What would you pay?

What would you want to pay for this rifle?


  • Total voters
    36

Hornedfrogbbq

Gold supporter
AH elite
Joined
Mar 8, 2022
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
1,584
Media
1
I thought I would try a poll...and having never done this, we'll see if my slow techno-brain can actually do it.

There has been a real nice Dakota 76 chambered in .404J for sale for some time. I have no interest in it but it comes up in searches (that is how I saw it). It has some bells and whistles (case hardening, rings and scope, etc). See here https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...s-76-african-404-jeffery.cfm?gun_id=103616185
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 2026-09-01 at 3.39.28 PM.png
    Screenshot 2026-09-01 at 3.39.28 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 138
  • Screenshot 2026-09-01 at 3.39.31 PM.png
    Screenshot 2026-09-01 at 3.39.31 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 140
  • Screenshot 2026-09-01 at 3.39.33 PM.png
    Screenshot 2026-09-01 at 3.39.33 PM.png
    538.4 KB · Views: 137
No thanks. Not at any price listed above. I already have a 404. $12K is the going rate for a quality Cape buffalo hunt. A much better investment in my opinion, even if it meant using a rental rifle. I can't take my money with me when I die but I don't see any point in being frivolous with it while I'm alive. Sets a bad example for my grandkids.
 
I voted, but frankly would not pay the amount I selected for it (8K) - but that is what I think is a more reasonable price to actually move it.
 
I have a 404 that is a full AHR custom that’s is very similar in build to this rifle. I think the asking price is unreasonable in this market, however you cannot have a similar rifle built by anyone for less than $10000 (and probably more than this).

Also factory rifles such Heym or Rigby will cost much for than the asking price for fewer bells and whistles.
 
It's the same as any current production wood and blued steel big game rifle, Dakota, Rigby, Heym,.....truly just not worth what they are asking for them. Out of them all though, Dakota is the most reasonable for what you get, IMO.
 
Need a new category, none of the above. A shooting aquantance of mine had a Dakota 76 in 338 win mag. To be kind it was not a nice rifle. After firing he could not open the chamber to eject the shell. Needless to say I am not a fan.
 
First of all let's think about a public sale versus a private sale. Gulf Breeze is a retail store and he wants top money for his guns. As for a private sale I would say $8,000.
 
I selected 10k. I think it worth that but I realize I’m in the minority. For some reason the 404 Jeffery seems to command a premium, I don’t know why? Rifle appears to be in excellent, perhaps new condition. I do not know if Gulf Breeze is open to negotiation but that is what I’d offer.
 
Parkwest will build you that exact rifle for around $13,805 and deliver in 6-12 months. It's a standard 404J with upgrade to color case hardening. Nice that it has a quarter rib too.

$13,000 is reasonable for what it is, amplified by the fact it is a Dakota. Also a bonus that it is a longer 14" length of pull, not the standard 13-5/8"
 
For what it’s worth you can build the same thing on Parkwest’s website for less than what this is listed for sale.

Not if you add the correct upgrades. Quarter rib. Upgraded wood. Ebony plugged crossbolts. Custom LOP. Color Case Hardening. Etc.

The upgrades I cannot detect unless in hand is if the barrel was upgraded, if it has a pop-up night sight, if it was rust blued, folding/standing rear sight count, etc.

But a Dakota is worth more than a Parkwest as well.
 
This is an interesting example of the demand/supply curve and a demonstration that the demand for this item is not a flat line
 
I voted purely for the participation award. My most expensive rig is less than half the asking price, and it's the most expensive rig I'll ever buy. However, I'm not knocking anyone who would spend that on a beautiful piece like this. For me, I'll pick my Buff over the rifle.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,243
Messages
1,569,411
Members
168,694
Latest member
MatthewHill
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top