What's the hunting gear you can't live without?

will not go bush without Bino's and wide brim hat.
watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
My camara,binocs,boots,headlamp,and journal.

extra batteries for everything that requires them, an extra memory stick or two....TWO bottles of Advil, one to leave at camp and one to carry in your backpack while out hunting......a bottle of 5 hour energy has saved my bacon before as well.

I usually have only one piece of gear that is almost always a constant with me while hunting......a Rottweiler/German Shepherd/ Black Lab dog that is my near constant companion. Everything else, I could easily replace....but not him.

Second most important thing is a first aid kit in a remote place like Montana. A bottle of Talisker or Laphroaig is the most important medical item.

I think the fact that most of the replies are along the lines of boots, rifle, and other basics says a lot: cool gadgets are not important. It seems the more I do any activity, the more I find that I can eliminate from my equipment list.

In a real pinch, you can borrow almost anything beyond boots, which I why I bring a second pair. I agree with the suggestion to bring a good, substantial book or two.

One thing you will notice is that most experienced hunters have excellent quality binoculars, there is a reason for that. Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica, etc are not merely status symbols.

One other thing I would truly hate to give up is my permethrin treated clothing. I cannot describe how much more enjoyable outdoor life is without ticks and/or chiggers burrowing into my body.

What are your favorite, can't live or I should say hunt without pieces of hunting gear? I'm thinking of things that will be practical or necessary for a safari in particular... any thoughts?

Safari Chick,

Apart from all the obvious, there are 3 things that saved my skin before and that I now always carry. Mostly to do with a couple of drops of rain. I've set out a number of times in blue skies only for a shower to come out of nowhere. A good scope cover, a simple plastic bag and elastic to cover fore end of bore and a bore snake to give it a quick dry. Boresnake also to be used after a dust storm. You don't want to shoot with a water drop or dust in the bore, so the Boresnake is nice and light to always carry around.

One thing you will notice is that most experienced hunters have excellent quality binoculars, there is a reason for that. Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica, etc are not merely status symbols.

Now you are talking my language, David.

And you are right too a good book...goes a long way!

I think the fact that most of the replies are along the lines of boots, rifle, and other basics says a lot: cool gadgets are not important. It seems the more I do any activity, the more I find that I can eliminate from my equipment list.

In a real pinch, you can borrow almost anything beyond boots, which I why I bring a second pair. I agree with the suggestion to bring a good, substantial book or two.

One other thing I would truly hate to give up is my permethrin treated clothing. I cannot describe how much more enjoyable outdoor life is without ticks and/or chiggers burrowing into my body.

David, Can you please explain how to treat the clothing? sounds like a great idea, how is it done?,, thanks a lot.

You can buy permethrin clothing treatment at a sporting goods store. It is supposed to last several washings. What I do is buy 10 percent permethrin goat and sheep dip at the farm store, dilute it to 0.8 percent (about 12 to 1) and soak the clothes in that for several hours. It is a lot less expensive and stronger than the spray on stuff. The 0.8 percent is based on what the military uses. A soak in theory works better than a spray because it penetrates from both sides of the cloth. It is not approved for use on human clothing, so I'm not advocating it, insert legal disclaimer here. I am just telling you what I do and telling you it works very well. DO NOT FORGET to blouse your pants into your boots!!! If you don't, they might just manage to crawl up and in and bite before the permethrin gets them.

My enjoyment of the great outdoors has gone up immeasurably since I started wearing my "tick-proofs".

The military has been working on this a long time, with lots of money, and as far as I can tell, they really got it right. If you google up some of the tests they did, you'll see some impressive results. I would not want to be in the control group on any of those tests.

Permethrin works fine by itself for ticks. If there are mosquitos plaguing you, you should add DEET. If you do the full monte permethrin treated clothes and time release DEET, you will be in good shape. I rarely use the DEET, because my biggest problem is ticks and chiggers, but it is part of the full package. Using the time release DEET (3M Ultrathon) is important unless you want to reapply the stuff every two hours.

I know this may be a tad off topic so I apologize up front, but to me it’s all about who I’m with! I have hunted with my father since I was very young. Now I’m not so young and hunting with him is priceless! I have been on only a few hunts without him and it just isn’t the same. We are only 12 days away from our first Safari (RSA) and I most defiantly would not be going without him. :)

Back on topic: when I’m hunting without a Guide/Ph, like I typically do, I have to have my GPS. I love to take long walks but I get mixed up very easily so it literally is a must for me.

Chew...... Smokers are covered but those of us that chew are just plain out of luck :)

the no go with outs in my pack are ;
toilet paper, tarp (ground sheet ) 3 rolls of electrical tape,persoal locating beacon ,matches or lighter, 2 knifes ,sharpening steel,face viel and mesh gloves, water (at least one bottle )
the secodaries;
3 spare rounds of ammo,scope cover ,binos ,gps with spare batteries nut and protien bars.

Bottles of water and/or a water purification system. No living without it.

Guys I seen alot of GPS listed and last year I took my etrac with me to africa not that I needed it just wanted to play with it some where else besides north america. well long story short it didn't work couldn't find a sat. in africa that it could lock on to someone want to tell me why maybe I'll try it again. Bob

Guys I seen alot of GPS listed and last year I took my etrac with me to africa not that I needed it just wanted to play with it some where else besides north america. well long story short it didn't work couldn't find a sat. in africa that it could lock on to someone want to tell me why maybe I'll try it again. Bob

My Garmin 60CSX works like a charm all over southern africa. (I loaded Garmaps for the region. )
Namibia, Botswana, Zim and RSA.
Down to the farm boundaries.

Who makes Etrac??

SC, If you have never been to Africa or even if you have get a good South African Bird Book. We keep it in the vehicle all day long. Your PH may know a lot of them but maybe not. A small paper back one works great even around camp.

SC, If you have never been to Africa or even if you have get a good South African Bird Book. We keep it in the vehicle all day long. Your PH may know a lot of them but maybe not. A small paper back one works great even around camp.

or for the more technically minded folks:)

Apps for your Iphone:

eguide to Mammals of Southern africa

Sasol eBirds of Southern Africa

My Garmin 60CSX works like a charm all over southern africa. (I loaded Garmaps for the region. )
Namibia, Botswana, Zim and RSA.
Down to the farm boundaries.

Who makes Etrac??

Sorry (Spelling) Etrax its made by Garmin.

There have been some issues with those models taking a while (long time) to acquire satellites.
Do not move until the device has acquired the signal or it will take forever or not at all. (even with lots of availability)

Splurge and get one of these. This is the updated version of mine.

Review: Garmin GPSMAP 62 handheld GPS device | Gadgets | Geek.com

Thanks Brick I'll check one out I know if I didn't move until I got a signal with my Etrax I'd have to claim residence in RSA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg