Who likes the 7X57

Great chambering. If I didn’t have a 7x64 I’d probably have one

I have one of the little ruger Africans 275 rigby. Lovely little rifle. Of course I wish I had a real rigby, but this will have to do. Only took it hunting one time, and shot a doe with it. It’s been in the safe ever since, except for load development. I plan on it being my daughters first rifle most likely.

I have one of the little ruger Africans 275 rigby. Lovely little rifle. Of course I wish I had a real rigby, but this will have to do. Only took it hunting one time, and shot a doe with it. It’s been in the safe ever since, except for load development. I plan on it being my daughters first rifle most likely.
Your Daughter won't mind you using it in the meantime

The Rigby scores this afternoon.....

20211119_172635.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What I have is a Remington Classic in 7x57 Mauser. Loading for it can be tricky as most loads shown are 45,000 max. It can go higher, but really why in most cases, why try and make a 7x57 Mauser a 280 Remington?

Anyway, with the lack of components I had to fish up a non book load. I used Alliant R-17 in place of IMR 4350. Basically a 1/1 load from an older book instead of one that is cut down further. My load is 46.8 grains behind a Winchester 150 grain PP. I looking at 2600-2650 with that load, haven't shot it over the Chrony yet.

I basically built the rifle up for my 15.5 year old nephew. Now that I find that he is not applying himself in school and is failing several classes it gets to stay in my safe. Stays there until he gets his act straight! I would trade that rifle for one in 7mm-08 just because he can find ammo easier. But it would have to be a like rifle.

"7x57 kills out of all proportion to its size and DOESN'T KICK. It should always take the place of a 243 and can do lots more."

Agree 100%

Country I think those Remington Classics were the nicest rifles that Remington made since I've been on this earth. And yes why make the good old 7×57 into anything else? It has proven itself for way over a century now.

Last edited:
Thank you sir. Yes it definitely begs for a proper restoration.

Reactions: WAB
Thank you sir. Yes it definitely begs for a proper restoration.
With the previous owner's and your history embedded in that rifle and with it being in such great shape, I respectfully disagree. It should be left as is. :)

But nothing wrong with breathing a new life into an old rifle. Either way she will remain a beauty.

Thanks for the kind words.
Well it's already been refinished (in England according to the seller I bought it from) at one time hence the glossy blueing, so a proper rust blue would only make it look right plus not reflect sunlight as bad.

Thanks for the kind words.
Well it's already been refinished (in England according to the seller I bought it from) at one time hence the glossy blueing, so a proper rust blue would only make it look right plus not reflect sunlight as bad.
I think I’ve read somewhere (here maybe) that refinishing of working guns was a common service by the big English makers for their clients in Africa. Send it in and have it repaired/checked out as needed with refinishing if necessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg