Who Are The Best Running Shots With A Rifle?

I cannot argue against Mr. Albrecht as he is an amazing running game shot. I wouldn’t go so far as to anoint all Germans as the best running game shots, at least not without some sort of competition. I know some pretty amazing shots here in America but they don’t have their own TV shows. Still I take nothing from Mr. Albrecht. I wish I had the opportunities to do driven hunts such as he.
Personally, I have no interest in shooting animals that are being terrorized by dogs, sometimes for hours. But that's just me. Yes, I hunt birds behind dogs but they are both pointers (even the Lab) which minimizes the chasing aspect. In some places and for some species running with dogs is about the only way the game can be harvested for proper management. Is what it is, but it is not for me.

Actually I’ve found it different for myself. I shot competitively at a very high level in sporting clays for many years. I find the fundamentals the same with a rifle. My focus is 110% on the target and I shoot with both eyes open. I am aware of where the crosshairs are but my focus is the target. I spent a lot of time on running jackrabbits. That probably helped a lot.
WAB, I feel like I could have written your post myself. I agree 100%. I guess for each of us it comes down to our personal experiences and how we became who we are when it comes to shooting. Personally, I love the shooting sports. Maybe, just maybe more than hunting...For me it all started with cottontails and a 22LR or a 20Ga. Have to say I find the sporting clay running rabbits very interesting too.

Reactions: WAB
WAB, I feel like I could have written your post myself. I agree 100%. I guess for each of us it comes down to our personal experiences and how we became who we are when it comes to shooting. Personally, I love the shooting sports. Maybe, just maybe more than hunting...For me it all started with cottontails and a 22LR or a 20Ga. Have to say I find the sporting clay running rabbits very interesting too.
Yeah. Nice thing about shooting skeet is I don't have to gut what I knock down. Not as much fun for the dogs though ... until I let them run after everyone has finished shooting. "Gotta be a cripple running around out there somewhere!" :D

I suspect @WAB and I shoot very similarly and for the same reasons.

Over the years, I have done a lot of competitive shooting with shotguns. The most challenging and enjoyable (and expensive :oops:) has been the pigeon ring. Over those years, I have also have had the privilege of participating in several European driven hunts ranging from rural drives primarily for hare, huns and pheasants to estate wild boar and pheasant shoots. Those targets have far more in common with a pigeon than a deliberate shot from the sticks at a kudu.

I do all my shooting with both eyes open - pistol, rifle, or shotgun - bench or field. The dominate eye acts as - well - the dominate eye. In my case, my left eye essentially subconsciously feeds information to my brain while the right eye focuses on the target. That is particularly important with respect to lead, distance, target speed and angle on a moving target. Pythagoras could explain it better than me.

Last edited:
I suspect @WAB and I shoot very similarly and for the same reasons.

Over the years, I have done a lot of competitive shooting with shotguns. The most challenging and enjoyable (and expensive :oops:) has been the pigeon ring. Over those years, I have also have had the privilege of participating in several European driven hunts ranging from rural drives primarily for hare, huns and pheasants to estate wild boar and pheasant shoots. Those targets have far more in common with a pigeon than a deliberate shot from the sticks at a kudu.

I do all my shooting with both eyes open - pistol, rifle, or shotgun - bench or field. The dominate eye acts as - well - the dominate eye. In my case, my left eye essentially subconsciously feeds information to my brain while the right eye focuses on the target. That is particularly important with respect to lead, distance, target speed and angle on a moving target. Pythagoras could explain it better than me.

Yep, and never try to outthink the built in computer between your ears. I always tell folks to get all the thinking out of the way before the shot. At the time of the shot, use your eyes and trust yourself, the gun will go where it is supposed to.

Would anyone say that the lack of a big black outter ring while viewing through a scope is a boon to shooting moving targets?

Would anyone say that the lack of a big black outter ring while viewing through a scope is a boon to shooting moving targets?

I’m not sure what you mean. If you shoot with both eyes open and focus hard on the target, awareness of the reticle is there but not dominant. Don’t know that I’ve ever noticed a ring?

If the eye relief is not correct on a typical scope, then there is a black ring. It's not supposed to be there. Big plus to a red dot is that it can't be there. Head position is not critical on a red dot, which is one of the reasons the military uses them in combat and the Wild Boar Fever guys use them on driven boar shoots.

I’m not sure what you mean. If you shoot with both eyes open and focus hard on the target, awareness of the reticle is there but not dominant. Don’t know that I’ve ever noticed a ring?
Some scopes look like you are looking at a framed picture--that is, there is a black margin between the image and the view just outside the eyebox. Other scopes looks like the view inside the scope merges straight onto the image outside the scope only sans magnification. No tunnel vision at all.

Yes. Scope at lowest power, close eyes, mount gun quickly, open eyes, and the crosshairs and total field of view should be in view. If there's a black ring in view, the gun doesn't fit. Fix it. Change eye relief, ring height, length of pull, or comb height as needed. Cosmetics are immaterial. If you want to shoot running game effectively, the gun/scope has to fit perfectly. Have I said that before? If you want to hunt with an ineffective work of art, buy a Picasso painting and throw it at the running buffalo ... one that's preferably running the other direction.

Some scopes look like you are looking at a framed picture--that is, there is a black margin between the image and the view just outside the eyebox. Other scopes looks like the view inside the scope merges straight onto the image outside the scope only sans magnification. No tunnel vision at all.

Hmmm, I’m pretty picky on scopes and I’m super picky on mounting them low and far enough back that eye relief is perfect when mounted quickly. I don’t know if that’s why I don’t notice a black margin?

Same here. I still have 20/20 vision for distance though need reading glasses. I can't see the front sight clearly without glasses. I took my handgun to my optometrist and we experimented with various magnifications where I see the front sight and the target behind it. A lot less magnification than my reading glasses which would have blurred the target. My shooting and hunting glasses have that magnification for the dominant eye and the lens for the other eye is clear. The brain adjusts.

I have aviator style for shotgun and a wraparound for pistol and rifle. I use https://huntershdgold.com/ to make the lenses and they adjust with light. The lenses are ballistic rated.

1693878663844.jpeg

This frame is from https://www.gatorz.com/ and I sent the frames for prescription lenses to be made and installed to Hunters HD Gold. I have their regular sunglasses (same frame) for daily use and driving during the day.
1693878801282.png

If the eye relief is not correct on a typical scope, then there is a black ring. It's not supposed to be there. Big plus to a red dot is that it can't be there. Head position is not critical on a red dot, which is one of the reasons the military uses them in combat and the Wild Boar Fever guys use them on driven boar shoots.
Yep, it doesn't matter where you mount the red dot on a rifle.

full

I just had JJ mount a Trijicon on my 500ne double. He told me that he is doing around 3 of those conversions EVERY week. He highly recommends them for middle aged eyes.

I just had JJ mount a Trijicon on my 500ne double. He told me that he is doing around 3 of those conversions EVERY week. He highly recommends them for middle aged eyes.
Green, Which red dot site did you get? RMR, RCR, RMR-HD or SRO? I struggling as to which but leaning toward the SRO on my Heym.

When shooting moving targets I prefer open sights but that’s because I grew up shooting irons.

Same here. I still have 20/20 vision for distance though need reading glasses. I can't see the front sight clearly without glasses. I took my handgun to my optometrist and we experimented with various magnifications where I see the front sight and the target behind it. A lot less magnification than my reading glasses which would have blurred the target. My shooting and hunting glasses have that magnification for the dominant eye and the lens for the other eye is clear. The brain adjusts.

I have aviator style for shotgun and a wraparound for pistol and rifle. I use https://huntershdgold.com/ to make the lenses and they adjust with light. The lenses are ballistic rated.

View attachment 555049

This frame is from https://www.gatorz.com/ and I sent the frames for prescription lenses to be made and installed to Hunters HD Gold. I have their regular sunglasses (same frame) for daily use and driving during the day.
View attachment 555050
I prefer glasses with nose pads for hunting (and for everyday use too). They allow the most ventilation between face and glasses which can be very important for preventing lens fogging in humid or cold conditions. Wraparounds or bridge nose pieces suck in those situations. In the old days of heavy glass lenses, nose pads could be uncomfortable. These days anyone who orders prescription glass lenses is nuts. Maybe they aren't even available anymore. Polycarbonate coated lenses is the only way to fly. They are thinner, lighter, tougher, and let more light through. And if you have to wear bifocals, don't order the skinny stylish frames, especially if shooting open sights. Get something with more glass to keep bifocal out of the way.

Incidentally, I have no trouble finding the express iron sights on my two rifles, as long as I look over my glasses. I don't see the front FireSight bead perfectly but well enough to shoot something fifty to hundred yards away. My distance vision was corrected to almost 20/20 when the lens was replaced in that eye (cataract surgery). If I look through bifocal I can see the iron sights perfectly ... but nothing else. Anyone try shooting express sights with graduated bifocals?

These Walmart frames work great and can't beat the price. In the past I ordered titanium frames but went with these spring loaded ones last time, about fifteen years ago I think. Curious thing about titanium frames is they become rather bendy in very cold temps. Almost spaghetti. Put them in my shirt pocket for a minute and they spring right back.
cold guy.JPG

Last edited:
I haven't had an issue with fogging etc. with my wraparound glasses. I have been hit with shrapnel during USPSA competitions from the bay next door in the past and have been glad I had side protection.

My shotgun glasses are not wraparound and are aviator style, so I do NOT end up looking over or split my vision with half with and half without the glasses or frame blocking the targets, especially when shooting pairs in sporting clays.

For me, as my eyes age shotgun is my best option if I'm shooting for more than say 15 minutes. For some reason my eyes start to blur even though my distance vision is 20/20. Even the crosshairs in my scopes start to blur. It drives me crazy! Pistol shooting, forget it and I really miss it. I have a ghost ring on my one double and that seems to work perfect since I don't have problems with the bead sight and the blurred ghost ring still frames the sight picture. First safari next year so we'll see how double works. I most likely will put a red dot on to be safe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GildaHarkn

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….