Which rifle do we crown as the best looking ever?

After a lunchtime G&T in tropical Africa I have built up the courage to admit here that I dont like Mauser lines. Ok, let me finish before you start tearing me limb from lmb. It isn't the stock, especially in the latter day Rigby's, that looks good. It is that little rectangular block on the opposite side to the bolt, it looks so - inorganic and 'regular'.
Compare a Mauser and a Kimber Caprivi, up, down, left, right, front, back - no contest, the Kimber wins all the way.
Ok, commence ripping.

So it’s not just me...

HI Kevin,

I don´t understand what do you mean, or where is, "...that little rectangular block on the opposite side to the bolt, it looks so - inorganic and 'regular."

Best!

CF
The bolt release. I agree it is not exactly visually appealing. Even compared to the Mannlicher.

I like a nice working rifle myself. Looks like Tanks and I shared the same photography studio. 500 MDM

View attachment 393453

Here is my .500 MDM as well, Bastogne walnut stock. Africa weather did not impact it while I took elephants with it. Accurate Innovations does good stock work.

500MDM Rifle.jpg

Just one hunters opinion I have never seen a gun that a scope made it look better aestetically. Functionality is a different set of criteria. I have a 101 year old Remington model 14 that is far from pretty but it just looks like a hunters rifle. But not a rifle for consideration on an African hunting forum. CZ makes one of the better African hunting rifle but again it is not in the running for best looking. Again in this hunters opinion only.

I was thinking something similar to these from Wesley Richards for my 65th birthday coming up prior to Covid changing plans as my meeting with them at DSC this year got canceled. Still, one day...

.450-400 NE and .500 NE pictured below. Pretty and functional. Lefty to boot. :D
1618274447939.png

1618274465970.png

1618274656332.png

Last edited:
It seems like the conversation. Went right to fancy custom rigs. Even your first post mr peacock regarding the ruger #1. That is not what they look like from the factory sitting on a peg in a retail store lol.

For “production” or “semi production “ rifles that come off the line in large batches and look good it would be hard to argue the kimber caprivi, or the original African model. But the best looking production rifle in American history imo would have to be the Dakota 76. They built a whole lot of them.

I always thought the Kilimanjaro rifles looked really good. I used to like their build concept, but I ended up going with solid English walnut.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 3.10.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 3.10.01 PM.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 80
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 3.10.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 3.10.02 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 80
Far more important than appearance, for a safari rifle, is FUNCTION . Add quality wood, craftsmanship and finishing... "No hay mas fina".

I always thought the Kilimanjaro rifles looked really good. I used to like their build concept, but I ended up going with solid English walnut.

Gorgeous rifle but that but ugly picarinny rail just ruins the aesthetic.

Not there yet - but I have high hopes for this one. Got a picture from the stockmaker earlier today. Just a bit of water on it to show the potential. Won't know for sure for a few months, though. Still early days. It's for a Sako AV in good old 30-06. Gloss blued action and barrel. And an orange Silvers pad to top it off.
View attachment 392861

On top is the blank it came out of. In the middle is the template (?) for the router, and on the bottom is one of the stockmakers own rifles (we were dicussing shape and size of the cheek rest).

View attachment 392862

I want final result to look like a smaller version of its bigger brother, a 404 Jeffery (also on a Sako AV action).
View attachment 392863
So I guess that this is what I would call a nice-looking rifle.
What scope mounts do you use on the 404? Also, what was it before it became a 404?

BD72064B-5AEA-4177-A960-41FF08F25A86.jpeg

I grew up hunting wood lots in the Southern US. Lever actions were abundant. Old Marlins and Winchesters were everywhere. Every now and again; you ran into a Savage 99.

Those old timers who carried them also swore by them.

The gun was so far ahead of its time. Lever action, controlled feed, tubular magazine, spire point bullets. Perhaps it’s due to nostalgia since they haven’t been made commercially for 20+ years. I still smile any time I see one.

May not win the beauty contest; but, the winner of Mister/Miss Congeniality courtesy of the 300 Savage.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stitchcart

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg