes a month long Tanzania trip every year and will shoot a dozen or so buffalo in addition to other DG.

Personally though, I still like my bigger bores. ;)

Can't argue with those results!

At the end of the day, a bullet that puts a hole in something important is going to do the job. As long as the bullet is up to the task, the extra velocity isn't going to hurt. I'm not sure it is going to help, but it sure isn't going to hurt. Like you, I like a big bore.

In support of Bert The Turtle. At least his last statement. When I decided to fulfill a boyhood dream, go to Africa and hunt a Cape Buffalo I started our seriously how to go about the endeavor without getting myself or someone else killed or serious injured. Also without seriously embarrassing myself if possible!

One of the best moves I

Sorry sausage thumbs! I was going to say one of the best moves I made was to purchase and read Kevin Robertson’s, Africa’s Most Dangerous, and his The Perfect Shot. One of Robertson’s statement was that the difference between shooting a Buff with a .375 H&H and with a 416 Rigby was “noticeable”.

That’s what made me take the time to learn and become proficient with a rifle with more expensive ammunition and more recoil. My outfit was a RSM in 416 Rigby with a Swarzski 1x6 scope firing Federal Safari ammo with 400 gr Swift A Frames.

My Buff went down with a single neck shoot at about 100 yards.

I don’t know if he would have been any less dead with a 375 or not. Moot point.

I do think Robert Ruark’s statement of Use Enough Gun does apply.

I think the rap on Weatherby owners for a while was deserved.Well heeled gentlemen who did not shoot much but wanted to be part of the Weatherby elite! Yes no PH wants to be around a muzzle break.Fast forward,Weatherby moved from California to Sheridan,Wyoming.Adam Weatherby grandson to Roy has taken over the reins.Ive spoken to him at some of the shows.He‘s really a down to earth guy.Yes they still like em fast.Thats their deal But take a look at their BackCountry Rifle in steel or titanium.6 1/4 pounds and it shoots lights out.They do have some shiny stocks from yester year but it is a completely new company with innovation on calibers and guns for today’s hard core hunter.its a great American success story.

I have a Rem XCR II (stainless/synthetic TriNyte coated) in 375 Weatherby that weighs 71/2 lbs with scope unloaded. It has a Sako extractor, I had the bolt welded on to ward off the Internet demons, it's a tack driver and recoil is surprisingly mild. I shoot 300g A-Frames at 2700 fps and 350g Woodleigh HDs at 2550. It kills what I point at it. I bought it for Alaska, not Africa and it did the job admirably. I have my CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery for Africa when the time comes, though I have no doubt the Rem XCR II in 375 Weatherby would do the job.

Here's a 9' brown bear I shot at 13 yards, close enough I could see blood spurt from the entrance hole before the rifle's recoil took effect.

Jmbotrd.jpg

Attachments

• Jmbotrd.jpg
    Jmbotrd.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 104
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry sausage thumbs! I was going to say one of the best moves I made was to purchase and read Kevin Robertson’s, Africa’s Most Dangerous, and his The Perfect Shot. One of Robertson’s statement was that the difference between shooting a Buff with a .375 H&H and with a 416 Rigby was “noticeable”.

That’s what made me take the time to learn and become proficient with a rifle with more expensive ammunition and more recoil. My outfit was a RSM in 416 Rigby with a Swarzski 1x6 scope firing Federal Safari ammo with 400 gr Swift A Frames.

My Buff went down with a single neck shoot at about 100 yards.

I don’t know if he would have been any less dead with a 375 or not. Moot point.

I do think Robert Ruark’s statement of Use Enough Gun does apply.
My experiences are that a 300 gr bullet from a .375 is plenty enough gun. I own a .404, 500-416, and .470 and am very proficient with each. Somehow, the versatility of the .375 on a mixed bag safari always seems to win hands down at packing time. I should add that I tend to travel pretty light and hate bringing two different rifles.

We are a diverse group, and we all have very, very different opinions on what we like. I am one of those guys who likes Weatherby rifles and their calibers. I didn't buy them because of their "killing" power, I bought them because as a kid I always drooled over the Mark V deluxe ads, and like their stocks. Do I know the differences in quality between other manufacturers, you bet I do. Do I notice the beauty between other manufacturers of a well made rifle, you bet I do. I don't say the Weatherbys I have are the best, but to me the rifles I have, I have them because I always wanted one. I don't have anything over 300, because I know my recoil limit, but I have every caliber from 300 Wby to the 240 Wby. I don't own a 224 because they are outrageously expensive. Call me what you want, but I don't go calling out people because they like doubles, or they like their Blazer, Winchesters, CZs, or their H&Hs. We all have different tastes, and that is the beauty of it, and we can buy what WE want.

I believe you are getting a lot of rifle for the prices a new Weatherby, and not all Deluxe are $4000 rifles either. The used market is great for those who want to get a Weatherby for 1/2 the price. Some shooters don't understand or know how to clean Weatherby rifles, and when they shoot too fast/too much, and see the accuracy go south, the rifle sucks and goes for sale.

We like to stereotype, and put everyone in the same group. But let me tell you, I belong to the Weatherby Nation forum, and those guys are your average Joe, hard working Americans, who work hard for their paychecks and like Weatherbys. Not all Weatherby owners are obnoxious, rich, and believe that the Weatherby calibers are the best.

I like Weatherby & Ruger No. 1 rifles, I believe they are sexy and classy rifles. Maybe I need glasses. :cool::LOL::LOL: Unfortunately I am one of those who do not like where Weatherby is heading to, with almost all their inventory have synthetic stock, and only a handful of them have wooden stocks.

We are a diverse group, and we all have very, very different opinions on what we like. I am one of those guys who likes Weatherby rifles and their calibers. I didn't buy them because of their "killing" power, I bought them because as a kid I always drooled over the Mark V deluxe ads, and like their stocks. Do I know the differences in quality between other manufacturers, you bet I do. Do I notice the beauty between other manufacturers of a well made rifle, you bet I do. I don't say the Weatherbys I have are the best, but to me the rifles I have, I have them because I always wanted one. I don't have anything over 300, because I know my recoil limit, but I have every caliber from 300 Wby to the 240 Wby. I don't own a 224 because they are outrageously expensive. Call me what you want, but I don't go calling out people because they like doubles, or they like their Blazer, Winchesters, CZs, or their H&Hs. We all have different tastes, and that is the beauty of it, and we can buy what WE want.

I believe you are getting a lot of rifle for the prices a new Weatherby, and not all Deluxe are $4000 rifles either. The used market is great for those who want to get a Weatherby for 1/2 the price. Some shooters don't understand or know how to clean Weatherby rifles, and when they shoot too fast/too much, and see the accuracy go south, the rifle sucks and goes for sale.

We like to stereotype, and put everyone in the same group. But let me tell you, I belong to the Weatherby Nation forum, and those guys are your average Joe, hard working Americans, who work hard for their paychecks and like Weatherbys. Not all Weatherby owners are obnoxious, rich, and believe that the Weatherby calibers are the best.

I like Weatherby & Ruger No. 1 rifles, I believe they are sexy and classy rifles. Maybe I need glasses. :cool::LOL::LOL: Unfortunately I am one of those who do not like where Weatherby is heading to, with almost all their inventory have synthetic stock, and only a handful of them have wooden stocks.
I am not a fan of the old California Style, but the .300 Wby may indeed be the most versatile and user friendly 30 magnum extant. And I say that as a win mag fan. The .257 is perhaps the best open country deer cartridge in my gun room - said by someone who owns 4 .270’s.

I am not a fan of the old California Style, but the .300 Wby may indeed be the most versatile and user friendly 30 magnum extant. And I say that as a win mag fan. The .257 is perhaps the best open country deer cartridge in my gun room - said by someone who owns 4 .270’s.
Sounds like someone needs to open their gun room to the classifieds. ;)

I’m like the PHs. Muzzle blast is painful or damaging.

When I pulled out my .340 Weatherby to sight it in on the bench in SA I saw the look on my PH's face and him almost saying "here is another one" It had the removable muzzle brake on it.

I took a couple of shots to make sure of the zero and then calmly unscrewed the brake off of the barrel and place the thread protector on. You could almost see the relief in his face when I did that.

Later we were talking and I told him that from a bench that rifle is a brute and I didn't like extra punishment. But that I never hunted with the brake on.

Sounds like someone needs to open their gun room to the classifieds. ;)
My name is not TOBY458. But at my age, you might keep an eye out for the estate sales. :confused:

@JimP does your rifle shoot the same POI with the brake on and off? That is some nice machining!

@JimP does your rifle shoot the same POI with the brake on and off? That is some nice machining!
I have never really compared it except for checking the zero on hunts and it is close enough that I don't compare them.

The only time that I use the brake is when I was developing a load. All final sightings in was done with the brake off.

One of these days I'll have to do it at my zero range of 250 yards, but I don't believe that there will be much difference

We get a number of 'big guns' at our club range, like the 577's 600's, and so on. The other day I experienced the blast from a 378WM with a muzzle recoil suppressor and it was another level all together. Not pleasant to be anywhere near that beast!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpatnners

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,