When have you ever been let down by the performance of your rifle on game?

Scope failures?

Unfortunately I've had a number of the older Zeiss Conquest series scopes let go. After so many years of experience with them it just seems a matter of time, or more accurately shots fired before they will let you down. They might be fine on lighter recoiling rifles, but nothing of any significant recoil. Darn shame as I really liked those scopes for the cost.

Michael McCourry who developed the B&M series of calibers would run thru Leupolds like water through a strainer it seemed. They just couldn't withstand those heavy calibers.

Last trip to Africa there was gent in camp with a .300WBY and a Swarovski on top. After a few misses, we figured out it was the scope. So the best do fail too.

But put me in the camp where shooter failures far outweigh equipment failures.

Re scope failures. It is nice to have a light weight scope on a rifle, but, this normally - this is a generality - means light weight internals. The more robust scopes like the S&B and Nightforce that meet the military requirements are somewhat heavier. They are far less likely to break. This does not mean they will not break but less prone to it.

Leupold any day, at least if they break they fix or replace without a hassle no matter how old.

S&B fixed one of mine that had a fault, no charge. I would rather a scope that is far less like to fail. I use Aimpoints, Trijacon on my 416 Rigby. Tough scopes. However you are correct about Leupold's warranty. Just about unbeatable and it is good to see a manufacturer that does stand behind their product.(y)

Two brothers in our hunting party had their scopes fail, both about 15 years ago. One had a then new Weaver (not ElPaso) mounted on a 30-06. at the shot one of the internal lenses let loose as the scope went black. Looking through it resulted in seeing nothing. Fortunately the first shot went on target and that was all that was needed. His brother had a Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8. It was mounted on a 30/338 and had been shot for a few years, total 80-100 rounds fired and had no issues. It had been fired/sighting verified prior to leaving for elk camp and had suffered no bumps in transit. However when he fired at an elk the bullet went several feet to the side. Using Kentucky windage he put the elk down. Later he fired at a target and the point of impact had shifted about 15 MOA to the left. He corrected the sights but had no further hunting since he had tagged the elk. during the following summer he went to the range several times and fired the rifle, shooting it at least 100 times over about 8 trips to the range. During that time there was no shift in the adjustment so no apparent need to return the scope to Leupold. How the scope shifted that first time is still a mystery. If it were me, I'd have sent the scope back just to see what possibly could have caused the problem. As for the Weaver, the brother bought a new scope along with a new rifle.

The firing pin for the lower (1st shot for me) barrel broke on my Tikka 512 O/U 12 gauge. I found out what happened later of course but the thing quit me in the middle of the hottest dove field I have ever seen in the US. At least it had a barrel selector on its single trigger so I got by with a heavy single shot until we limited out that morning. That is the kind of thing that happens to me when trying to convince my buddies that an O/U is the way to go.

I see a lot of stories of bullet failure. But I don't see many caliber failures, and correct me if I am wrong but that was the OP's original question. We all know that cheap bullets generally perform poorly if they aren't matched to the caliber and game we're shooting... i.e. I wouldn't use my .300 win mag loaded with a 125 grain sierra HP on moose. I personally don't have any stories of a caliber or rifle that failed me because I have always subscribed to matching your cartridge to the game. So the smallest caliber I have shot large game with is a 6.5x55 and I know the caliber and rifle are up to the task. Its the shooter and bullet that can certainly fail but I can't blame that on the Ruger M77 mkII that shoots lights out or the 6.5x55 that has successfully been used by the Swedish to bring down 2,000 pound polar bears.

My dad killed a number of smaller deer in the 70's with a .222 Rem. loaded with sierra 60 grain soft points, I don't doubt it will kill deer if you place the bullet perfectly through the ribs. If it hits the leg bone just down from the shoulder blade however, where the bone is thickest, I don't know as it will have the momentum to punch through and do the job. You may just have an animal with a broken front leg that goes off to either die somewhere or live the rest of its very short life (it will be food for coyotes with only three legs) in misery.

THAT is a rifle failure is in my opinion and why there are "sensible minimums" I don't doubt that my .223 would have broken a small deer's shoulder bone and gone through and through, but it would have been loaded with a 55 grain Barnes TTSX to about 3,100 fps. Lets face it, we don't load for the smallest example of a species do we? Thats why I will be taking a .300 Win Mag on Nov. 3rd to WY to hunt elk. I don't need that much power to kill elk and I probably don't even need the flat shooting capability that cartridge provides.. But the trip cost me enough that I want all the insurance I can get. Large animals that cost a lot to hunt should not be test grounds for "Will this (insert smaller than recommended caliber here) kill a (insert large game animal here)?"

Let's face it, sensible minimums have been established for so many years that it boggles my mind when someone wants to know if a ".218 bee will kill a moose"....:A Blink:. Threads like that should end with one response. "Yes, if you can hit a dime 100% of the time from field positions out to 200 yards. If not.... no." no need for further discussion. That's why they are called SENSIBLE minimums.... not "absolute-bare-bones-skin-of-your-teeth" minimums.

Last edited:
Once in Germany in about 1977. Was hunting a much coveted red stag permit and on the last evening was presented a broadside shot at about 180 yards through open timber. Stag dropped dead at the shot. Was using 150 gr Norma from a .270. When we gutted and skinned it, we found the copper jacket had penetrated maybe two inches and that the bullet had fragmented. Miraculously, enough bits had penetrated both lungs to bring him down almost instantly. Could have been a very different ending.

Sounds like bullet disappointment rather than rifle

Sounds like bullet disappointment rather than rifle
Absolutely. Have never had a rifle or scope fail while hunting. Ever.

In 1965 my brother was using a hand-me-down Marlin 36 (not 336) and he went to fire it while hunting and was surprised by just a loud click. dismantling the rifle revealed that the tip of the firing pin was broken. In the field there was no option for replacement, so we filed a nail down to the diameter and length of the missing piece of the firing pin and placed it in position. this was before super-glue so we just carefully placed it in position and with equal care loaded the rifle at his stand. a short time later a nice buck passed and only one shot was needed- which was fortunate since the repeater had been reduced to a single-shot. Anymore, I take a spare rifle along just for such untimely events.

I’m in the same boat...

Been fortunate enough to never experience a rifle, scope, or bullet failure on a hunt...

But I’ve got a benelli 12 gauge in the safe that gives me fits... failures to feed on several occasions...

It will do it when it’s bone dry, soaking in oil, hot, cold, shooting 2 3/4” light loads, 3 1/2” mags, etc.. I’ve tried several times to identify the problem and can’t seem to figure it out..

I can take it to the range and shoot 3 boxes through it and it will perform flawlessly...

Take it to the duck blind though and it’s almost guaranteed to jam up at least once during the hunt.. if not twice...

Once in Germany in about 1977. Was hunting a much coveted red stag permit and on the last evening was presented a broadside shot at about 180 yards through open timber. Stag dropped dead at the shot. Was using 150 gr Norma from a .270. When we gutted and skinned it, we found the copper jacket had penetrated maybe two inches and that the bullet had fragmented. Miraculously, enough bits had penetrated both lungs to bring him down almost instantly. Could have been a very different ending.
I had the same experience with a Kruger 77 RSI in 243 shooting 100 grain remington core-locks. I shot a 10 point at 40 yards through the heart. He ran 80 yards in a circle and fell within sight. Same scenario you just described. Jacket was found in the heart and fragments took out both lungs. There was very little blood trail with only the entrance hole and the heart not pumping. That soured me on relying on speed to kill. I now prefer bigger bullets at moderate velocities that leave 2 holes and a blood trail Ray Charles can follow.

oddly enough core-lokt is our ammo of choice for the 243 on small game like puku, warthog, reedbuck, duiker etc.
substantially better than the usual options we have had available previously like the PMP ammo.
Just curious when the PMP fails is it a failure to expand or penetrate?

It's been years but both were Leupold scopes. I can't remember precisely which Leupold scopes or whether or not both .375 rifles were mounted with precisely the same Leupold scopes. These rifles belonged to two different individuals one of which was me and the other, my friend so the scopes could have been two different models.

My friend's scope failure led to another kind of failure. My friend may have been using factory ammunition but I had loaded my own cartridges. Although I don't remember the details, I loaded my .375 for a safe but high velocity. The bullet, I don't want to use the manufacturers name but has 'Grand' somewhere in its title was in the 285 grain range.

Before the scope incident, I had shot several animals with the…ah…'Grand'. It shot right through a leopard producing a sudden kill. It also dropped a large bushbuck in his tracks--I can't remember if it exited. I killed a zebra but it took a couple of shots and the bullets didn't exit. No major surprise. But I shot a quartered on impala and the bullet exited his rump as small fragments. I shot a 50 lb baboon, killing him instantly, but the heavy bullet didn't exit.

Now my load was OK because, using the same formula, I loaded some with Hornady solids. I killed a bull elephant with a single side head shot. The bullet struck the middle of the brain and almost exited the skull. I shot two Cape Buffalo bulls. One collapsed instantly with a neck shot. The other required two chest shots but didn't get 80 yards.

OK, so the Hornady solids performed as advertised but the 'Grands' …… Anyway, my friend's scope was wrecked so I invited him to use my rifle and my reloads [I still hadn't put two and two together]. He got a 100 yd shot at a large male lion. He fired at the point of his shoulder but the lion walked off dragging a foreleg. My friend reckoned he'd made a bad shot and hit him in the foot, so he and the guide both started shooting and bagged the lion after a lot of shots.

The first 'Grand' hit the cat perfectly but shattered on the shoulder. It shattered into hundreds of pieces but not one fragment entered his chest cavity. Another 'Grand' hit the lion immediately above the eye. This bullet didn't shatter but was distorted after passing through about an inch of frontal bone and was embedded in muscle. It didn't stop the lion.

My possible explanations: Although there was no evidence of my reloads being over-pressure, the bullet was very fast and the recoil was heavy. 1. the 'Grand' in .375 H and H [this is 35 years ago] may have been designed for lower velocities. 2. the heavy recoil dislocated the scope glass [which doesn't explain my friend's scope failure because he was using factory loads].

As I think about it, and as I wrote previously, my own Leupold scope shattered when I shot [Nosler Partition] at a bear uphill from me, with a cliff some distance below him. I was on a frozen beach at the foot of the same cliff. The bear rolled down and fell off the cliff. It almost hit me. I can remember it looking bigger and bigger as it fell towards me. Did I tuck and roll to avoid it--an action that could have damaged the scope? I can't remember. I do remember moving fast so that the falling bear didn't hit me. I fired from a big pile of frozen snow, prone, but I can't remember any violent movement on my part [like rolling on my rifle and scope]. But, then again, I was acting automatically which doesn't allow much room for recent or distant memory. I do remember that the bear was wrecked by the fall with large gashes in his hide.

By the way, in reply to some of the posters who never seem to miss and never wound and lose an animal. I've done a whole lot of hunting. I won't even attempt to enumerate the beasts I've shot and 1. I do miss sometimes and 2. I've even had a few wounded animals escape. Heck, I've even had some wounded prairie dogs 'escape' but not because of rifle, bullet or scope failure.
Anyone who says he hasn't made a bad shot for lost an animal is either lying or just hasn't hunted long enough. There are no gimmes or do overs in hunting.

oddly enough core-lokt is our ammo of choice for the 243 on small game like puku, warthog, reedbuck, duiker etc.
substantially better than the usual options we have had available previously like the PMP ammo.

I have always had good accuracy and quick kills with 165 grain CoreLokt from my 30-06. On a plains game hunt in 2015 I switched from 180 grain accubonds to 165 grain corelokt and everything dropped right where it was hit. On tough animals an A-frame is my go to bullet.

I guide a lot in West Texas for whitetail deer. I have had miserable experience with Barnes TTX bullets. They appear to be too tough for whitetails. I have shot and guided many deer that left no blood trail at all, just pin holes in both sides. I have ultimately found the deer dead, but do not enjoy the lengthy tracking with no blood trail.
Interested to know what cartridge, approx weight and MV?

Anyone who says he hasn't made a bad shot for lost an animal is either lying or just hasn't hunted long enough. There are no gimmes or do overs in hunting.
MS 9X56A
I've had a few shooter failures in my time, 1 shotgun failure the bitch fired both barrels at the same time. One loaded with buckshot the other a solid slug. Idont know who it hurt moe me or the pig, but a least I was still standing.
Heaps of failures with 22 cal 55 grain balistic tips, sometimes work most time not.
Cheers mate Bob

seems like its the scope that screws up,not the fire arm.one scope only,never the handgun,fault is always on me.not many but a few.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasS111

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!