Which animal makes the most impressive taxidermy mount?

Newboomer

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, SCI, American Legion, Freemasons
Hunted
RSA, Maine, Montana, Colorado, Texas, Alaska, California.
In my collection there is something about my 32 inch waterbuck that catches my eye whenever I go into my trophy room. I have a 42 inch eland coming soon so that may change. I am also very impressed by red stag with all those points. Look like they would make a fabulous pedestal mount.

fourfive8

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana
Hard to say really because I haven't seen every animal possible and so many of the ones I have seen look like old, moth eaten, poorly done, worn out movie prop specimens from the B Westerns. The caveat would be a quality mount! The one that seems obvious but hasn't been mentioned, except as a shoulder mount, would be a full body mount of a large African Bull Elephant. You'd have to have a natural history museum attached to your house but hey the OP's question was, "Which animal makes the most impressive mount?". Good grief.... if they are impressive standing 10-15 yards away in the wild, imagine standing next to one in your special room!

Now from a practical sense, the ones that are a little more common than elephant that I remember looking at and being impressed by include the following examples of large male specimens, correctly full body mounted and in good condition: Northern Gray Wolf, Brown Bear, Lion and Tiger.

Last edited:

Newboomer

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, SCI, American Legion, Freemasons
Hunted
RSA, Maine, Montana, Colorado, Texas, Alaska, California.
There was a full body ele mount at SCI a couple years ago. Yeah, him one big fella!

johnnyblues

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
USA, ALASKA Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
Man that’s a tough question, I know my life size brown bear definitely gathers quite a bit of interest when people see it, but I’m hoping my leopard with my Damaras dik dik steals the show. I’ll know in about a month!

Tra3

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Namibia
The brown bear standing on its hind legs at DSC this year was amazing. Massive. It gave a sense of just how little we are.

ActionBob

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
NRA life, DSC, SCI
Hunted
Minnesota, Texas, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, British Columbia, Argentina, Kansas, Macedonia, Austria
Hard to say really because I haven't seen every animal possible and so many of the ones I have seen look like old, moth eaten, poorly done, worn out movie prop specimens from the B Westerns. The caveat would be a quality mount! The one that seems obvious but hasn't been mentioned, except as a shoulder mount, would be a full body mount of a large African Bull Elephant. You'd have to have a natural history museum attached to your house but hey the OP's question was, "Which animal makes the most impressive mount?". Good grief.... if they are impressive standing 10-15 yards away in the wild, imagine standing next to one in your special room!

Now from a practical sense, the ones that are a little more common than elephant that I remember looking at and being impressed by include the following examples of large male specimens, correctly full body mounted and in good condition: Northern Gray Wolf, Brown Bear, Lion and Tiger.
Cabela's have a couple. They are impressive, but up close you almost always see stitching a d patching. They are just so big that the skin gets taken off in panels.

gizmo

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
I don’t think I can answer this question. All animals from the smallest Suni to an elephant and everything in between are so unique and special in their own way. I want to take a tahr one day because I think they are a spectacular animal. That doesn’t mean others aren’t tho. I find beauty in all animals game and non game. taxidermy to me isn’t just about the animal though. The animal certainly is a big part of it, but to me taxidermy is a snap shot in time. It’s an experience and a memory of a certain moment. This is why, personally, I’ve never really cared for euro mounts as I look at them as just a skull on the wall. Good taxidermy though brings that memory alive every time I look at it. I want to be transported back to that exact moment, the experience.

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
to your house but hey the OP's question was, "Which animal makes the most impressive mount?". Good grief.... if they are impressive standing 10-15 yards away in the wild, imagine standing next to one in your special room!

I watched a video of the a full mount bull being shipped and then delivered to a home. It did require its own special room. It was dropped in the room using a crane. Pretty amazing.

Scott CWO

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
SCI, WSF, RMEF, GSCO, and NRA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Mozambique x3, Tanzania and CAR. Tajikistan, Canada, Mexico, AK, WY, NM, SD, CO, UT, AZ, NV
full

I have full mounts of brown bear, nyala, dall sheep, stone sheep, desert sheep, bighorn sheep, Marco Polo sheep, leopard and bongo and in my humble opinion, nothing compares to the most beautiful animal on Earth, the bongo. A big bull elk is very regal and makes a tremendous full mount. As does a sable, lion, tiger or polar bear, but to me, the bongo is king.

Last edited:

35bore

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA,Missouri hunters ed, SCI, Owensville Gun Club, Quail Forever
Hunted
USA, South Africa, France
I don't have one "yet" but I've alway been fond of the caribou mounts I've seen. Whether in velvet or not, some of the most majestic looking beests on the earth.

K-man

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Spain, Alaska, RSA, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, British Columbia, Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming
Lord Derby Eland.
But most of the most impressive mounts are the one with the best story about the stalk, or the most difficult hunt location, etc. Make them come alive with the telling.

Ridgewalker

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
I’ll have to lean toward the sable. A bit partial because that is the last shoulder mount I just received. Trying to figure out how to get I in my tiny space.
That said, as others have already said, they all are unique and have a very special place in my memory. From the first cottontail rabbit on the wooded knoll behind my grandparents house on their 60 acre homestead using my new Christmas Sears and Roebuck single shot 22LR to my lion on my last Safari hiding in the shadows of a huge acacia tree.
I hope to never lose my memories!

JES Adventures

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
www.ranchinvestments.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
Life Member of DSC, NRA and SCI
Hunted
Botswana, Cameroon, CAR, Ethiopia, Namibia, RSA, Tanzania, Uganda, Zimbabwe and Zambia. US, Canada, Arctic, Mexico, Argentina, Spain, Portugal, U.K., Romania, Tadjikistan, Nepal, China, Australia and New Zealand

fourfive8

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana
I don't have one "yet" but I've alway been fond of the caribou mounts I've seen. Whether in velvet or not, some of the most majestic looking beests on the earth.

Absolutely! I too would put a large barren ground caribou with well proportioned antlers very high on my list.

Reactions: MPN

Environ

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
Magnum hut club,SCI,BASC,BDS
Hunted
Zambia,Zimbawex3,C.A.R,Congo,CameroonX2,Beninx2,Botswana,South Africax2,Namibiax2,Tanzania,Krgyzstan,Canada,USA,Italy,France,Finland,Ireland,Spain,Czech Republic,Scotland,England,
Lord Derby Eland.
But most of the most impressive mounts are the one with the best story about the stalk, or the most difficult hunt location, etc. Make them come alive with the telling.
completely agree

Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa, Mozambique
My Favourite Mounts would be
  • Crocodile Rug/Hide
  • Kudu Shoulder Mount
  • Brown Bear Life Size Mount
  • Sable Shoulder Mount
  • Fallow Deer Shoulder Mount
  • Warthog European Mount

Reactions: MPN

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
A bongo, Lord Derby Eland, nyala, bushbuck, kudu, sable, roan, Cape buffalo, caribou and mule deer.

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SalMorrow6

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh