Which Gun Would You Choose?

500 yards is an extremely long shot, especially if you don't practice hitting things at that distance.

300 yards is a long shot as hitting is one thing and killing is another.

Your 375 is wonderful for PG and will serve you well.

I'd like to apologize for sticking my nose into this discussion since all my hunting has been in North America. But there are a few things to consider that need more attention.
I got to hunt brown bear for the first time at age 60. I had a 308 win. and a 300 win. mag. in my possession. Because of my previous employment I was trained to consider "worst case scenario" in planning my tasks. To make a long story short I bought the first stainless steel 375 H&H I could lay my hands on. This was 3 1/2 weeks before the hunt because my booking was unexpected and only 4 weeks before getting the 375. It did it's job, but I could have accomplished the same results with my 308 win. and Berger 175 grs. with likely more devastating and quicker results than the 300 Swift A Frames I used. Depends on the actual shot circumstances. My guide wasn't particularly happy about my taking the shot (long story behind that) and went after the bear in poor light instead of waiting til morning light. Of course I insisted on going along. I removed my scope and was happy to have that 375 in my hands. Recovery was uneventful as the animal was quite dead at the end of the blood trail.
You may not plan on anything bigger than zebra but you never know what surprises can take place. Just a few years back a writer was killed by a cape buffalo he wasn't hunting. Something to think about.
Also consider CEB or Lehigh bullets. All of the old school lessons learned have changed a bit with these newly designed projectiles. CEB makes bullets that combine the attributes of both softs and solids. Look up Australian buffalo hunter Paul T and learn from his experiences. Yes, the cape is a different metabolic entity but Australia buffs are supposed to be larger and the bullets are indifferent about what you shoot them in to.
Personally I would use the 375 and not look back.
I'll now pull my nose back where it belongs.

Congrats on your bear.

With the parameters offered,the 375 is the best choice available.

Sure! All the other calibers can and will kill PG, just like the choices you had to shoot bear with.

The 375 is an honest to goodness 300 yard pg rifle if paired up with an honest to goodness 300 yard shooter.

No new remark here...If you don't mind carrying your 375 take it by all means. Seems like your comfortable with it. I agree with some here that a lot of PH 's don't like the Weatherby's in camp. I owned two in the past but I am happier with my 300 wsm. I also returned from SA last august where I brought a long my 270 wsm, performed very well. So basically any caliber you mentioned will work out just fine.

500 yards is an extremely long shot, especially if you don't practice hitting things at that distance.

300 yards is a long shot as hitting is one thing and killing is another.

Your 375 is wonderful for PG and will serve you well.

Very well said. I have bench experience at up to 600 yards with big game calibers but field conditions cause my confidence to be 300 yards and less. Preferably MUCH less !

What @Mekaniks and @TOM said. Any of those will work, which one do you like using the most? If it were me, I would choose between the 338 Federal and the 270WSM, since you don't need the weight or recoil of the .375 or the 300W. As to bullets, I'm liking the Nosler Accubonds, and the Woodleigh PPSN, lately. Barnes are good, or Swift A Frames. If eland were on the menu I would load some Barnes or A Frames.
One thing I really like is the Leupold or Leica illuminated reticles. I have a Leica with a German #4 and a round dot reticle that just seems to find its own way to the target.
Nice work on that elk with the 375. What was your load?

No new remark here...If you don't mind carrying your 375 take it by all means. Seems like your comfortable with it. I agree with some here that a lot of PH 's don't like the Weatherby's in camp. I owned two in the past but I am happier with my 300 wsm. I also returned from SA last august where I brought a long my 270 wsm, performed very well. So basically any caliber you mentioned will work out just fine.

I get a chuckle out of ," some ph's don't like Weatherby's in camp" no matter who says it.

It isn't the Weatherby that missed no more than it was a Winchester, Mauser, or any other brand that did the missing, it was the shooter.

Any one will do when I took my boys over a few years ago my oldest shot everything with a 7-08 all one shot kills, including Zebra and Kudu. My youngest used a 300WSM, and I used my 275 Rigby (7x57 in continental terms). Know your limits and practice. I’m 66 years young and understand the weight thing.

Very well said. I have bench experience at up to 600 yards with big game calibers but field conditions cause my confidence to be 300 yards and less. Preferably MUCH less !

Bas,

My long range confidence has dropped horribly over the last lustrum. So much so that after putting a 30-378 together correctly, i mean really correctly, i gave it to my friends son who has killed much game past the 1000 yard mark with it already.

Oh it' not that I would have missed, its that i just wouldn't have hit exactly where I wanted to and that started at 800 yards and out. That piss poor performance on my part with a weapon that from a machine rest at 400 yards looks like one hole where 3 have went through.

Maybe there are those who would be tickled with the idea of even hitting anything at 500 yards, let alone killing an animal at that distance.

Should a "hunter" take shots at fresh game (unshot) past 300 yards? That's a tough question to answer. I know that I believe that Redleggs said that he would not and though I don't personally know him he sure does sound like a hunter to me. I on the other hand don't consider myself a " hunter" simply because my " trophy" is not the animal on the ground, but simply what put him there and my excitement is one shot and a face plant.

I most assuredly tip my hat to hunters who can shoot and understand ballistics. I can only imagine what it must feel like to pull the trigger on the perfect shot to only have your game run away.

I guess that should I only own one caliber to shoot anything and everything on this planet it would be a 45 caliber something. Of course that would mean that I may have to take closer shots or possibly become a hunter so that I can do so,. A nice 350 grain heavy jacketed soft point at 3000 fps delivers 6000 explosive foot pounds of energy with really drops a brownie like he was hit by a truck hauling gold bars at -80 mph!

:A Banana:

I used my .338 federal with 210g Partitions and took a kudu, blue Wildebeest, black Wildebeest, impala, springbok, and a jackel. It worked perfect. Like yous, it is also a lightweight rifle with a Kevlar/composite stock and 20in barrel, weighs 7 1/4 lbs fully loaded. I won't hesitate to take it again someday. My 2c for what it's worth....
Mekaniks
Great choice in both caliber and projectiles. More than enough thump with not much recoil and good to 300yards.
C ant go wrong
Bob.

Depends on where you hunt, and by now you have probably completed your hunt and probably a few more, but I suggest if you intend to hunt PG in country void of DG then a 7x57, 30-06 is as good as it gets, if in country where while hunting PG that has DR, shoot a 338 or 375 Ruger etc as you might run into an injured or wire trapped Buff or elephant so its good idea to be armed for such..A 338 or 375 is a decent PG caliber if the recoil doesn't bother you.

The animals you mention can be found in two different areas and I would choose differently based on where it is.
In the bushveld you will be fine shooting heavy premium bullets out the 7x57.
If you are in the E-Cape, Kalahari fringes or Namibia then the 300 Weatherby or 270 WSM. Again using heavy premium bullets (200+gr or 150gr)

I would highly recommend the .375 Holland & Holland magnum . Can definitely rake a zebra ... From stem to stern .

The animals you mention can be found in two different areas and I would choose differently based on where it is.
In the bushveld you will be fine shooting heavy premium bullets out the 7x57.
If you are in the E-Cape, Kalahari fringes or Namibia then the 300 Weatherby or 270 WSM. Again using heavy premium bullets (200+gr or 150gr)
@shark_za
Mate I hunted the Kalahari and all shots were less than than 200 yards.
Bob

I would guess most shots were over 150m?
You lose a lot of velocity in 200 yards.
The 7mm Rem Mag, .270 Win and such are popular down there for a reason.

In the proper bushveld you rarely shoot over 100m unless its along a road or rare clearing. A 7x57 with 175gr bullets is perfect in this scenario

Things are not absolute though; I have friends who only use 300 Winmags in the thick stuff and some who love a .303 on the plains.
A mate just bought a 300 Weatherby and I have warmed up to its use, big animals far away is a valid niche for this.
A 300 magnum is also my suggestion to anyone whose main priority is nothing else but securing a trophy animal.

I think there was a general consensus of the first page. I’m a little biased as to me Africa or the African Countries, continent or African hunting conjure up thoughts of Classic rifles Classic cartridges.
Your call. If you need the lightweight and you have ammo then happy days. If you want a Timber and Blued rifle in the happy snaps take something that looks the part.
I hired but it was a Stainless/Walnut. . The hire rifle had a suppressor, not so traditional looking but I can’t have one in Australia so I was happy to try. Honestly I forgot it was there but recoil or noise were never considered a time anytime.
Happy hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!