Which one !

Yeah but what about the Whitworth?!?! I thought that was the backup gun.:confused:

Ses..your too smart...you caught me...I like the Whitworth too...but I had to have these Rugers..I was hoping no one would remember the Whitworth..:rolleyes: I'll see what I like best..I solved the issues with the Whitworth and can't wait to see how she shoots..Iv'e never shot a 416 Rigby before..so anxious with that too!

Yeah I hear ya! Now if you really want to complicate matters start reading about the old .404 Jeffery. Now there's a grand old round! It will do just about anything the .416's will do. It can safely drive a 400 gr bullet to over 2400fps, just like the Rigby factory load, and with a .423 dia bullet. A real classic.

ruger safari 004.jpgYea..I read all the classic books..and If I had my way...my bolt gun would be a 404 but you don't run across them too much..maybe one day..like I need another rifle:confused: Anyway here are the pics that I said I would post..if you guys are like me...you like pictures. Hope ya'll enjoy them..am not a photographer LOL. The top rifle is 375 H&H and the bottom is the 416 Rigby.

Wow, if they shoot as pretty as they look you did very well. Very nice!

450/400, 416 and 375 !
Heym 88 you have some serious and exciting range time ahead of you, just ask Pheonix Phil !

Seriously, great purchases, you are well set up for near on anything.

Remember that the cartrdige is mearly a vessel that remains in the gun and that it is the bullet that does the damage, choose wisely.

I wish for you that these firearms set you on a long and memorable journey of successful safari hunting and memory collecting.

The very best of hunting luck,

Paul.

Wow Paul..thank you very much for the kind words! I have a small window of opportunity to purchase these. I made a payment on my Heym today so I'm good for another month:p. Now I'm going to quit buying and return to saving for the safari. I'll let ya know how they shoot. Been a long time since I've shot heavy rifles..but I'm sure I'll get there. Ya gotta love this site..so many good people and knowledge it's unbelievable. Thanks again for your kind words.

450/400, 416 and 375 !
Heym 88 you have some serious and exciting range time ahead of you, just ask Pheonix Phil !

Seriously, great purchases, you are well set up for near on anything.

Remember that the cartrdige is mearly a vessel that remains in the gun and that it is the bullet that does the damage, choose wisely.

I wish for you that these firearms set you on a long and memorable journey of successful safari hunting and memory collecting.

The very best of hunting luck,

Paul.

And now I'm thinking about a 458 B&M..... you and Michael will have some work to do at DSC! :)

You got yourself 2 great looking guns there Heym 88.
Looks like you did a great choice buying them both :)

Phil...I know what you mean..I looked for a pre-64 Winchester in 300H&H for a loooong time. I finally found one. It's 99 percent all original. The guy bought it new in 1961 fired ten rounds wiped it down and never did anything till he sold it to me. Guess that's what neighbors are for:eek: I paid good money for it..but not the outrageous price you usually see. Too good to part with, but if I do..I'll let ya know.

Hello,
I have a "new" Winchester 70 Safari Express .375 H&H.:first:
I am a shooter , about 20 ammos .375 H&H a week or two weeks. The last Winch model 70 is pre-64 type. Winch is back !!!:thumb:
Accuracy, and the trigger is quite pleasant (call MOA) , good weight, smooth action, steel floorplate, steel trigger guard, of course Winch safety 3 positions....:peace:
but the magazine is only 3 cartridges ... be better more, 4 or 5 maybe.:praying:
I consider the "new" Winch 70 Safari Express is a very good bargain.... and I like so the M77 (old model) not the Hawkeye!;)

I really like the old Ruger RSM's they usually feed very good a are built like tanks...that is part of the problem--the old ones barrel contour was every heavy making the 375 a bit portly it is about 1.5lbs to 2 lbs heavy for a 375. I think the model 70 can be "pimped" easier and thats not a bad thing. Depending on what you want to do-- if your a weightlifter and dont want to mess with the rifle--then Ruger 77 RSM all the way. If you later want to put better bottom metal and have it decked out by a good gunsmith then....M70

I agree...one thing I read about 416's is sometimes feeding problems. This Ruger 416 feeds like a champ..at least cycling the action with safety on it does. Still have yet to shoot it.

An idea,
Buy the boths : Win 70 .375 HH not so bad, and the M77 RMS : .416 Rigby the top in this caliber.:acclaim:

Great choice Heym, welcome to the dark side I know you are going to enjoy those Rugers. I shot mine for over 25 years and would not part with them for anything. Again congrats!

Hello,
I have a "new" Winchester 70 Safari Express .375 H&H.:first:
I am a shooter , about 20 ammos .375 H&H a week or two weeks. The last Winch model 70 is pre-64 type. Winch is back !!!:thumb:
Accuracy, and the trigger is quite pleasant (call MOA) , good weight, smooth action, steel floorplate, steel trigger guard, of course Winch safety 3 positions....:peace:
but the magazine is only 3 cartridges ... be better more, 4 or 5 maybe.:praying:
I consider the "new" Winch 70 Safari Express is a very good bargain.... and I like so the M77 (old model) not the Hawkeye!;)

Big + on the old model M77 thats what the wife started with.

Hope to get out next week and shoot both of them..let ya know how it works out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg