Heym 88

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
DSC
Hunted
US
Ok guys....I have a chance to get a Ruger M77 Safari ( older one ) mint condition or a NIB Winchester model 70 Safari both in 375H&H. Both are about the same price. I like the quarter rib on the 77 and both fit me well and weigh about the same. The Winchester I like too. Which one in your opinions and why? I know this has been discussed before. I'm getting this as a back up rifle as my primary will be a Heym double.

Well....only a person lacking taste and refinement would consider the Ruger over the M70! Just kidding....sort of. I haven't handled a Ruger rifle in a long time and won't run it down. Quarter ribs? Who cares really? I can espouse the virtues of my SC made M70 all day long. I've now put hundreds of rounds through it and still don't see a need to change anything about it. But that's me.

Pick the one that feels better in your hands and go shoot it!

Thanks Phil..I live in Columbia SC about 12 miles from the factory. I know both are good rifles. Just good to get some other opinions as well.

Older model Ruger you say, how old and is it a tang safety?

Check the weight of both rifles out. I do know that ruger use nice wood on there older ruger rifles...if that makes a difference.

Check to see if the rifle was free floated and bedded or if it need to be done?

The older rugers need a trigger job to help smooth it out.

Winchester look at what you need to do, like scope, bedding, trigger job...

A little additional information on the rifles would help us out.

Normally I would say go with the Ruger, but the Winchestor Model 70 is a damn nice gun. For same money, I'd go with the Winchestor.

i had an older ruger .375 but the barrel was the same profile as the bigger calibres and it was so muzzle heavy, and heavy over all in weight that i didnt like it at all. i had another one re-chambered to .458 lott and the barrel shortened to 21 inches and it is perfect as a carry gun. they both had the safety on the bolt. i must have got them approx 15 years ago.

I have a model 77 Safari in .416 Rigby, my hunting buddy has a model 70 in .416 Remember mag. He tried to trade......no way. Love my Ruger.

speaking of 416 in a Ruger...my buddy has one of those too for consideration..a safari model as well. I just didn't consider it at first cuz wasn't sure I could handle recoil..i'm a thin framed guy.

Go for the Ruger 77, I have nothing bad to say about the Ruger products and i have had really good luck with them. Cannot say the same about the model 70. I never liked the 70's but I bought one of the newer ones (the ones made under "new ownership") a year or so back, and ended up selling it. Don't know what it is about them but, I (personally) will never buy another. It was accurate enough, but fit and feel????? Just seemed to bulky or didn't fit right. Maybe it is the stigma behind them, you know the one, a "riflemans" rifle. I know the 70's are built like a tank and can take a lot of abuse, but so can other rifles. If I were in your spot I would buy the Ruger, or have something built.

I looked at them today and I liked both of them..The Ruger Safari 77 375H&H is about 98%. The 416 Rigby is 100% and they both have 1.5-5 leupolds on them. Circassion stocks and bolt mounted safeties not tang. Let you know how it comes out. Thanks

What do they want for the .375? I have one in 416 Rigby. If you don't want the 375, I might be interested in it for my wife.

I bought both rifles..I'll get pics out today. I got a really good deal and an excellent trade for my AK so I guess I'm done as far as a backup rifle to my double.

Lucky devil!!....:whoo:....I guess you where singing "Merry Christmas To Me" all the home! :barmy: Post pictures when you can and let us know how they shoot! Congrats!

What a wonderful way to make the decision, I have done things like that too. If something is really good, double down....buy both.

well done. i must be slipping normally i would have suggested that in the first place. :biggrin2:

When you're right, you're right, Must be age...:uptosome::laughing::heh: don't sweat it spike, you'll get'em on the next go around. :draught:

Well guys it just made since to get both..The wood on the Rigby is just awesome...a little better than the 375 but not much. The guy I bought them from has been a gun collector buddy of mine for over 30 years..and he treated me right as he was getting rid of his collection...so It's not like I have a lot of money here :rolleyes: He just gave to a really good deal if I bought both. I'm still paying on my layed away Heym 88..which reminds me I have to make another payment tomorrow..LOL.OH well..one day I will get there. Pics will be posted on saturday..I promise. Thanks to all you guys that chimed in. I know the model 70 is a really good one as I have one in 300 H&H pre 64 as well. So you winchester guys out there..my hats off to you guys as well. Kwahari

Well guys it just made since to get both..The wood on the Rigby is just awesome...a little better than the 375 but not much. The guy I bought them from has been a gun collector buddy of mine for over 30 years..and he treated me right as he was getting rid of his collection...so It's not like I have a lot of money here :rolleyes: He just gave to a really good deal if I bought both. I'm still paying on my layed away Heym 88..which reminds me I have to make another payment tomorrow..LOL.OH well..one day I will get there. Pics will be posted on saturday..I promise. Thanks to all you guys that chimed in. I know the model 70 is a really good one as I have one in 300 H&H pre 64 as well. So you winchester guys out there..my hats off to you guys as well. Kwahari

Heym, of course the wood on the .416 rigby is superior to the .375 thing...... stands to reason .;) but enjoy both :beer:

Well you know since you've gone over to the dark side with the Ruger selection.....it would only make sense to sell that pre64 300H&H.........if only you could find a buyer........hmmmm now who would want such a thing..........can't thing of anyone............but seeing how you could use a little help, I guess I'd be willing to take it off your hands. :zen::praying::praying::praying::praying::praying::meyou::puppydogeyes:

Seriously, if it shoots well and you're willing to depart with it, I've been looking for one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverGood

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross