Who likes the 7X57

To me the neat thing about the 7x57 cartridge is its design. Fits easily in most standard length actions- no shoehorning required, even with long bullets. And it has just enough body taper for reliable extraction. Other than that it is what it is- a rather mild, easy to load for and live with 7mm cartridge.
The only rifle I have now in 7x57 is this very pristine, unmolested M1895 Chilean- Loewe, Berlin.

M1895 Chilean Mauser.jpg

Hi fourfive8,

Yes! By the way, when the Turks requested a special Mauser 98 with an action designed around their (and our) 7,65x53, the factory made the great Intermediate Mauser Action. An action so ideal to fit the 7x57 that Mauser used it to make their fabulous Original Sporting Mauser rifles almost exclusively. Many of the barreled actions went to Rigby and the rest is history.
Much less known, even by many Mauser experts, is the fact that more than a few of those Original Sporting Mausers were made in 7,65x53 for export to Argentina before and after the first WW! And most of them were marked "Turk 7,65" !
Best!

CF

I've always wanted to build a mountain type rifle in 7x57 use a 33/40 98 action. Seen a mannlicker stocked custom rifle in a shop one time in 8x57 but pretty beat up for $500 ish. I was interested but the shop wouldn't let me take it out of the wood to verify it was a real 33/40 and it's so condition.

I have box of old 175 partitions I need to load up someday. Over kill for here in N.Y. But what else am I going to use them for anyway. I've got about 100 old hornady 175 round nose I should load up for when I'm in the thick stuff.
I'm another fan of the 175gr Hornaday RN. finding them is hit & miss now. I am playing with the Horn. 175gr Spire PT.

While we are talking 7x57 which type of bullet do you prefer for hunting, the traditional 170 grain cup and core or a modern 140 grain bonded bullet.?

140 c&c bullets kill deer just fine, anything over 400lbs I'd step up to a 160 bonded if you need it.

At 7X57 velocities, the std cup & core preform beautifully. I really don't feel you need a premium bullet particularly if you're using 150gr & up. As I've said before, I like the 175gr bullets. The sectional density is very high & this indicates great penetration.

I use 139 Hornady SPIL for W/T deer. Back when I was pursuing elk, I used 150 Nosler partitions because I had them and found they worked very well.

I have always had a great amount of respect for the 7x57 even though I had never owned or used one until recently. I haven't hunted with this rifle yet but it really is easy on the shoulder. The 1904 Portuguese Mauser action doesn't give you many options for scope mounting but this rifle is growing on me.

View attachment 428505
Looks like something is growing.... on the end of the stock!

Prefer the 275 Rigby :A Hey:

I've not had the chance with mine yet - so can't comment on projectile weight. I've had good accuracy with 140gn Woodleighs.

I own two of them and love the calibre.

a 1948 vintage Brno Mod21 that I use with open sights and 175gr Stewart Hi Performers at 2400fps, and

a FN with a 3-9x40 Zeiss scope on, shooting 160gr Nosler Partitions at 2650fps.

I’m currently waiting for a single shot Daniel Fraser to come out of Swaziland to get my hands on…

View attachment 429602

View attachment 429604
Love that Brno!

Tintin, I have a Funny but true story.
Several years ago I was in a gun shop in Butte. There was a pretty Ruger #1 on the rack & I asked the young salesman to look at it. He handed it to me & as I looked at it I saw it was marked .275 Rigby. I didn't have the money for the rifle, but if he had a box of .275 Rigby I'd buy it. I asked if he had any .275 Rigby ammo. He said sadly no, I can sell the rifle, but we don't have any ammo to sell the buyer. I asked if he had any 7X57 ammo, he looked & said yes we have some of that. I said if you sell the rifle you can sell the buyer some 7X57 ammo because the only difference is the headstamp on the ctg. case. He looked at me kind of funny & said really? To this day, I don't know if he believed me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JannEarle

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois