When have you ever been let down by the performance of your rifle on game?

Shot this pig with 30.06 180 grain federal soft points . Five times. None of the bullets went more than 2-4 inches deep . He was hit in the shoulder and neck from 70-80 yards while running across a hay field. If I would have been using trophy bonded tips he would've started cart wheeling after the first hit.

IMG_20200725_173001.jpg

Shot this pig with 30.06 180 grain federal soft points . Five times. None of the bullets went more than 2-4 inches deep . He was hit in the shoulder and neck from 70-80 yards while running across a hay field. If I would have been using trophy bonded tips he would've started cart wheeling after the first hit.

View attachment 359372
that is a big pig. What did he weigh?

I didn't have reliable scales but probably 300 pounds. Had quite a "grisle shield" on his sides . I live in Pennsylvania near a game farm that has some really pure Russian and European boars and fortunately some escaped and bred so he was a true fair chase boar on public land.

I once owned a Sako Forrester in .264 win mag. The rifle had a feeding problem as I found out when approaching a moose I had just shot only to have him get back up at almost point blank range. Put the crosshairs on him only to hear a click when I squeezed the trigger. The next round hadn’t fed and I had to adjust the round in the magazine to get the bolt to catch it. On top of that there was a grove in the stock directly behind the action that a bolt guide was supposed to slide through. However after a few days of hunting in the rain the stock swelled in the groove and the bolt was almost impossible to work. On top of that the cartridge was not the greatest at the time. Stout bulcers in .264 didn’t exist then (80’s) and they tended to blow up on deer. Sold the rifle and never regretted it.

I didn't have reliable scales but probably 300 pounds. Had quite a "grisle shield" on his sides . I live in Pennsylvania near a game farm that has some really pure Russian and European boars and fortunately some escaped and bred so he was a true fair chase boar on public land.
I would recommend a 358 win or a 9.3x62. I had the same problem with a 480 pound boar in Georgia. Finally dropped literally at the end of my gun barrel after taking 6 rounds of 308 with 180 grain corelocs. Got home from trip and told my wife I need a bigger gun. Bought a 35 whelen.

Bullets Hornady Interlock SP 250 grains cal. .338 win. mag ... reload..speed 2300 ft / sec ... went through a boar, the shot went to the paddle, the bullet followed and dared the neck of a 300 kg calf. Never get the bullet back.

I ve always been careful about my guns as to function and accuracy, so I can only recall one incident, I was on a monster elk, he dropped off the rim and I had to run and put a round in the chamber of my Rem 721, I got to the rim and he was 25 yards from me looking over his shoulder. I upped my gun and click, and he stepped out of sight never to be seen again by me anyway, the round fell out as I was running chambering the rifle..Ive never hunted with a gun that did not have the control feature again..

In my 70 years of hunting Ive wounded two animals that didn't get recovered and that was solely my bad shooting, not the gun..

I once owned a Sako Forrester in .264 win mag. The rifle had a feeding problem as I found out when approaching a moose I had just shot only to have him get back up at almost point blank range. Put the crosshairs on him only to hear a click when I squeezed the trigger. The next round hadn’t fed and I had to adjust the round in the magazine to get the bolt to catch it. On top of that there was a grove in the stock directly behind the action that a bolt guide was supposed to slide through. However after a few days of hunting in the rain the stock swelled in the groove and the bolt was almost impossible to work. On top of that the cartridge was not the greatest at the time. Stout bulcers in .264 didn’t exist then (80’s) and they tended to blow up on deer. Sold the rifle and never regretted it.

any sako sold is a good rifle to have owned.
bruce.

I would recommend a 358 win or a 9.3x62. I had the same problem with a 480 pound boar in Georgia. Finally dropped literally at the end of my gun barrel after taking 6 rounds of 308 with 180 grain corelocs. Got home from trip and told my wife I need a bigger gun. Bought a 35 whelen.

Hit that hog with the heavy Barnes 308 round. One and done should be the result. Personally shot a lot of hogs with my old 308, with premium rounds, they dropped with one shot. 9.3x62 would be fantastic on hogs but my new hog rifle is an AR10 in 338 Federal. Will be using Federal trophy coppers for the hogs.

The only failure Ive had has been with the .243, Kills great but every once in a while it fails miserably, fortunately alll animals were eventually recovered/

I have never has a Corelokt fail in any caliber including the 30-30 on deer and even elk..It always got the job done..

So many wounded animals escape and the gun or the bullet gets the blame?? not always the case. How can one determine the result without recovery, at least in most cases.

I agree Ray! .243 doesn't leave a whole lot of room for error. Yep I'd say it's hard to assume what happened if the animal is never recovered.

The only failure Ive had has been with the .243, Kills great but every once in a while it fails miserably, fortunately alll animals were eventually recovered/

I have never has a Corelokt fail in any caliber including the 30-30 on deer and even elk..It always got the job done..

So many wounded animals escape and the gun or the bullet gets the blame?? not always the case. How can one determine the result without recovery, at least in most cases.

100% agree, unless you recover an animal there is no way anyone can blame the caliber or bullet. Never used a .243, a little light for my tastes, but have heard people blaming a .308 for not performing and I always have to wonder what the “rest of the story” really was (shot placement perhaps?). For years I bought whatever good/decent rounds were on sale and never had a single round fail, from any manufacture. Have migrated to using Barnes, Federal Trophy Copper, and Norma rounds. Can’t imagine any of those failing. Corelokt has always been dependable, though they aren’t as accurate as the rounds I’ve moved to, IMHO.

I shot a white tail doe, maybe 30-35 yards away, nice broadside presentation, using a Nosler Trophy Grade AccuBond 140gr bullet in 6.5x55. She fell at the shot, but as I approached her, she jumped up and took off through the bush. Decent blood trail, but took over 5 hours of tracking, and another guy in the hunting party eventually put her down for good. The bullet had impacted the shoulder and completely disintegrated on the hide, looked like she had been shot with a 12 gauge.
Was I too close for that bullet?
Would it have opened up at 200 yards?
I don't know the answer, but it put doubt in my mind about that bullet, and I have not bought any more since.

1977 .

I was appointed to shoot a rogue Asiatic elephant . I was carrying my .458 WM (Winchester Magnum ) . It was custom built on a Winchester Enfield 1917 action with a Douglas Premium barrel and a French walnut stock by Flaig’s in Millvale , Pennsylvania . I was using Winchester Super Speed 500 grain round nosed steel jacketed solid factory loads . The velocity on the box was 2130 fps ( feet per second ) .

I first tried to take the rogue elephant out with a frontal brain shot . But the bullet deformed very badly . The lead core got squeezed out of the back of the bullet upon striking the elephant’s skull . Elephant skulls are thicker at the front than at the sides . They are honeycombed with pockets of fluid .

Since the animal charged , I had to take aim at it’s knee and fire . The elephant’s leg bone snapped and he fell down . Elephants cannot move on three legs . Then , I gave him a side brain shot behind the ear , which finally killed him . To this day , the Forest Guard who was accompanying me insists that I had mistakenly used a soft nosed bullet for the first shot . But I know that this was not the case .
0A2E9A52-86AC-40D0-A29B-7EE194741318.jpeg

570ADD78-FF0B-4A9E-BB39-7A48AEDD73C9.jpeg

3D8C1B1A-B48B-4630-AF99-F5F449013B2A.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!