Who is shooting their Ruger Hawkeye African .280 Ackley?

I thought some here had these rifles. I was curious about them as I read an article extolling the virtues of the round with the usual hyperbole, "almost as good as the 7 Rem mag, less powder, less recoil", etc.
Far as I can see it is very little more capable than the .280 Remington.

I bought one of the new Savage 110 Timberlines in 280AI (LH), but I've been waiting on brass to come in. Peterson is supposed to start rolling 280 AI brass the end of October.

I have a box of A Frame 160 gr and Oryx 156 gr. I fully expect 2900+ fps out of the Oryx, and 2800+ out of A Frame.

It's generally considered 100-200 fps faster than Remington, and handloads can be on par with or even outperform factory 7mm RM.

But.

That's all theory ATM, until I get my brass and can start LD. Going to use IMR 4831 for both bullets.

Nosler #9 shows 3100-3200 for 140 gr NAB and NP.

Nosler brass is around on Gunjoker, but pricey.
When I had a custom 24" Douglas .280 Rem on a Ruger 77 action I easily got 2900 fps with a 160 Nosler Part, over 3000 fps with a 150 gr, same with 145 Speers, and I could get near 3200 with 140's.
175's could be driven to about 2850 IIRC. I had a shooting buddy with a .280 AI and he couldnt quite match my speeds, pissed him no end as you can imagine!

Midway and Graf's I think both have Nosler Custom brass in stock, but ~$2 apiece.

And everything I've read, Peterson is better brass anyway.

I'm working on a deer load now for my 280AI and will be shooting tomorrow. I have a handful of 145 grain Grand Slams that Im playing with. It'll be my fall hunting load and then plinking. As much as anything I'm getting them off my reloading shelf and then will move on to developing a full time load with 160 grain bullets.

Let us know how it shoots.

I'm working on a deer load now for my 280AI and will be shooting tomorrow. I have a handful of 145 grain Grand Slams that Im playing with. It'll be my fall hunting load and then plinking. As much as anything I'm getting them off my reloading shelf and then will move on to developing a full time load with 160 grain bullets.
Haven't looked yet this morning, but as of yesterday, Midway has 156 gr Oryx in stock. swiftbullets.com shows 160 gr A Frames in stock.

And how are you finding them to shoot? Accurate? So so?
TIA
I bought one of the new Savage 110 Timberlines in 280AI (LH), but I've been waiting on brass to come in. Peterson is supposed to start rolling 280 AI brass the end of October.

I have a box of A Frame 160 gr and Oryx 156 gr. I fully expect 2900+ fps out of the Oryx, and 2800+ out of A Frame.

It's generally considered 100-200 fps faster than Remington, and handloads can be on par with or even outperform factory 7mm RM.

But.

That's all theory ATM, until I get my brass and can start LD. Going to use IMR 4831 for both bullets.

Keep us posted.
I have read heaps on the .280ai, a few members suggested it performs well.

Mine a .26" C/F barrel seems to have increased velocity second time I chronographed it. Tweaked the neck tension as best I can tell. Maybe 100 rounds down the tube . Notes are in the shed but I recall improvement.

Chrony is new to me too.

I read a great review on Petersen .280ai Brass, right after I recieved the Nosler stuff. At $3 a piece. Aussie $

Still thinking the .280ai is a good thing.

Does anyone use Hammer Bullets?

I have tried an Australian mono named Outer Edge, from my recollection they killed stuff dead.

I am hearing a lot about Hammer Bullets on another forum.

I have never used Hammer. Thought about it a lot. I imagine they're a lot like TSX

Being all copper, they're REALLY long for caliber. If you buy Hammer, make sure the twist rate is sufficient for the bullet you want. My Savage is a 9.5 twist. I could probably get away with shooting their 140 gr, but nothing heavier than that.

Twist is fast enough in my rifle to stabilize jacketed 175 gr jacketed bullets.

Last edited:

But.

You can always use .280 Rem and fire-form it. Likewise, you can use loaded .280 ammo when needed and it will fire-form as well.

You can always use .280 Rem and fire-form it. Likewise, you can use loaded .280 ammo when needed and it will fire-form as well.
I am aware, but fire forming 50 x 280 Rem is a big waste of powder and bullets, especially when both are so hard to come by. 7mm bullets are as scarce as everything else.

Regarding Hammer bullets, I just returned from Namibia and I used 166 gr Shock Hammer bullets in my 22" barrel .300 WSM. My 30 year old Chrony showed the MV at 3050 FPS. The bullets might have been going a bit higher velocity according to the drop from 100 to 200 yards. Powder was H4350. Bullet performance was outstanding. Could not have asked for better. All bullets punched all the way through the animals, including a big Eland with the exception of one bullet. The only bullet recovered was a follow-up Oryx shot from behind that went through about 2.5 feet of Oryx before it stopped. It performed exactly as advertised with the four petals shearing off and the bullet base traveling forward. Sgt Zim is correct - you need faster than normal twist barrels to stabilize since these are all copper, thus longer, bullets. Some hunters have found you can use lighter than normal Hammer bullets, but drive them at higher velocities. These bullets seem to "punch above their weight." It is now my new go-to bullet. I posted a Namibia trip report here yesterday with pictures of several of the animals. Best of luck with your loads.

@sestoppelman it looks like the rest of us inadvertently hijacked your thread. Sorry.

The good news is that I'm on my way out to shoot my 280AI for the second time today.

@sestoppelman it looks like the rest of us inadvertently hijacked your thread. Sorry.

The good news is that I'm on my way out to shoot my 280AI for the second time today.
No worries, its all good stuff. I just thought some of the members had bought the Ruger, maybe not.

What I had hoped to find out the most is how the RUGER .280 AI shoots.
Understood, but we digress when talking about our favourite cartridge.

As for the rifle. My take is that rifle should be as good as any other factory rifle in its class. The caveat, sometimes you get a bad one.and that could happen in any brand.
It's not their budget line. Even the budget line should hit minute of deer.

Seems no-one so far has that rifle chambered for that cartridge.

If you are a handloaded you may be able to select components to suit and tune the load to the rifle.

Well I dont have one yet, and may not, was just curious. I remember when they dropped that caliber and everyone was sort of flummoxed. Nothing African about it.
But I seem to recall a few that said they would get one anyway just to have it in the series of African models.
And of course I do handload.

I've had an on-going interest in the 280 AI for awhile, and also curious about the Ruger African version. Anything new on this front in the last few months, anyone?

guess not......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MollieTwop

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg