Whisky appreciation

I had Weller for the first time in a long long time, I forgot how good it was. I will definitely try to pick some up again if I can ever find it, lol.

Not much of a drinker but I found this while cleaning out a closet at my folks' house. The Jack is unopened, don't have anything to mix the Kahlua with, don't know about the rest.
KIMG0933.jpg

This weekend is Basil Hayden’s for me. Try it if you haven’t yet, it’s a little sweeter than Woodford, but not too much.

This weekend is Basil Hayden’s for me. Try it if you haven’t yet, it’s a little sweeter than Woodford, but not too much.
My wife picked up a bottle of Basil Hayden Subtle Smoke a few weeks ago...amazing.
1660940930900.png

Good Whiskey. Great taste.

I ran out of bourbon (sacrilege!), but got this instead :giggle:

View attachment 493296
It’s from my favorite distillery (to visit).
I've always been a fan of the peaty, smokey and sometimes medicinal flavors of these types whisky. Lagavulin 16 has been at the top of my shelf for some years now. And I can't have scrambled eggs on the weekend without Ardbeg, Laphroaig or Caol Ila to wash it down.

I like the new label on the Talisker bottle, although the old school one is nice as well.

I've always been a fan of the peaty, smokey and sometimes medicinal flavors of these types whisky. Lagavulin 16 has been at the top of my shelf for some years now. And I can't have scrambled eggs on the weekend without Ardbeg, Laphroaig or Caol Ila to wash it down.

I like the new label on the Talisker bottle, although the old school one is nice as well.
I like those over a bowl of oats (a wee bit)!

I bought a Coal Ila 7yr in Scotland that was like having a Mac truck run you over. Best peat bomb I ever had. That said, Lagavulin 16 is just an absolute perfect drink for a night in front of a fire.

I ran out of bourbon (sacrilege!), but got this instead :giggle:

View attachment 493296
It’s from my favorite distillery (to visit).

Bought an Oban 14 the other day due to slightly lighter peat (though both are no means heavy). We are going to scotland in a couple years. Oban and Talisker are on the short list due to location.

Off topic, but is Skye significantly better than Mull to spend a couple days at??? I'm starting to hear "tourist trap" type descriptions on Skye

The first time I tried peaty Scotch I hated it. It was Laphroaig 10. However, I had bought the bottle and didn't want to throw it away. So , I added a little splash here and there to some non peaty Scotch, thinking I'd drink it up that way. At the end of the bottle I was drinking Laphroaig by itself and loved it. Didn't take long at all to start liking the peat!

Bought an Oban 14 the other day due to slightly lighter peat (though both are no means heavy). We are going to scotland in a couple years. Oban and Talisker are on the short list due to location.

Off topic, but is Skye significantly better than Mull to spend a couple days at??? I'm starting to hear "tourist trap" type descriptions on Skye
Oban is a good port to go to the islands from, but it’s a tourist town. Kinda like any of our beach towns in the US. The distillery is fantastic, and the whisky shops are cool (it’s where I got the Coal Ila). Stay away from the Royal Hotel though (run down).

I was in Skye in 2017, and I will say that parts of it are touristy. However, it’s a big island, and there are great quiet spots on it. Lots to do and see, but the roads (like most of Scotland) are terrible and 1 lane.

Mull is a little less traveled, but I have heard great things. It’s across the water from Oban (you can see it), but you need a ferry to get there. Skye is drivable via the Kyle of Lochalsh. It just depends on what strikes your fancy; I can’t say that Skye is so much “better.” Just different.

Mull is on my list to go to next time around (and Tobermory Distillery). If you want something really different, go to Orkney (Highland Park & Scapa). They’re viking descendants like the Shetland bunch, but not so far away.

Slaìnte mhath (good luck).

Oban is a good port to go to the islands from, but it’s a tourist town. Kinda like any of our beach towns in the US. The distillery is fantastic, and the whisky shops are cool (it’s where I got the Coal Ila). Stay away from the Royal Hotel though (run down).

I was in Skye in 2017, and I will say that parts of it are touristy. However, it’s a big island, and there are great quiet spots on it. Lots to do and see, but the roads (like most of Scotland) are terrible and 1 lane.

Mull is a little less traveled, but I have heard great things. It’s across the water from Oban (you can see it), but you need a ferry to get there. Skye is drivable via the Kyle of Lochalsh. It just depends on what strikes your fancy; I can’t say that Skye is so much “better.” Just different.

Mull is on my list to go to next time around (and Tobermory Distillery). If you want something really different, go to Orkney (Highland Park & Scapa). They’re viking descendants like the Shetland bunch, but not so far away.

Slaìnte mhath (good luck).
Although I am half German (so much that my grandpa was given a desk job in the army during WW2), I can trace my last name with good detail all the way back to the 1300's extreme northeastern part of mainland Scotland. I would like to visit the ruins of the cemetery and castle, but I promised my wife I would take her to the stupid Harry Potter sites by Fort William...

The beauty of Scotch is that you can immerse yourself in the history. The flavours vary so much from distillery to distillery, worth doung a Scottish tour just for the Scotch. Mix in some stag and grouse shooting and you are in heaven.

Gents, I find myself in a whisk(e)y mood and I'm thinking that as today marks my 1 year anniversary in the US, I should really give quality bourbon a shot.

What would folks recommend to someone who has extensive experience with Scotch, but is basically a complete US whisky noob? Budget is negotiable, but maybe under $150 or so for a bottle.

Gents, I find myself in a whisk(e)y mood and I'm thinking that as today marks my 1 year anniversary in the US, I should really give quality bourbon a shot.

What would folks recommend to someone who has extensive experience with Scotch, but is basically a complete US whisky noob? Budget is negotiable, but maybe under $150 or so for a bottle.
Aultmore 12 Year or Aultmore 18 Year are my favorites. Not an easy find in most of the US
Aberlour 12 Year or Aberlour A'Bunadh are a close second in my book!

Congratulations on your first year!!!!

Aultmore 12 Year or Aultmore 18 Year are my favorites. Not an easy find in most of the US
Aberlour 12 Year or Aberlour A'Bunadh are a close second in my book!

Congratulations on your first year!!!!
Thanks!

I'm looking for US Whiskey though. Seems appropriate considering.

The A'Bunadh is excellent stuff. I have a bottle of that at home already!

Bourbon? Four Roses. Easy drinking.

Or, come for a visit, and I can take you around the distilleries for you to figure out your favorite ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg