What's the ideal / preferred rifle weight for the following cartridges?

Northern Shooter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Just curious what you each think is the ideal or preferred rifle weight for the following cartridges as I often read manufacturer specs and think "that sounds light for caliber".

1. 338 Win Mag
2. 375 H&H
3. 416 Rigby / Rem Mag
4. 458 Win Mag
5. 458 Lott
6. 470 NE
7 500 NE
8. 500 Jeffery
9. 505 Gibbs
10. 577 NE

Curious to hear the thoughts from those of you experienced with these.

I can only comment on the .375 H&H. All up and ready to make noise - somewhere between 9 - 9.5 lbs.

I can only comment on the .375 H&H. All up and ready to make noise - somewhere between 9 - 9.5 lbs.
My only experience with the 375H&H is my CZ550 at 9.3lbs and it's just fine, maybe on a heavy end for that cartridge.

My 458 Win Mag is 9lbs flat and kicks quite a bit more, I'm guessing that is on the lighter side for caliber.

33.-375 - about 9-9.5 lbs
.40-.45 - 10.5-11 lbs
.500s - 11.5-12 lbs
.577 - 13-15 lbs

Even then, they are still gonna smack you. The bigger guns will also beat the heck out of a wooden stock unless it is heavily reinforced without adequate weight in the barrel and action.

Inertia is the worlds most effective recoil reducer.

33.-375 - about 9-9.5 lbs
.40-.45 - 10.5-11 lbs
.500s - 11.5-12 lbs
.577 - 13-15 lbs

Even then, they are still gonna smack you. The bigger guns will also beat the heck out of a wooden stock unless it is heavily reinforced without adequate weight in the barrel and action.

Inertia is the worlds most effective recoil reducer.
That leaves me wondering why Winchester decided to make their current Model 70 safari express weigh in at 9.0 LBS for the 416 RM and 458 WM. It sounds like it weighs just right for the 375H&H offering but 2lbs light for the 40 cals. Were they expecting everyone to top them with heavy scope and rings?

I would, but i’ll get yelled at as I like lite guns.
My Kimber Mountain Ascent with scope is 5lbs 14oz and my Kimber Talkeetna, with scope is 7lbs 12oz. I like my rifles as light as can be because I carry them a lot more than I ever pull the trigger!!

What are those two chambered in?
Kimber Mountain Ascent is .308, it is all factory, my Kimber Talkeetna is .375H&H, I had 4" of the barrel cut off, 24" to 20", then the barrel tapered to help reduce weight. I had the barrel threaded so I can shoot it with a muzzle brake when sighting it in, then when I hunt I remove that so it's not quite as loud.

Felt recoil is as much a factor of the cartridge you are shooting as how the rifle fits you. I would go so far as to say that rifle fit is one of the most important factor in reducing felt recoil, along with technique and proper practice. As the caliber goes up, rifle fit becomes more and more important.

Lastly, people should know the difference between "wait" and "weight".

Felt recoil is as much a factor of the cartridge you are shooting as how the rifle fits you. I would go so far as to say that rifle fit is one of the most important factor in reducing felt recoil, along with technique and proper practice. As the caliber goes up, rifle fit becomes more and more important.

Lastly, people should know the difference between "wait" and "weight".
Whoops, just caught that now. Too many drinks tonight apparently.

I have an 8 pound flat 375 H&H. It really kicks. I’m thinking of getting it Mag-na-ported to reduce muzzle jump.

My .375 is 11.6 with scope. Recoil is comfortable even with heavy loads. The caveat...most of my limited rifle shooting is done from a bench on the range.

That leaves me wondering why Winchester decided to make their current Model 70 safari express weigh in at 9.0 LBS for the 416 RM and 458 WM.
Because they dont produce magnum lenght action. So, smaller length action rifle will be of smaller weight.

Similarly you have ruger hawkeye african, in 375 ruger caliber, weight 8 pounds.
Some companies are aware of this issue, and like ruger they are fitting muzzle brakes on the barrels. But this is not overly appreciated by PHs.
Some not, zastava for example, m70 in 375 and 458 win mag, no muzzle brake.
The curse of medium action.

For average hunter, globally, short and medium length action will cover their their needs in variety of calibers from various centerfire 22's up to 300 win mag and 9.3x62.
This covers at least 98% of hunting rifle market. and 98% of demand.

DG calibers over 375, are rarely needed, except for African DG hunt, and Magnum length action thus becomes luxury, because no body produces it any more, except, very few elite workshops.

Common market factories with budget rifles, for DG hunters, are focusing on short magnums: like 375 ruger, 416 rem mag, 376 steyr, etc.

Because of smaller demand, magnum length action is not profitable to keep production going.

When factory winchester actually had the monopol on DG caliber market in late fifties and early 60ies, (with 375 and 458), I think they actually had profitable chance to start production of magnum lenght action, but they never did.
facing other technical and financial problems, they opted to phase out old pre 64 m70, and start production for new m70. so till now, we have current models in production. with pre 64 type model available again

It would be nice if the weights is actual weight - inkl scope/red dot.

I have an 8 pound flat 375 H&H. It really kicks. I’m thinking of getting it Mag-na-ported to reduce muzzle jump.
I'd highly recommend doing anything other than Mag-na-port. Like having the barrel threaded so you can add a brake until you are more experienced with this cartridge. It takes time and lots of practice to get in "shooting shape". That way when you go hunting, you don't deafen everyone in the hunting party because you remove the brake and installed a thread protector.

Here is my 7.75 lb 375H&H...
1690618116561.png

This is me (70" & 160 lbs) shooting the same rifle full power loads...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/J18M4NfxFxQKX1zA7

Personally, the first thing I'd do is take the rifle and have a professional fit you for the rifle. Having the LOP off by as much as 1/4" to 3/8" can have a huge difference in felt recoil. Not everyone is "average" body shape. Having a mid-bore rifle requires a better fitting stock.

If that doesn't sound like a plan, why not look into having some weight added under the barrel? Melting some fishing weights and placing them under the barrel is a way to increase weight and still make it removable if you want to at a later time.

Please do your homework and avoid porting the barrel at all costs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rowan458

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.