When have you ever been let down by the performance of your rifle on game?

Discussion in 'Up To .375' started by Technologist, Jun 3, 2015.

1. PHOENIX PHIL

PHOENIX PHIL AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    Scope failures?

Unfortunately I've had a number of the older Zeiss Conquest series scopes let go. After so many years of experience with them it just seems a matter of time, or more accurately shots fired before they will let you down. They might be fine on lighter recoiling rifles, but nothing of any significant recoil. Darn shame as I really liked those scopes for the cost.

Michael McCourry who developed the B&M series of calibers would run thru Leupolds like water through a strainer it seemed. They just couldn't withstand those heavy calibers.

Last trip to Africa there was gent in camp with a .300WBY and a Swarovski on top. After a few misses, we figured out it was the scope. So the best do fail too.

But put me in the camp where shooter failures far outweigh equipment failures.

Rule 303 likes this.

2. Rule 303

Rule 303 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Australia, New Zealand, Zimbabwe & Namibia
    Re scope failures. It is nice to have a light weight scope on a rifle, but, this normally - this is a generality - means light weight internals. The more robust scopes like the S&B and Nightforce that meet the military requirements are somewhat heavier. They are far less likely to break. This does not mean they will not break but less prone to it.

ldmay375 likes this.

3. Neale

Neale AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia, South Africa ( Eastern Cape, Free State, Limpopo,KwaZulu Natal )
    Leupold any day, at least if they break they fix or replace without a hassle no matter how old.

AWLee likes this.

4. Rule 303

Rule 303 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Australia, New Zealand, Zimbabwe & Namibia
    S&B fixed one of mine that had a fault, no charge. I would rather a scope that is far less like to fail. I use Aimpoints, Trijacon on my 416 Rigby. Tough scopes. However you are correct about Leupold's warranty. Just about unbeatable and it is good to see a manufacturer that does stand behind their product.(y)

5. Ray B

Ray B AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Two brothers in our hunting party had their scopes fail, both about 15 years ago. One had a then new Weaver (not ElPaso) mounted on a 30-06. at the shot one of the internal lenses let loose as the scope went black. Looking through it resulted in seeing nothing. Fortunately the first shot went on target and that was all that was needed. His brother had a Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8. It was mounted on a 30/338 and had been shot for a few years, total 80-100 rounds fired and had no issues. It had been fired/sighting verified prior to leaving for elk camp and had suffered no bumps in transit. However when he fired at an elk the bullet went several feet to the side. Using Kentucky windage he put the elk down. Later he fired at a target and the point of impact had shifted about 15 MOA to the left. He corrected the sights but had no further hunting since he had tagged the elk. during the following summer he went to the range several times and fired the rifle, shooting it at least 100 times over about 8 trips to the range. During that time there was no shift in the adjustment so no apparent need to return the scope to Leupold. How the scope shifted that first time is still a mystery. If it were me, I'd have sent the scope back just to see what possibly could have caused the problem. As for the Weaver, the brother bought a new scope along with a new rifle.

Rule 303 likes this.

6. Dirtdart

Dirtdart SILVER SUPPORTER AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life Member SCI, Benefactor NRA, NMLRA.
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia
    The firing pin for the lower (1st shot for me) barrel broke on my Tikka 512 O/U 12 gauge. I found out what happened later of course but the thing quit me in the middle of the hottest dove field I have ever seen in the US. At least it had a barrel selector on its single trigger so I got by with a heavy single shot until we limited out that morning. That is the kind of thing that happens to me when trying to convince my buddies that an O/U is the way to go.

Rule 303 likes this.

7. ChrisG

ChrisG AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NAHC, NRA, Rocky Mtn. Elk Foundation.
    Hunted:
    USA, Canada
    I see a lot of stories of bullet failure. But I don't see many caliber failures, and correct me if I am wrong but that was the OP's original question. We all know that cheap bullets generally perform poorly if they aren't matched to the caliber and game we're shooting... i.e. I wouldn't use my .300 win mag loaded with a 125 grain sierra HP on moose. I personally don't have any stories of a caliber or rifle that failed me because I have always subscribed to matching your cartridge to the game. So the smallest caliber I have shot large game with is a 6.5x55 and I know the caliber and rifle are up to the task. Its the shooter and bullet that can certainly fail but I can't blame that on the Ruger M77 mkII that shoots lights out or the 6.5x55 that has successfully been used by the Swedish to bring down 2,000 pound polar bears.

My dad killed a number of smaller deer in the 70's with a .222 Rem. loaded with sierra 60 grain soft points, I don't doubt it will kill deer if you place the bullet perfectly through the ribs. If it hits the leg bone just down from the shoulder blade however, where the bone is thickest, I don't know as it will have the momentum to punch through and do the job. You may just have an animal with a broken front leg that goes off to either die somewhere or live the rest of its very short life (it will be food for coyotes with only three legs) in misery.

THAT is a rifle failure is in my opinion and why there are "sensible minimums" I don't doubt that my .223 would have broken a small deer's shoulder bone and gone through and through, but it would have been loaded with a 55 grain Barnes TTSX to about 3,100 fps. Lets face it, we don't load for the smallest example of a species do we? Thats why I will be taking a .300 Win Mag on Nov. 3rd to WY to hunt elk. I don't need that much power to kill elk and I probably don't even need the flat shooting capability that cartridge provides.. But the trip cost me enough that I want all the insurance I can get. Large animals that cost a lot to hunt should not be test grounds for "Will this (insert smaller than recommended caliber here) kill a (insert large game animal here)?"

Let's face it, sensible minimums have been established for so many years that it boggles my mind when someone wants to know if a ".218 bee will kill a moose"....:A Blink:. Threads like that should end with one response. "Yes, if you can hit a dime 100% of the time from field positions out to 200 yards. If not.... no." no need for further discussion. That's why they are called SENSIBLE minimums.... not "absolute-bare-bones-skin-of-your-teeth" minimums.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    Shootist43 likes this.

8. colorado

colorado AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Sounds like bullet disappointment rather than rifle

9. Red Leg

Red Leg AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
    Absolutely. Have never had a rifle or scope fail while hunting. Ever.

10. Ray B

Ray B AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    In 1965 my brother was using a hand-me-down Marlin 36 (not 336) and he went to fire it while hunting and was surprised by just a loud click. dismantling the rifle revealed that the tip of the firing pin was broken. In the field there was no option for replacement, so we filed a nail down to the diameter and length of the missing piece of the firing pin and placed it in position. this was before super-glue so we just carefully placed it in position and with equal care loaded the rifle at his stand. a short time later a nice buck passed and only one shot was needed- which was fortunate since the repeater had been reduced to a single-shot. Anymore, I take a spare rifle along just for such untimely events.

11. wesheltonj

wesheltonj AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Benefactor-Life NRA, DSC, SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    Rifle failure, nope. A5 shotgun, jams all the time.

Red Leg likes this.

12. mdwest

mdwest AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC Life Member, NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, Argentina, Peru
    I’m in the same boat...

Been fortunate enough to never experience a rifle, scope, or bullet failure on a hunt...

But I’ve got a benelli 12 gauge in the safe that gives me fits... failures to feed on several occasions...

It will do it when it’s bone dry, soaking in oil, hot, cold, shooting 2 3/4” light loads, 3 1/2” mags, etc.. I’ve tried several times to identify the problem and can’t seem to figure it out..

I can take it to the range and shoot 3 boxes through it and it will perform flawlessly...

Take it to the duck blind though and it’s almost guaranteed to jam up at least once during the hunt.. if not twice...