Who's perfectly content with their firearm collection?

This is quite an excellent question , Russ
. Let us assess it in length .

I personally own 3 fire arms , myself .
FB_IMG_1575727193927.jpg
My " Old Belgian " 12 Bore double barreled side by side shot gun .
IMG_20191208_001645_01.jpg

My Austrian Voere brand .22 Long Rifle calibre semi automatic rifle .
IMG_20191207_175344.jpg

My German Wischo brand 12 Bore semi automatic shot gun .

I have been using my " Old Belgian " extensively since 1959 . Until 1996 ... it served all of my hunting purposes exclusively and never left anything to be desired ( It used to be the only privately owned fire arm which I possessed , until 1996 ) . I use it regularly to shoot game for the pot , hunt dangerous game and practice target shooting. Even now , it practically serves ALL of my shikar requirements . During my 10 year career as a professional shikaree ... it was also the fire arm with which I would back up my clients , while guiding them for shikar in India .

I acquired my Voere brand .22 Long Rifle calibre semi automatic rifle in 1996 . Not because I NEEDED it ... but because I WANTED it . I use it for shooting hares , doves and pigeons on bait at times ... when I want to hunt them in a bit more challenging way , than by using my " Old Belgian " shot gun . Also , I often hunt on countless private properties through out the year ( alongside forested areas ) . In some private properties in Bangladesh ... land owners often get disturbed by the loud noise of 12 Bore shot gun blasts ( especially ... during the times when we hunt game at night , over torch light ) . The .22 Long Rifle calibre rifle comes extremely handy ... during these situations . There is practically no noise , whatsoever .

The German Wischo brand 12 Bore semi automatic shot gun was actually gifted to me by my dearly deceased friend , the late Tobin Stakkatz ( who also used to be my professional shikaree partner ) in 2003 . I keep it as a momento of old Tobin and I frequently loan this fire arm to my foreign friends who visit Bangladesh for shikar ( if they do not bring their own fire arms ) . I have occasionally used it myself , but this was mostly for recreational purposes and not for any actual , serious hunting . I use it to test various brands of shot gun cartridges ( such as Brenekke Black Magic Slugs , steel shot water fowl cartridges or various buck shot cartridges ) . Very occasionally , it will see use on cheetal deer , kakar deer , wild boars , Asian Sloth Bears , foxes , water fowl or jungle fowl . However , this is mostly a case of me simply finding a way to put this shot gun to some actual use .

The " Old Belgian " has been doing it all for me since the last 61 years . The Voere makes for quite a handy supplement . The Wischo remains ... simply because :
> It is a momento of old Tobin .
> My foreign friends use it regularly
> I happen to adore fire arms .

Now ... Do I intend to expand my armaments ? Well ... OF COURSE , I DO ! Why ? Because I love fire arms and hunting .

I am certainly open to the idea of purchasing a Zastava Model 70 bolt rifle chambered in 7 × 57 mm Mauser calibre , some day . Those rifles look excellent .

By the way , Russ ... I have always been meanimg to ask you 1 thing . I have heard that the stocks and the barrels of the Zastava Model 70 bolt rifles ( Which are chambered in the .458 Winchester magnum calibre ) are a little too light for the .458 Winchester magnum calibre ... and thus , most operators tend to replace the stocks and barrels of these rifles . Is this true ?

Content? Yes. Finished? Unlikely.

In the past I've bought, sold and traded a lot of guns but it's slowed down quite a bit in recent years. As I've gotten older I know what I like and I can distinguish between wants, needs and distractions. These days I own a few obligatory defensive/tactical rifles and handguns but the majority of my collection revolves around hunting, single action revolvers, and 1911s. I'm partial to old school calibers and generally eschew the latest caliber du jour. No 6.5CM, WSM or AI for me thank you very much. I'm also an inconsistent hypocrite because I really like my 375 Ruger rifle and 10mm handguns.

About the only gap in my collection is a big bore rifle chambered in something beginning with a 4. I want something a little out of the ordinary. Probably something with the word Rigby or Jeffery in it. I'd dearly like a CZ550 404J but in all honestly I have no need for it. I doubt I'll ever get the opportunity to hunt anything bigger than Cape Buffalo and if I get the chance to hunt one of them my AHR CZ375H&H will work just fine. I can't justify the expense of having a 404J built. I could rationalize a store bought CZ550 416 Rigby though. It's just as unnecessary as the 404J but a whole lot less expensive than a custom rifle.

Even though I'm content for now I know with absolute certainty I'll eventually run across something I can't live without. When I do I'll add it to my stash.

A very good attitude to hunting in africa !

Don't do it like me and buy too much big bores. A practical big bore rifle is nowadays a rifle caliber 416 , unless you want to hunt elephants regularly. I took me over 20 years to determine that !:)

Choose well , especially if you are by laws limited by the number of rifles.

At the moment my mind is set on another 2 rifles, a 338 win mag and a 404 Jeffery. My dream, if I am spared, would be to hunt a nice old dagga boy with a 404 Jeffery but that is way off in the future. I have been invited back to one of the farms I shot on last time to try for an Eland, I am sure the 30-06 with the right bullet would do but I would rather have something bigger like the 338 win mag.

I'm pretty happy with my collection of both rifles and Pistols but I'm still looking for a 300HH and a certain S&W 40 cal
I solved my 40Cal Problem this morning with the purchase of a real sweet S&W 4006

At the moment my mind is set on another 2 rifles, a 338 win mag and a 404 Jeffery. My dream, if I am spared, would be to hunt a nice old dagga boy with a 404 Jeffery but that is way off in the future. I have been invited back to one of the farms I shot on last time to try for an Eland, I am sure the 30-06 with the right bullet would do but I would rather have something bigger like the 338 win mag.

A very good choice of a two rifle battery for hunting in Africa !

I am. I can count all mine on two hands and have left over fingers. This gives me everything I need for hunting and any other purpose I have plus a couple I just like without dust collecting safe queens.

I should be. I have an interesting collection of custom, vintage and current firearms. They cover every possible hunting scenario. However... I always seem to see something new to add to the collection. I think I need help!

I am very content with my main use rifles. But that took me decades to get there.
There are a couple of cartridges that I would like rifles in. But, I definitely do not have that focused urge to acquire them.

Poton, would you mind rationalizing your desire to Purchase a Zastava M70 over a BRNO or Winchester?
A simple matter of availability , Shootist43 . BRNO no longer manufactures the ZKK series .Winchester does not offer a 7×57 mm Mauser calibre variant of their majestic Model 70 bolt rifle ( at least ... not that I know of ) . Zastava , on the other hand ... does list that 7×57 mm Mauser calibre as an available offering for their Model 70 bolt rifle , at the moment.

A simple matter of availability , Shootist43 . BRNO no longer manufactures the ZKK series .Winchester does not offer a 7×57 mm Mauser calibre variant of their majestic Model 70 bolt rifle ( at least ... not that I know of ) . Zastava , on the other hand ... does list that 7×57 mm Mauser calibre as an available offering for their Model 70 bolt rifle , at the moment.

Major,
A number of us were lucky enough to pick up a limited run of Winchester M70’s in 7x57 a couple of years ago. They are absolutely outstanding rifles. They still pop up online from time to time.
WAB

Major,
A number of us were lucky enough to pick up a limited run of Winchester M70’s in 7x57 a couple of years ago. They are absolutely outstanding rifles. They still pop up online from time to time.
WAB
This is magnificent news , WAB !
I do know that the Remington Model 700 bolt rifles used to an offer a 7×57 mm Mauser calibre variant , for a while . Are you familiar with them ? I believe that Remington manufactured these in the 1990s or so ?

This is magnificent news , WAB !
I do know that the Remington Model 700 bolt rifles used to an offer a 7×57 mm Mauser calibre variant , for a while . Are you familiar with them ? I believe that Remington manufactured these in the 1990s or so ?

I am familiar with them. When I lived in WY a friend had one, while I had a M-70 in 7x57. We had quite spirited debates on their relative merits, but the truth is, they are both quality firearms.

I am very happy with my collection, especially after recently adding a John Rigby 416 Big Game and a Beretta SL3 20 gauge. I would like to add another double rifle in 450/400.
And, I guess you can never have too many shotguns.

I think I am pretty much done. I can hunt anything on the planet with a perfectly balanced caliber and rifle- vintage or modern - and that was before I was bitten hard by the Blaser bug. I did recently add a Daniel Defense DDM4 V7P in 5.56 as my new “repel boarders” weapon. I have it kitted up with a 2 MOA Aimpoint, light, and eventually the suppressor will get here. It is a pretty awesome little carbine kind of thing. And God bless Texas. I’ll retire my Steyr Scout from that primary duty.

A few of these treasures will go to my son, and my spouse will do very well at auction with the remainder.

33 handguns,1 double rifle,im covered on mice to T rex.one very happy camper,oops,shooter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg